grip fitting top tips

twinkletoes

Any top tips for an easy fit and keeping them stuck in place?

Usually fit them warm to dry bars with some type of grip glue them wire tie them. Usually they work slightly loose after a while, perhaps i am just wringing them too hard as i try to stay on.

Just wondering what methods others out there have had sucess with.This particular pair i am about to fit are pro-grips.

cheers

I always use carb cleaner.

Quick squirt and swill around the grip, quickly shake out excess, and shove it on.

The carb cleaner makes the inside of the grip go tacky so is kinda like using glue.

Done this for the last 10 years, and can only remember one occasion where a grip slipped. Never used wire either.

Any top tips for an easy fit and keeping them stuck in place?

Usually fit them warm to dry bars with some type of grip glue them wire tie them. Usually they work slightly loose after a while, perhaps i am just wringing them too hard as i try to stay on.

Just wondering what methods others out there have had sucess with.This particular pair i am about to fit are pro-grips.

cheers

wd40 works well,i use it all the time.

I have found over many years that the best way is to put some masking tape on the bar to give a grippier surface and to increase diameter to suit the particular grip. Lubricate grip with electrical cleaner or similar that will evaporate and not leave any residue. I've never wired grips on having seen too many cut thumbs in the old days when we rode gloveless and folk left the end a bit untidy.

It beats me why we still have this problem as the mountain bike guys sorted it years ago with grips that clamp on. I'm surprised nobody has done this as it has to be a way to make money by selling different colour clamps to the sort of people who bother about such things - which seems to be a fair proportion of riders judging by the "bling" that appears to be in demand.

I have always just used a little soapy water from a spray bottle with the renthal grips i use. I just spray a little on the bars and some in the grip. shake the grip alittle so its coated on the inside and slide the grip on. Let it dry over night and the next day they stay on solid no slipping. Even on hot days. I never used any other tricks with glues or spray paints or even wire tieing them to the bars. I never had a single issue with grips sliding. Also it helps to pay attention to your grips. I dont know about other brands however the Renthal Trials grips Meds i use are sizing on the inside diamiter one being larger than the other. Thus one for throttle and one for plain bar.

Electrical tape has always worked for me. double it over so it's sticky on both sides and wrap it round the handle from the middle outwards, slightly overlapping the tape you've already put on. put some petrol (preferably without 2 stroke oil) in the grip and shake. empty the petrol and quickly push the grip on. Petrol is better than carb/brake cleaner as it doesn't evaporate as fast, giving you more time. never use WD40.

super sticky with no wires and no mess and easy to remove and clean up for next time!