one handed?

chewy

I have been asked to make a adouble control lever , clutch & front brake for a guy (friend of a friend in France) who rides trials with only one hand. As far as I can tell he has a hook on his right arm and uses left hand for throttle clutch and front brake, His problem is that having two standard hydraulic lever mounts makes it difficult to reach one or the other lever. My first thoughts are to make a single resevoir with double cylinder and lever mounts using standard trials master cylinder parts and levers as much as possible (he must crash a fair bit and breakages/repairs for a unique part have to be simplified. I think he uses the index finger for clutch and second (next) finger for F brake, I am estimating c.35 degrees (vieved from end on) between the piston ctrs would be good. However I thought it might first be a good idea to ask if anyone else has already made/found a solution to this "problem". I really want to help the guy but I don't want to spend weeks making something that may already be available if anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

Have a look at Clake. It's supposed to be set up for the clutch and REAR brake but I don't see why you can't connect the front instead of the rear.

Hi Chewy, there is a guy on a 200 fantic (Captain Hook Trials team) who is missing his left hand. We has a clamp instead to hold the bars. He operateds cable clutch, cable front brake and throttle all with his right hand. I am sure he will be at exmmor in 5 weeks. If you want his details and want to talk to him, let me know

Lee

Why not opperate both brake via the foot brake using an adjustable brake bias valve to control the pressure between front and rear just like the rally cars do ?

much better idea,can't see if throttle brake and clutch are all on one hand it will help.

At least following what blocky is saying he ain't wanting to do stoppies is he?

Thanks all brilliant response I've sent the Clake link on and it may save me a lot of work if Lee could Fwd details of this guy I have a mate who will be at Exmoor trial perhaps between us all we can help the guy out. Thanks again

interesting engineering problem

couple of thoughts - two foot brake levers one slightly longer, inboard and slightly above a shorter lever, foot could apply each individually or both at once with slight rocking of the foot to exert different pressures on each, two stock master cylinders together, shorten one lever - off the shelf stuff easy to prototype

i knew an old bultaco with a thumb operated decompression lever underneath the throttle, thumb rear brake, first finger front brake so three fingers hanging on

just my thoughts

tony

Thanks all brilliant response I've sent the Clake link on and it may save me a lot of work if Lee could Fwd details of this guy I have a mate who will be at Exmoor trial perhaps between us all we can help the guy out. Thanks again

Get your guy to speak to bill hartnell. Or look for the guy wirh the hook. Usually has 2 or 3 luvely ladies following him taking pictures. He also has a bantam

We have a 74 year old rider here who has ridden for many years with his front brake and clutch on the left handle bar.

We got a BMX brake lever and cable and mounted this over his clutch lever and ran the cable to the normal front brake lever. When you pull the BMX lever it pulls the normal front brake lever. This allows him to move the system from one bike to another in around 5 minutes. This system also enables other people to ride his bike too.

what about two foot brakes one on either side?

Thats what i was thinking plus you can buy a clutch lever with an extra lever incorporated for a decompressor "Forged & Die cast shorty compression lever & clutch lever mounted onto a die cast perch. Easy access to the release lever makes it easy to use. Pt ref 13-015.F " they retail at around

Edited by Old trials fanatic

One could probably use one of those recluse clutch things, either without a lever at all, or with minimal need for it. Basically an auto clutch, with mechanical override.

Only trials bike I have seen it fit was the Scorpa 125-175 4T motor.