Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

I've just spent about two hours on the new 2012 Ossa Replica with LSS and Termignoni, running it in. Starting is very very easy, with an easy kick when warm the bike is starts half way through your kick. cold appears to be two easy kicks. However, this bike is brand new so everything is still very tight. Nice. The Termignoni, as asked in another post, is great, lower throaty sound, lot's of power, dual map so map 2 does settle it down, I expect as the bike runs in the power will increase. I was using the slow throttle to start, I'm sure the fast throttle and a set of carbon reeds will turn it into a fire breather. For most, the bike stock is plenty. Very light a nibble, unfortunately I don't have one for myself. next time maybe...cheers

oh, the LSS is not available yet as an after market, I'll check next Wed as Spain is on a National Holiday till then.

What are the differences between the 2 maps ? soft or banzi ?

I'm on map 13 and when I got it loaded the dealer said he thought there was 2 maps to it so do I need just a switch now to use them ?

My bike starts on 4-5 kicks cold and 1st kick even in gear when hot, but the longer and harder the trial the more tired I get and the harder it is to get going especially if you stuck on tricky terrain when you can't get up onto the pegs. I've got a ride in the Reeth 3 day this year and I'll be blowing out my a*** by day 3 so I'm deperate for this LSS system.

Hi Guys,I hope you didn't think I was bashing the Ossa in general with my last post ! I OWN ONE AS WELL, just frustrated when you start reading threads about some poor guys possibly may sell there bikes as they cant start them,yes I know there is a knack to it,But this is surpose to be a state of the art machine,but nearly everybody has had the same problem ! I have had mine about 3 months now, (1st kick hot ) & maybe (4-6 kicks cold),its a 2012 model but still on (Map-11),thats how it turned up from the dealer as they had some issue loading (Map-12) at the time so they just sent them out with (Map-11),that was after I contacted them to find out what map was in it,and since then have never been contacted.

My comparrison against other bikes is not without validation by the way,my mate has a Gasser (300 Raga) latest model,If all you guys think the Ossa is smooth down low,then you all need to go ride a 300 Raga,yes I know its 20cc bigger,but Gas Gas have the tunning down pat with the Kehin Flat Slide on that bike and it also makes bukets of power at the other end of the scale, we swap bikes when we are ridding regularly and yes they are super smooth right down low,my Ossa is pretty lumppy compared to it on the first 1/8" of throttle.

I know from speaking to another dealer in New Zealand that they have experimented by changing a few settings (outside the guidelines) with assistance from the UK importer and have had good results, better smoothness and power I believe.

My post was mainly about aftersales service on the bikes, when there is clearly improvements being made by the factory every month for our bikes,but due to these services not being able to be performed we are no better off,the great warrantty that Ossa have means nothing if these dealers don't have the equipment to perform these checks & upgrades.

Hi digga, did you change your OSSA into white fast throttle ? As I know all OSSA are come with slow black throttle , all GG, sherco, BETA are come with white fast throttle !

I did change my 2012 standard bike into white fast throttle, it turn out huge difference !

And now my brand new 2012 factory replica , also changed the white fast throttle ! This is super cool ! Powerful ! Fantistic

It seems that the distributors in UK, Canada and HK do an excellent job. They have all offered some advice and assistance.

The trials market in Australia is small, some dealers only sell a couple of bikes per year so I understand the difficulty in setting them all up with expensive software and all that but surely Ossa themselves should be doing something to make that equipment affordable.

The support here in Australia frankly is disappointing and not good enough.

I am really hoping my problems get sorted in the next week as I've nearly had enough of these bikes.

I rode today, 13 kicks to start it from cold. Once going I stalled it once and stopped once quickly, it started 1st kick both times. I had visitors who I chatted to for 10 minutes, 10 kicks to start it after only 10 minutes!!

It is beyond a joke and I am really regretting buying these bikes without a test ride as I would never have purchased knowing I would have the starting issue. I did my research, it seemed there was an issue and as long as you had the latest map all was well - so I ordered on the basis that both bikes were to come with the latest map. It seems that either this wasn't done or due care was not taken to ensure the maps, tps and idle were set correctly and as such I havn't had a very good month with them...

I changed the plug today, the old plug even though its not done much work looked terrible, black, oily and some carbon build up - so much for fuel injection with perfect mapping??

