Best twinshock Fantic...?

johnnyboxer

So, which in your opinion is the best twinshock Fantic?

Some say the Mineralli rear kick 200's, others the 240's forward kick and others say the Pro versions

I rode against the early Fantic 200s in the early 80's and they seemed to go well

Are Fantics the best twinshock bikes or are there any other marques/brands that are better

Let us know your opinions?

I think the problem with the 240's are that there abit more bulkier than the 200,In my view the 200 is just the right size for Trial,i bought a 240 in need of restoration a few years ago,it's now sitting at the back of the garage still untouched which is'nt a good sign,i just don't have the same taste for the 240.

• Like 1

In 1978 I rode a TY175. In 1979, the 125 fanny beat everything. In 1980 i rode a beamish. The 200s beat everything. In 1983 I saw that the 240s beat every thing. in 1984, the ty mono happend and cleaned up. as far as Twin shock goes and at that time at National loevel, the fantics are the best.

These days, the sections seem easier 8I am told) at least we dont bend 240 frames like we did then.

Anyhows, IMO the fantic win handsdown. The 200 Minarelli was good enough then. the 240 can move my lardy weight a bit better and my small ego says I need a 340

pay yer money and take yer choice.

majesty/TLR/Jumbos are just not for me

• Like 1

I own a TY125, TY250 and a Fantic200, the 200 has a very god frame, a very smooth operating engine with enough power for hills and normal steps. For a normal non high professional driver it will be the best twinshock ever build...

A 300 engine in the 240 frame, known as 340, might be the best for very god drivers who wants to anger modern Trials rider....

Best twinshock Fantic in its time was the Minarelli 200. The very last ones had 240 type forks too and the 240 style graphics on the tank and sidepanels... this is before the forward kick models.

I remember that the Minarelli ones used to whine a bit due to straight cut primary gears.... Some jerk came to buy it.. had a good test ride got it muddied up and said.. hmm there is a slight whine from the engine... I'll have to strip it down so I'll need 100 quid off... :barf:

As said in above posts it beat lots of other stuff..

The 300 had a more modern geometry, better steering, more stable etc. etc. etc. than a 240, but it was too late. The Yam mono was out and everybody else was on catch up.

I hasd a 300 and once the suspension was set up it was great... that is until i got a Yam Mono...

Best twinshock Fantic in its time was the Minarelli 200. The very last ones had 240 type forks too and the 240 style graphics on the tank and sidepanels... this is before the forward kick models.

I remember that the Minarelli ones used to whine a bit due to straight cut primary gears.... Some jerk came to buy it.. had a good test ride got it muddied up and said.. hmm there is a slight whine from the engine... I'll have to strip it down so I'll need 100 quid off... :barf:

As said in above posts it beat lots of other stuff..

The 300 had a more modern geometry, better steering, more stable etc. etc. etc. than a 240, but it was too late. The Yam mono was out and everybody else was on catch up.

I hasd a 300 and once the suspension was set up it was great... that is until i got a Yam Mono...

Why are the Minarelli 200's so good then? Weight/Frame/motor?

i've seen some with 4 pinch bolts on the front axle, is this the later front axle..................a la 240 then

• 3 weeks later...

So, which in your opinion is the best twinshock Fantic?

Some say the Mineralli rear kick 200's, others the 240's forward kick and others say the Pro versions

I rode against the early Fantic 200s in the early 80's and they seemed to go well

Are Fantics the best twinshock bikes or are there any other marques/brands that are better

Let us know your opinions?

The twin shock 200 is the best for Club use , unbustable , and you will have great FUN on one ,

I had a 240 for about 5yrs (recently) and it was great! I sold that when a mint condition 300 became available. The 300 geometry is much better and the suspension too. The motor is completely different than the 240, but easier to ride. It pulls like a tractor! I can use 1st to 3rd gear in any section, unlike some other twinshocks here. It is heavier however, so that is the trade off. I got rid of the stock tank which holds enough fuel to ride the entire SSDT on one tank! Aftermarket 200 style tank is mint! I do like the 300 alot!

It is for sale however as I only get to use it a few times a year which is a shame. I am not to great on the computer to post a pic, but if you are interested, email me and I can send you a few pictures.

Steve

I've started to use a 200 fwd kick bike which is really good, I was using a 240 before. The fwd kick 200 are a bit rare but I have found another which has been modified by Chris for footrests and head angle and will get all the mods done to it but will have to wait for rebuilding as too many projects and work to complete just now. Aiming to have it ready for Big John's event.

The bike I'm using just now has got 305 forks and rock shocks outback which work together real nice and fat bars fitted using a KTM enduro bike bar clamp. Usual footrest mod and a Sammy Miller brake pedal other than that its std. This I believe is the best Fantic twinshock (it is for me) until I finish the new bike.

Steve F said the words about the motor and Hamish said it twice above, and is last twin shock was a 320 works majesty I believe...... The 240, as a modded chassis suits mem perfectly. The 300 motor squeezed in makes it a dream...IMO

Edited by Lee Harris

I have a 240 and a 309,I freakin' love the 240,has a CT OKO carb and a Stefano silencer and it just absolutely snaps when I twist the throttle yet will just pottle along and pull when I need it to. It may be different than traditional trials bike operating characteristics but it's super fun,I'd like to put the 240 engine onto the 309 frame,opposite of conventional wisdom :banana2:. I haven't ridden a 200 or even seen one,or a 300 either.

I do have a Yamaha TY350 that I have been attempting to tune in,(a Previous post mentioned them)It's not turning out to be my cup of tea,too heavy of flywheel,seems to slip out sideways where my 240 tracks straight,but yet the weight feels too far back at the same time. just can't turn it as well,I am a beginner but my 240 and Gasgas don't cause any trouble with full lock turns. I'm Gonna sell that TY and try to pick up another 240 someday and stuff it into the 309,can't bring myself to sacrifice the 240 I have.

Is a 200 significantly lighter? Is a back kick as reliable as a forward kick? I had Minarelli powered bikes (50's,75's and 100's) when I was young,didn't really care for their clutch action,maybe they improved the trials models?

What piston supplier is everyone using for their 340 conversion bikes? My 309 is a bit rattly,won't be ridden again until I replace the piston,but I guess they have a reputation for quick piston wear(doing a complete restomod of her)

As I read through these I wonder how we define 'best' twinshock Fantic?

In its time I'd say the 200 minarelli.

The best was the 300 without a doubt (oh and they look so much better with the proper tank/panels and mudguards on too!).. and by this I mean the best to ride of them all BUT thats assuming we are comparing bikes that are fairly standard....if you start fiddling about with them then gawd knows!

I'm sure sombody has a ba5tardised 307/309 engined, modded to buggery, 300 Fantic with showa or whatever forks etc. etc. that rides really nice.

Horses for Horses or tricky bikes for twin shock courses. I'm not bothered about that bit its just hard to say what is a good twin shock Fantic if we are considering Frankenfantics too :D

Edited by Rosey