Dougie's Monday Problem

5again

Dougie's comeback ride has obviously been one of many highlights of this year's event, but I was wondering does anybody know what was the problem with Dougie's bike on Monday that caused such a loss of time ? - saw a vid on youtube of him trying to kick it into life, then wheeling it away, Then what happened ? presumably he carries a spare plug, wonder how it was fixed, whatever it was.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doug arrived at the final Lagnaha sections in good time ( possibly ahead) the last sections were a double sub up a tricky gully. he left the bike at the bottom and walked the section for perhaps 3 - 5 minutes. returning to the bike he kicked it up and it would fire ( smoke was seen from the exhasut ) but it ran poorly / not at all. he and james swapped the plug to no avail, something else was also changed ( ignition pack?) again to no avail. the bike was wheeled to the road and further work was done on the bike by doug. approx. 20 - 30 minutes later the bike could be seen running but smoking very very heavily and then doug charged the field/ hill to attempt the section.

at least 30 minutes after walking the difficult sections and minus the rear guard and seat doug waited for one rider to tackle the section then literally fought every inch to get the bike uo the section. by the time he cleared the top sub the bike seemed to be running ok and cleanly. he raced back to the road refused the rear guard and sped off for town hall brae ( the final section)

the undoing was instead of a final time control at the west end carpark which been 20 miles and a section away would have given him chance to make up some lost time the time control was under the bridge at ballachulish barely 3 miles away.

Right before the gossip starts this is how it happened, as I was about 2 feet away?

Doug had almost completed the day and had the last 2 sections to do in Lagnaha, the bike had been playing up but was still running Doug also had a problem with his shock so Mart had headed back to the Fort to get sorted in Park Ferme as time was tight?

Having walked the section Doug was in the queue with a clubby rotorvating his way up the last 2 subs, Doug stopped the bike to check if the line was still OK and not littered with rocks from the rotorvating! Went back to the bike which he said started, but was running backwards? stopped it then it wouldn't start. They tried a new plug and all the immediate remedies, but dead as a 'DoDo'' so a phone call to Park Ferme where Mart and Griff set off back to Lagnaha with a van full of spares (of course Mart obeyed all speed limits?)

Doug and bike were back down by the road now and set about removing flywheel and stator (obvious choice initially, however the stator is well sorted on the new EVO but it was still the immediate thought): then sat about waiting for Mart. I had worked his time card out and he had about 20 minutes to time control at this point.

Mart bunked up with Griff with the Police Cones conveniently moved to one side and he then ran over the old stator!!! Good job they had a new one and was put on in double quick time, kicked the bike still no joy! Changed most other electrical parts, kicked still no joy!! Griff then said well last thing we can do is change the ignition coil, but they never go (JL apparantly only take s a couple to the SSDT as they never fail?), quick change and it fired up, so with the coil strapped to the frame with a cable tie, no rear mudguard, no flywheel cover he set off ''SCOTT'' style back up to do the last 2 subs, back down the hill and down the road burning rubber!!

.....and thats about it. Fair play to Doug for carrying on and for putting in 3 clean days

Better Luck in 2011 :thumbup:

should have stuck with the fat old Monts - Scott and SSDT win out the window on these modern 2 strokes!!!

Best of luck to Doug for the last day and agree that it shows real determination and not being afraid of being beaten to keep going.

Easy choice just to stop. Who knows what may happen -Brownies 5 marks for bike not starting shows anything is possible.

Nice to see Caby struggling a bit - shows us Brits can ride proper trials still.

Guest HDfilm

Coil the first thing!!!

All riders should remember this carry a tested spare coil. I am very surprised the ignition coil was not the first thing that was changed, reading the problem the coil came to mind as this has happened to me over the years many timed, just bad luck I was not at the location at the time as I would of suggested change the coil.

HD Cameraman Robert McClymont. Kinlochleven.

Guest HDfilm

What time and location did Doug's bike fail as I was at Lagnaha but not all day?

I am looking back on Monday's footage.

Hd cameraman Robert.

Guest HDfilm

I had a couple of calls about this.

Coils can fail a common electrical fault due to them heating up just like a electrical extension lead if used wound up it will heat up and melt under full load so remember that as well next time you use an electric extension cable.

Have a good safe year see you all in 2011.

Hd Camerman Robert McClymont. Kinlochleven.

Guest HDfilm

Yes coils might not have failed in the past however chances are very high the leaders coils will fail as they apply lets say FULL LOADS hard riding!!!

I can not help further but remember spaire TESTED coil with you at ALL times, you test spaire coil by puting on bike keep it with the bike so you know it works that is how I garantee I have a spaire that works.

Robert.

Guest HDfilm

Looking back on my times and footage I was NOT at Lagnaha same time as Dougie so could not help.

Edited by HDfilm

Guest HDfilm

It's not Beta's quality fault it's a common every day fault coils can fail anytime new or old they only take so much HEAT so do not blaim Beta this was just bad luck!!!

HD cameraman Robert McClymont. Kinlochleven.

Coil the first thing!!!

All riders should remember this carry a tested spare coil. I am very surprised the ignition coil was not the first thing that was changed, reading the problem the coil came to mind as this has happened to me over the years many timed, just bad luck I was not at the location at the time as I would of suggested change the coil.

No you're wrong, with Beta's the first thing you check is the Stator then the CDI unit. The coils are ULTRA RELIABLE, you use your experience fault solving with the specific bike because generalisation can cause further delay.

Doug was awsome this week!!