Procedure To Register Trials Bike?

I has recieved today paperwork from Beta UK which I believe is the certificate of newness (I think)?

I now need to get the necessary V5 registration paperwork now for proof of ownership and insurance purposess but are not sure of the next step.

Can any of you helpful TC people advise me of the procedure here?

Thanks

It's a bit long winded but here goes

A certificate of newness is a good start but you've still got a way to go. If the bikes brand new then it will be easier, however new or older you require DVLA form V55/5 and the guidance notes that support it. The form needs to be completed accurately and have all supporting documentation for submission to the DVLA. Documents include, certificate of newness, valid insurance certificate (issued against the VIN or frame number), proof that import duty has been paid and value of the machine. If the bike is three years old it will require an MOT. You also need proof of who you are i.e. birth certificate, passport or drivers licence together with the registration and licence fees.

It is likely that the DVLA will want to inspect the vehicle before a V5 and tax disc are issued (you'll need some patience here) some inspectors will check frame and engine numbers others will have a tape measure out and record seat height ground clearance for reasons unclear to me

Hope this doesn't put you off too much, prepare well and you should get on OK

Regards

John

• Like 1

It's a bit long winded but here goes

A certificate of newness is a good start but you've still got a way to go. If the bikes brand new then it will be easier, however new or older you require DVLA form V55/5 and the guidance notes that support it. The form needs to be completed accurately and have all supporting documentation for submission to the DVLA. Documents include, certificate of newness, valid insurance certificate (issued against the VIN or frame number), proof that import duty has been paid and value of the machine. If the bike is three years old it will require an MOT. You also need proof of who you are i.e. birth certificate, passport or drivers licence together with the registration and licence fees.

It is likely that the DVLA will want to inspect the vehicle before a V5 and tax disc are issued (you'll need some patience here) some inspectors will check frame and engine numbers others will have a tape measure out and record seat height ground clearance for reasons unclear to me

Hope this doesn't put you off too much, prepare well and you should get on OK

Regards

John

And the most important bit - remember to fill in forms with black ink !

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to road register my Ossa and because there is no one that can confirm it's date of manufacture they wouldnt allow me to register it.

They said that Ossa factory has dispanded as have the records and that i would need a club to verify the age. Can anyone here help please.

Would be very greatful

Regards Frank

I want to register my TY/Majesty Yam and have written to Yamaha uk for confirmation of age but have been ignored, does anyone know where I can get proof of age that the DVLA will accept ? I have matching frame and engine numbers for bike.

I tried to road register my Ossa and because there is no one that can confirm it's date of manufacture they wouldnt allow me to register it.

They said that Ossa factory has dispanded as have the records and that i would need a club to verify the age. Can anyone here help please.

Would be very greatful

Regards Frank

The Vintage Motorcycle Club in Burton on Trent should be able to provide you with a dating certificate for the Ossa. I think they now have the frame reference ID chart, your frame number will denote which model/year it is. DVLA will accept proof of age from VMCC. They're very helpful, you can find their website via google. Can't remember what the fee is for this service but not too much.

After you have proof of age, the procedure is the same as stated in a previous post.

I want to register my TY/Majesty Yam and have written to Yamaha uk for confirmation of age but have been ignored, does anyone know where I can get proof of age that the DVLA will accept ? I have matching frame and engine numbers for bike.

Maybe your letter hasn't got to where it needs to. I've spoken to Yamaha UK customer services a few times in the past and the lady there, Moira I think, was always helpful. If it is a TY frame you're ok as Yamaha can date it, if it is a Godden frame you may have trouble as no-one except Shirt has the records for those and I couldn't get a letter from him for mine. The Godden frame number, or the name Majesty, won't mean a thing to Yamaha.

In your position I'd phone Yamaha UK, make sure you get their customer services number. You may as well ask for Moira as she may still be there. I wouldn't mention Majesty, just refer to it as a Yamaha TY. They'll only provide a dating certificate from a written request but at least if you speak to them first you can be sure of where to send your request, or maybe they'll accept it by fax. Be prepared though, they always put on the certificate wording to the effect that it is an offroad bike and as such may not meet the traffic act regulations, lighting etc. DVLA usually understand it's a trials bike and aren't bothered about this.

The Vintage Motorcycle Club in Burton on Trent should be able to provide you with a dating certificate for the Ossa. I think they now have the frame reference ID chart, your frame number will denote which model/year it is. DVLA will accept proof of age from VMCC. They're very helpful, you can find their website via google. Can't remember what the fee is for this service but not too much.

After you have proof of age, the procedure is the same as stated in a previous post.

Thank you very much. i am checking that out now.

Regards Frank

Thanks Woody,

I have not tried to ring them but thanks for that, I will try customer services, yes it is a modified yamaha frame and matches engine number so should be ok there,

a bit off topic I know but anyone know best way to rig up speedo and horn for test, it has electronic igniton so no field coils to power a horn, is it easiest to get a speedo for a pushbike from halfords or something similar.

Edited by ausy300pro

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to Hijack the thread but i'm Currently rebuilding a MH349 obviously its had a few owners but the engine numbers there as are the frame plate etc. Would it originally had any sort of logbook when new? I know when mates have been stopped on field bikes they have to prove ownership?