Wow, Yet Another Tyre Topic.

cabby

I have just found a tear in the side wall of my rear tyre and being new to the game I wasn't sure what tyre to get.

So having looked at the recent poll on tyres it seems the ICR (currently what's on) and the x 11 are by far the most popular, however, I'm interested to know why no one has picked the pirelli tyre ??

As I say, it's all fairly new to me but what is it with Pirelli ??? They make fantastic road tyres

Stuart

They do but a road tyre and trials tyre are very different animals. I've never used one but understand they are quite hard like the other smaller makes. My understanding is that if you want grip over price its down to Dunlop, Michelin or IRC.

People seem to like the IRC but I've not tried one yet. Its on to do list.

Yep, I appreciate they are two different animals, but they are a huge tyre manufacturer and would've thought they could turn their hand to trials tyres though...

...oh and they are approx

For my money the IRC is the superior rear tyre but I still use a Michelin front.

The IRC is softer and grips a lot better in slippery conditions and mud, however in drier conditions there is, IMO, less to differentiate them.

My only criticism of them is that since they got really popular they have nearly doubled in price ^_^ however this is probably partly due to the importers/dealers I suspect.

Ref: Pirelli - I didn't even know they still made a trials tyre (do they make one??) they used to make a few - MT13 then the MT43 then the MT73. In their day they were OK and the MT73 was comparable with the old Michelin X1 W

They were cheaper, however they wore really poorly and lost their grip edge quickly whereas the Michelin's held on for longer and wore better. I guess that trials is such a niche market that for Pirelli to re-establish themselves against Michelin and IRC would be expensive with ultimately very little reward.

HOWEVER when IRC came along they were unknown to most people and as the poll suggests they are now the tyre of choice for many riders in the UK. SO I'm sure Pirelli could do the same if they wanted to.....

I suppose we are talking all tubeless IRC are what I use ( locally we have mostly roots and muddy banks) edge lasts longer sidewalls softer etc however they are prone to the bead getting knocked off if you riding rocks or if you get a puncture the bead will almost certainly pop off the rim in a very short time.. Dunlops I understand are the tyre of choice for staying on the rim and are e.g the tyre of choice for e.g the scottish, Michelin are a good compromise of the other two. I also wonder how the price of IRC 's doubled...(It is a rheotorical wondering though).

DBF, I'd avoid Pirelli like you would avoid the taxman, they are horrific. My old man bought a set for his beta just before he stopped riding (Stroke) but my brother now uses it. First time out he rode the trial with the rear tyre nearly flat and still got no grip, horrible things. Never tried IRC but they seem popular I've always used Michelins when I can.

The Pirelli MT 43 is not a true trials tyre. Its is designed for dual sport use. Its a Bias-Ply tyre...It is not a Radial tyre like the Michellin, Dunlop, IRC....

Are they even made for tubeless?

The mud folk seem to like the IRC, the rock folk seem to like the Mich, I kinda like the Dunlops,as they do seem to like the low pressures.

• 1 month later...
Dont laugh but i have used Mich,Dun,IRC and Vee Rubber. And for ever day trials Vee Rubber wins, dont think i would use it in the SSDT.

i was wondering how these would perform i noticed they are at a good price,is the grip level good on them,and how do they wear,i just bought a new michelin for the front of mine but the price of the vee tyre was very tempting but never had any idea on performance,and i need all the help i can to stay on at the best of time lol.

Strictly speaking of course the tyre has to be on the ACU approved list for trials - is it there? If it's a dual sport then it may not be.

there is no list, but the handbook does a diagram about the spec and lets just say no one has tested that all the tyres we are talking about match it .....

re the pirelli MT43, the current one (for the last year or so) has been down (from pirelli) as both suitable for tubed and tubeless use, while before that they made two types (like IRC do), ie a tubed and tubeless tyre

as to what tyre to use, the real question is what sort of level of rider are you, what's your budget and what sort of use do you want?

ie if money is no object, your an expert and ride rocks, then a Michelin trials light might be fore you. if your a tight fisted ex student who couldn't ride a novice route for less than a windmill score (that might be me then), then stuff like the pirelli (middle of the road) down to budget tyres like the vee rubber, mitas, etc might do. again pre65 or tubed is different form tubeless while some tyres are better on rocks, while others are great on mud (ie might work in the south and or the winter).