I have used the Iridium plug this time, BPR5EIX-11 set gap at 0.7mm as per the manual. Starting was no easier or harder with the new plug, power does feel slighly more agressive - I actually prefer the feel with the standard BPR5ES plug but I will leave this one for now in the hope it doesn't carbon up as bad.

Last week the importer said he would fly here this week to check the maps and fix the issue. He has not confirmed the appointment yet but hopefully it will resolve our problem.

Edited by DeonAttard

It seems that the distributors in UK, Canada and HK do an excellent job. They have all offered some advice and assistance.

The trials market in Australia is small, some dealers only sell a couple of bikes per year so I understand the difficulty in setting them all up with expensive software and all that but surely Ossa themselves should be doing something to make that equipment affordable.

The support here in Australia frankly is disappointing and not good enough.

I am really hoping my problems get sorted in the next week as I've nearly had enough of these bikes.

I rode today, 13 kicks to start it from cold. Once going I stalled it once and stopped once quickly, it started 1st kick both times. I had visitors who I chatted to for 10 minutes, 10 kicks to start it after only 10 minutes!!

It is beyond a joke and I am really regretting buying these bikes without a test ride as I would never have purchased knowing I would have the starting issue. I did my research, it seemed there was an issue and as long as you had the latest map all was well - so I ordered on the basis that both bikes were to come with the latest map. It seems that either this wasn't done or due care was not taken to ensure the maps, tps and idle were set correctly and as such I havn't had a very good month with them...

I changed the plug today, the old plug even though its not done much work looked terrible, black, oily and some carbon build up - so much for fuel injection with perfect mapping??

I have used the Iridium plug this time, BPR5EIX-11 set gap at 0.7mm as per the manual. Starting was no easier or harder with the new plug, power does feel slighly more agressive - I actually prefer the feel with the standard BPR5ES plug but I will leave this one for now in the hope it doesn't carbon up as bad.

Last week the importer said he would fly here this week to check the maps and fix the issue. He has not confirmed the appointment yet but hopefully it will resolve our problem.

Mine isn't too bad to start but there is a technique. From cold 5 pushes down on the kickstart to prime then 2 hard kicks to fire up but the critical thing is i have to open the throttle immediately it fires or it wont go. When warm its just one kick but again its critical to open the throttle immediately when it fires. I wonder if the tickover is a touch low so I may try tweaking it.

If only I could make the clutch a bit more user friendly!!

• Like 1

Just heard back from the UK importer and he said there are no LSS systems here as yet but if they become available he'll ask Ossa to take them to the Scottish with them, I'm up there as well so I'll have a good chat with him about it.

Edited by Taff_d

Timp you cant just adjustt the tick over with out getting the throttle

position sensor reset by a dealer

jsp

Nigel Birkett says you can alter the tickover without remapping and I have seen a rider doing it in the Bemrose trial

My throttle sensor was set for map 13 first then the map was loaded and the bike ran fine at a 1600rpm tickover but the dealer dropped it to 1400 rpm as he said thats what Ossa recommend, so I think you can move your tickover.

(I have a 2012 OSSA) Also there is another new map out, MAP14??, but dual setting so that would mean that we can get the dual stage switch as well. Must admit, not really impressed with map 13, I initially thought it better than map 11, but really fouls the plug and hesitates off the bottom (plug BPR5EIX-11) . I am only a clubman rider so I potter around a fair bit, . I try to do a bit of high speed 6th gear clean out, but given the areas we have to ride that is not so easy. I may go back to map 11, Starting is not really a problem, but the bike does have a mind of its own sometimes 4-6 kicks sometimes 1 -2. Looks like Map 13 has helped starting, but is causing other problems

Maybe just loading new maps all the time is not the answer. Possibly the tuning may need to be tweaked for each rider

I'll be fixing mine with a Gas Gas if the importer doesn't sort my issues very shortly.

Its really interesting that other Australian riders are having issues as the importer would have me believe that the other 60 odd Ossa owners in Australia have no problems.

I believe my bike is running very rich going off the plug which is oily and carboned up, I'm supposed to have Map 13 but I won't know for sure until my dealer receives the cables which the importer is posting to him this week.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending but I'm not holding my breath given that other Map 13 users are experiencing issues.

I'm planning to fit the 10T from sprocket to my fathers bike so it gets revved a bit more, at the moment he barely gets past an idle but we are yet to foul a plug.

Edited by DeonAttard