Dougie's Monday Problem

5again

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you're wrong, with Beta's the first thing you check is the Stator then the CDI unit. The coils are ULTRA RELIABLE, you use your experience fault solving with the specific bike because generalisation can cause further delay.

Doug was awsome this week!!

Spot on there Donald. Doug knew the Stators had been sorted on the Evo's, but history would point you in that direction so was the immediate thought? There was a very faint spark but very intermitant!

As Doug did not have a Stator, Coil, CDI...............I can't really see what difference it would have made as the bike was stripped and the lost time was sat around waiting for Mart to bunk up?

To change the Stator, CDI and Coil was a matter of a few minutes!

So HDfilm your super prognosis from the top of Lagnaha was right, but would not have saved his day?

it shows how keen he was to get going again if he headed off without mudguard, flyweel cover etc!!

One thing for certain is that I'd say numerous people will be framing the 1st days results knowing it might be the only time they will be able to say they beat Dougie Lampkin in a trial, it also goes to show he would have won the event easily if not for his unfortunate mishap

it shows how keen he was to get going again if he headed off without mudguard, flyweel cover etc!!

One thing for certain is that I'd say numerous people will be framing the 1st days results knowing it might be the only time they will be able to say they beat Dougie Lampkin in a trial, it also goes to show he would have won the event easily if not for his unfortunate mishap

...and so would have micheal brown and then wiggy had a soft 5 on the first day, and dibs lost time and so on.

The scores don't lie the rest is hypothetical.

No you're wrong, with Beta's the first thing you check is the Stator then the CDI unit. The coils are ULTRA RELIABLE, you use your experience fault solving with the specific bike because generalisation can cause further delay.

Doug was awsome this week!!

Using this "specific bike" mentality, would you not check perhaps the kill button first? I have had failed coils and stators, probably more stators, but I would always check the easiest items first ( kill button, coil, stator......) Sounds to me like lack of "generalization" can cause further delay.

Using this "specific bike" mentality, would you not check perhaps the kill button first? I have had failed coils and stators, probably more stators, but I would always check the easiest items first ( kill button, coil, stator......) Sounds to me like lack of "generalization" can cause further delay.

erm, me, erm no...I rip them buggers off when I get them.....in gear, hold front brake, let out clutch does not cause leccy probs!!

Yes Dougie was awesome for the rest of the week but sadly lost the trial due to mechanical (electrical) problems, reliability is an important factor to any event and sometimes luck goes agains you.

F1's Lewis Hamilton looked like he had second place inthe bag until he had a puncture near the end, all that work for nothing. At least Dougie made the best of a bad thing and pulled of a top ten finish. Well done for giving it his best try!

Pete

Guest HDfilm

I like to make clear I am not blaming anyone for not changing coil first the fault was diagnosed in the right order however is it not quicker to change the coil first?

Take a note from the older generation I am over 50 years old that is why I know electrical coils fail on all types of vehicles sometimes without warning.

Yes lads you need to carry a back up coil as well!!!!

Thank you for your time reading I hope it helps in the future.

Robert.

I like to make clear I am not blaming anyone for not changing coil first the fault was diagnosed in the right order however is it not quicker to change the coil first?

Take a note from the older generation I am over 50 years old that is why I know electrical coils fail on all types of vehicles sometimes without warning.

Yes lads you need to carry a back up coil as well!!!!

Thank you for your time reading I hope it helps in the future.

Robert.

Whilst I understand your point and to some extent I agree with the need to carry spares, you do need to draw the line somewhere. Is a coil more likely to fail than a stator, or a CDI, or a fan, or a throttle cable or even a wheel bearing? What about breakages such as levers, bars, foot rests.... the list goes on.

I've never had a coil go but I have had two stators pack in so by my past experience, I'd rather carry a stator than a coil. Yes I've got a coil in my tool kit, along with all the other items I've mentioned plus more, but you can opnly carry so much.

I can forgive Dougie for taking 45mins to diagnose and fix the problem, for many including me it would have marked the end of the trial. So to end up eight was a fabulous effort. :thumbup:

Pete

Robert, Do you ride a trials bike? If so which make and model. I've never heard of a coil going in a trial and don't know anyone who carries a spare one (though I'm sure some will). Beta's have in the past had electrical problems with stators and almost everyone here would have changed that first on loss of spark on a beta.

You say you've had a few go in the past and I'm wondering what you're riding. Is that the bio diesel bike you designed last year. if so there shouldn't be a coil at all so why carry a spare?

Guest HDfilm

At least one thing came out of this that is Dougie proved just what he can achieve from 65th position on Monday to 8th position on the final day is more than an achievement for any rider and machine well done Dougie. This fault could of happened to any rider.

If I was lucky enough to get to ride SSDT the first thing I would do is get a new HT coil test it on the bike store it in a dry place and put it on the bike day before the trial carrying the older HT coil with me for back up.

A note on getting out of trouble

In the forces you are trained to use what is around you to get you out of trouble carry the spares that work with you at all times. A drinks can and a coin can repair a burst pipe. As a boy I got a flat tyre on my bike I packed the tyre with grass to get me home I had no tools to take the tyre off with me I used what was around me.

Best see you all next year for a FAB 100th.

Robert McClymont. Kinlochleven.

Guest HDfilm
Robert, Answer my question please. What bike do you ride now and which bikes did you have coil faults on?

BigFOOT

I had a Honder 125 many years ago just for fun coil failed twice. I am looking for a trials bike and as you know a diesel trials bike if possible that I have not found yet. I am in the cooking oil