Fully or semi ?

cabby

I have always used fully synthetic oil in my trials bike, however, I have just read elsewhere that one of the top riders in Britain uses semi and said fully is a big no no ?

Anyone care to tell me what the benefits are of semi against fully or vice versa and should I change to semi ?

• Dislike 1

just to add confusion, i use this stuff, its a synthetic blend, whatever that is. i have used for years, and whenever i have stripped engines that have used this it leave a nice coating on all the surfaces.

cheers

paul

http://www.feridax.com/product/0264571/3/3660/pj1_oils_632.html

I got some a while back and was quite stunned to read the bottle

" known by the state of California to cause cancer " or something like that.

Perhaps the Californians should tell others and not keep this big secret to themselves !

Full synthetic gives the lesser amount of smoke, lubricates best under extreme conditions (pressure and temperature), causes less carbon build-up in the combustion zone, tends to create less ring gumming issues

Semi synthetic is not quite as good as synthetic in all those areas, but protects the steel items inside the motor (conrod bearings especially) from corrosion better than synthetic while the bike is not being ridden.

I have always used fully synthetic oil in my trials bike, however, I have just read elsewhere that one of the top riders in Britain uses semi and said fully is a big no no ?

Anyone care to tell me what the benefits are of semi against fully or vice versa and should I change to semi ?

do you mean in your petrol or gearbox ?

which bike are we talking about ?

• Dislike 1

I think he is full of crap, and trying to push off something. He needs to stick with riding, not oil engineering.

Flip side to all this seems to me that the high quality simi blends work just as well in a trials bike, and in most cases the less you use the better off you are whisst putting about.

The type of running to occasionally blow them out is far more important than this debate.

• Dislike 1

I think he is full of crap, and trying to push off something. He needs to stick with riding, not oil engineering.

he may well be full of crap, but he certainly wasn't pushing anything on me, just his take on things, and given he's British Expert A champion 2010, reckon listening to his opinion/advice may well carry more salt that any tom dick or Harry over the tinternet :rolleyes: granted I did ask :iamwithstupid:

As for oil engineering, you gotta laugh at that comment, I ask a question, get a few various answers, and you tell him to stick to riding and not oil engineering :rotfl:

he may well be full of crap, but he certainly wasn't pushing anything on me, just his take on things, and given he's British Expert A champion 2010, reckon listening to his opinion/advice may well carry more salt that any tom dick or Harry over the tinternet :rolleyes: granted I did ask :iamwithstupid:

As for oil engineering, you gotta laugh at that comment, I ask a question, get a few various answers, and you tell him to stick to riding and not oil engineering :rotfl:

who is the rider?

Did he tell you, or did you read it?

As you say he wasn’t pushing anything on you, but you said you read it :huh:

Edited by Monty_Jon

You said he uses semi, and fully synth is a no-no.

Now you are saying he didn't many ANY type of oil!!!!!!!

What have you been drinking?

What have you been drinking more like, have another read of your post :rolleyes:

My comment was in relation to copemech alluding possibly to him pushing something, saying he uses semi instead of fully is hardly pushing a product is it :rolleyes:

Edited by Thedbf