Twinshocks - More Fun?

madog

I'm new to trials but got to thinking the other day, what's the verdict on twinshock bikes, personally I prefer older bikes to newer ones (on the road), more charachter,

whilst I can apprieciate the weight and reliabilty isses with older bikes, surely there a greater sense of achievment from competing with an older bike,

Parts availablity to one side would there be any more maintance required to keep an old montesa or bultaco fit for purpose

Would an older bike be suitable for beginners or should I stick to a new a bike as possible, funds permitting

Be good to hear what the general feeling is on here, maybe youv'e been down this road yourself, or lucky enough to own / trial both old and new

Hello i am lucky i have both a modern and a twinshock trials bike, but i have only used my twinshock (fantic 240) once in a trial because it is crap. Do not get me wrong i rode a fantic in the 80s in the ssdt 3 times and they were good and the one i have now is in good nick but when you go near water no brakes and every thing just feels heavy.Dont get me wrong any bike is fun and beats the hell out of being with out a bike but try and get a go on both then you can make your own mind up after all it is you money.

It is undeniably true that you will never suffer fan motor failure, casing corosion, failing thermostats, worry over which coolant to use or the like on an older air cooled bike. However I think that is balanced by the fact that you can almost ignore the modern brakes between events whereas it really is necessary to take the wheels out and dry drum brakes every time (in my experience) if you want to maintain a consistent level of braking. Note I don't say an excellent level; adequate for its day but borderline for a lot of what you are expected to ride now.

Just about all you absolutely have to do every time now on a modern bike is clean the air filter - the Fantic twinshock had the best trials filter set up ever put in to production.

While we were glad to have the increased reliability of the Bulto and Mont over the general Villiers level of the day we were even more glad to get the reliability levels introduced by Yamaha and those still available, to a reasonable extent, from the current European manufacturers. When you take the weight difference in to account it is much easier on old backs like mine.

Pick the right bike and a modern should be better. You are right about the achievement level though; a lot of modern trials seem to go round the rock steps we put Bultos up 40 years ago.

Since your new to trials I would advise a modern bike as they are easier to ride and your level will improve quicker than on a twinshock,

I now ride a twinshock as my days of riding every weekend and practicing atleast once a week are out of the window due to family. I am enjoying the occasional riding now a lot more than when I finnished riding modern bikes every weekend. I guess I reached the highest level I was going to reach on a modern bike.

Trials has so much to offer, and the easier you make it, the more fun you'll get out of it,

You will probably get a modern bike up to 5 year old cheaper than a decent twinshock anyway.

same as the other poster i'm lucky enough to have both and like to use them both, i was on my old beamish suzuki at the weekend and loved it, it was doing stuff people didn't expect it to, i'll take the sherco next time

i'd recommend starting with a modern bike, easier to ride, balance, power on tap and instant response and the biggest factors in my opinion the suspension and brakes

good luck with it

tony

There's nothing wrong at all with twinshock bikes,they can be bulletproof if they are put together properly and are well maintained,the poor brakes dont really matter - they just encourage more thought and better tactics.Its always fun to see a really good rider on an old twinshock or Cub etc,breeze through a section that a glamed up mono rider makes a total pickle of.

Be nice to even see my bikes let alone ride them,being on "holiday" in Oz meant I missed the Exmoor 3 day,and now it looks like I'm going to be stuck here a while.

Edited by jon v8

hey,

i'm one of the lucky guys riding twinshock (honda tlr and bsa b40) and modern bikes, i like the twinshock bikes more than modern bikes. My honda is 100% reliable and i have nearly no work on this bike, just change the oil every 4 events and clean the air filter. brakes are very good and i clean them only when needed (after a very wet and muddy trial).

i ofter ride modern trials on the honda and i get better results on my honda in very slippery conditions. Later twinshocks are very reliable and capable of doing things most modern riders can only dream of and they keep there value.

modern bikes are great fun to and they are easier to start on but stay away from the big cc bikes (sherco 290, 320, gasgas 300, 280, ...)

to my idea one of the best newcomer bikes is the little scorpa 175 4 stroke.

best regards bob

hey

I think to that riding twinshock to makes you a beter rider, even on a modern bike

we have some events here that are modern but not to much hopping just floing sections on hils and i usually beat the riders that only ride modern style

where as in the modern style events i struggle a bit more.

but here modern trials are moastly in in the winter and the nice oldtimer trials are in spring and summer so thats perfect for me

best regards bob

Thanks for the respones, will stick with the modern stuff for now, plus going to need the easist machine as possible got a steep learning curve as it is!

may look to buy a project in the future but more for the fun of the restoration than riding

Besides getting enough grief at home at the moment for adding another "toy" to the collection

Remember the good old days ?

Well they wernt none.

nooo me points and condensor have gone. Sh*t the auto lube cable streched n starved the piston of 2 stroke.

Ill cut slots in me shoes to get grip when ive been through a puddle.

Christ me Dad wants his NCB wellies back hes on shifts.

Helmet what helmet ive got a beanie on ill be ok

Edited by smalley250

while I'm riding and beating much more modern machinery on my '74 TY250, I'll still have it for ages yet! After all, owning it for 25 years, you get to know how to throw it around with little or no damage in the sections! And it's been a very economical little bike too!

while I'm riding and beating much more modern machinery on my '74 TY250, I'll still have it for ages yet! After all, owning it for 25 years, you get to know how to throw it around with little or no damage in the sections! And it's been a very economical little bike too!

I'll bet it's a bit like Triggers brush.......ha ha ha !