No stop

dave horne

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people have posted that 80 - 99% of UK competitors dont care about WTC and would prefer just one rule and thats no stop so why dont we have a poll on TC.

Good point but it wouldn't show the truth as a lot of people on here are "know it alls" that don't even ride!

The problem with the world championship is that it's too hard and costs too much to get to. That is the whole problem! Why is it too hard? Because of the rules and everything has to have no run up! I've been to all the rounds apart from Japan this year and I can assure you this is the truth. British championship at

Good point but it wouldn't show the truth as a lot of people on here are "know it alls" that don't even ride!

I don't necessarily agree that a vote is going to resolve anything, but surely if a vote was held, why shouldn't it show the truth. Everyone who contributes to these pages, whether a rider or not has shown that they are passionate about this sport and deserve their say.

I no longer ride, but I do contribute to the sport by regularly observing and marking out, If this makes me a 'know it all' then I make no apology for that, but it does give me the right to an opinion!!

The problem with the world championship is that it's too hard and costs too much to get to. That is the whole problem! Why is it too hard? Because of the rules and everything has to have no run up! I've been to all the rounds apart from Japan this year and I can assure you this is the truth. British championship at

We are talking about 6 trials for goodness all the other events can be no stop but why put the top few at a disadvantage.

The entries at btc are limited, so by that measure as it is its a success.

If the wtc is stop allowed those 6 events should be the same.

I have been to lots of wtc events over the past few years and maybe scotland was a no run up trial but the truth is somewhat different to what you describe.

I can quite happily speak from experience that they are hard due to having no run up. I've done the past 2 years minding in the wtc so I have a good idea what I'm talking about.

I don't think that if the limit on the btc was 85 instead of 55 would have made any difference with the stopping rules. Maybe it will increase the entries being more manageable. You have to remember that the bulk of the entry are non supported riders and it's hard earned cash paying for the privilege to ride. 6 or 8 riders on the top route isn't sustainable and neither would the wtc without the junior and youth classes. Will 6 trials limit the top lads in the wtc? I personally don't think so. The importers are the ones supporting our top riders and i'm sure they will dictate what the riders ride to an extent whether they like it or not. When Britain had riders pushing genuinely for wtc glory there was Doug, Colley, Jarvis all in the running to win rounds and the rules were..... a version of no stop! It's not the fault of the ACU for acting on a flagging championship, the FIM are the ones that should change in my opinion.

Lots of people have posted that 80 - 99% of UK competitors dont care about WTC and would prefer just one rule and thats no stop so why dont we have a poll on TC.

Why don't the ACU ask the riders... via a ballot in the licence form?

Riding no-stop is as skilled as stop allowed.

Funny comment earlier re observers... I've always thought that observers tend to let off a beginner/struggling rider for stopping and were more likely to penalise the more proficient riders.

Both the Colmore vids posted were 5's (if 2011 was no stop)

No-stop will allow the use of more land not less. OK, all clubs can't have access to the great stream type sections that need only begins and ends cards I know, but no-stop will help re. land suitability.

In the first adult BTC round I did there were way over 100 riders, all on the same course. Sadly I don't think that can ever happen again. That aside, most riders are not bothered about the BTC never mind WTC, but they should have their say for by ballot. Thats seems like the only reasonable way?

Edited by Rosey

But would everyone who hasn't a specific interest or connection with BTC bother voting? And you'd also have people to whom the BTC has no relevance at all just voting for the rules they prefer, even though they would never be affected by them - so again, what would be the point?

Whereas I prefer no-stop as it more reflects what trials is (was) supposed to be about, I have no preference or interest in what they actually decide for BTC and I'd have no interest in casting a vote. Obviously I will never ever ride another BTC, those days finished in early 90s and I will never watch one as I'd rather be out riding, so it makes no actual difference to me what rules they run, whether it dies out or whether it recovers to enjoying 100 entries again.

But, as I love the sport of trials I think it is a great shame to see what the BTC has become. When I rode a few BTC events I remember watching the stars of the day clean sections that I had no real hope of cleaning but at least could have a go at and the trials were full of good centre riders as well as the usual national winners and champions. Today's younger riders will rarely experience riding in events like that, but as they don't know any different maybe they aren't bothered anyway.

I suppose the real question is were clubs who stage the events happy to continue putting in the huge amount of work and effort to run a trial for less than 10 riders. If so, then should it have just continued as it was?

Or have they just thought enough is enough, what's the point and along with the importers (who all seem in favour of no-stop) lobbied the ACU for the change?

It would be interesting to know what the catalyst for this change was (purely out of personal interest)

Please tell me is this the ACUs way of trying kill off any chance of a British trials rider world championship win / European championship win with the none stop rule.

TSR22B?

Out of interest, if you were a trials organiser whose club ran a BTC event, would you consider it worth the enormous effort to have less than 10 riders compete on the sections it has taken you days/weeks to plot, cut out and mark up (along with all the other paperwork involved of course) Forget the masters and expert routes (or whatever they are called)as they only exist due to the poor BTC proper entry. If that had 50 - 60 riders those classes wouldn't be there.

Would you be happy to put in all that effort for less than 10 riders?

If not how do you turn it around and increase the entries but still have sections that can take marks of Dabill and Brown etc without destroying the morale of the rest.

But would everyone who hasn't a specific interest or connection with BTC bother voting? And you'd also have people to whom the BTC has no relevance at all just voting for the rules they prefer, even though they would never be affected by them - so again, what would be the point?

Whereas I prefer no-stop as it more reflects what trials is (was) supposed to be about, I have no preference or interest in what they actually decide for BTC and I'd have no interest in casting a vote. Obviously I will never ever ride another BTC, those days finished in early 90s and I will never watch one as I'd rather be out riding, so it makes no actual difference to me what rules they run, whether it dies out or whether it recovers to enjoying 100 entries again.

But, as I love the sport of trials I think it is a great shame to see what the BTC has become. When I rode a few BTC events I remember watching the stars of the day clean sections that I had no real hope of cleaning but at least could have a go at and the trials were full of good centre riders as well as the usual national winners and champions. Today's younger riders will rarely experience riding in events like that, but as they don't know any different maybe they aren't bothered anyway.

I suppose the real question is were clubs who stage the events happy to continue putting in the huge amount of work and effort to run a trial for less than 10 riders. If so, then should it have just continued as it was?

Or have they just thought enough is enough, what's the point and along with the importers (who all seem in favour of no-stop) lobbied the ACU for the change?

It would be interesting to know what the catalyst for this change was (purely out of personal interest)

What about having a vote for the rules to be run nationwide? Would that work?

At least everybody could vote fairly.

From my understanding direct from an importer, they are aiming for trials to be more approachable for the masses and as its very much a participant sport rather than a professional sport this is about right.

The top riders will win whatever the rules so in my eyes it's better to make it suitable for the majority rather than the minority which is what the top route at btc is unfortunately.

The fact of the matter is that the best trials are no stop and that's a fact unfortunately!