No stop

dave horne

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who lay trials out do so for the enjoyment of others, so its hard to fault these types, but..

GOOD trials are usually laid out by folks who put the flags next to real obstacles and on the outside of a tree rather than the inside. You may think this is picky, but marks should not be taken by knocking a flag down on a slippy camber tha the observer has to keep putting back... :

Spot on Rosey, after getting a bit tired of jumping through hoops organizing nationals etc, I clicked down a couple of gears and stuck with event's at local level.

It didn't really matter what the scoring rules were, I just set flowing sections, the less markers the better, and if a marker became the obstacle it wasn't used, often points lost by the top riders was more than they would drop in tight hopping sections, but the rest of the field failed less sections so their scores were better.

It

After reading peoples comments and getting fairly wound up, I feel it necessary to say my opinion.

I think all trials in the UK baring the British Championship should be no stop. This way like people have mentioned, there will be less queuing, not dangerous but rideable yet mark taking sections. Stopping at club level, none of the sections are against the clock so you could stand there for hours balancing which is boring for everyone concerned.

My main gripe is that the British Championship has gone to no stop rules. I cant see how this is benefiting anyone especially us top boys. Maybe that's me being selfish.

Its seems crazy that we're not allowed now to have 6 trials throughout the year for the riders that are aspiring to improve and move into the world ranks.

We have the s3 clubmans championship, numerous open nationals and club trials running all year round which cater for everyone that rides in the UK and now they have changed the rules so more people supposedly can ride in the Championship class at BTC.We need to stay in line with the FIM just as the foreign countries are doing. Ok Spain has been using the Openfree rules but thats stop permitted. Also the Trials are limited to 55 riders whcih most of the time are fairly full. If their not, why not encourage and allow more youth's to enter? This would bring them on leaps and bounds. I would be optimistic about no stop rules in the British Championship if it were to affect the rules at World Championship but with the Top Dog falling over to everything the foreign CTR officials want all the time, I don't hold out much hope. In doing this several top riders are very tempted to compete in national championships abroad it would lose its prestigious title. Winning's winning but i'm sure you'd get more satisfaction if all the top names are competing?

It's been said that the sections nowadays are so far fetched and not in touch with trials that spectators and your average club rider cant relate to them. I find that completely normal and acceptable. The British Championship is supposed to the pinnacle of British trials with some top world riders competing. People should watch them ride sections and think "how did they do that?" the same as I look at any athletes towards or at the top end of their sport. I want to be amazed when I watch Messi, Nadal, or whoever. Anyone that's new into the sport and watching British Championship shouldn't be able to think I'd like to have a go at that as most of the riders have been riding all their lives. Whereas if they were to go to a club trial or s3 nationals, they could watch no stop riding at think it would be possible for them to have a go.

Changing the rules also doesn't lower the price or fuel which is really the crippling part.

Basically, keep the BTC to stop rules and us boys will be happy, no stop for all other events then the majority is happy.

Alexz

Alexz, I have every sympathy with you top lads wanting to compete on the same level as the Spaniards... but they went in a completely different direction with their "open free" formula (and I'm glad I don't have to observe that), but has it worked?....No. I also undersatnd that the French have gone no stop and the Italians will probably do the same. No stop might not be the answer but from where I'm stood, pointless hopping and blasting up massive steps has lost its appeal.... you can all do it. No one seems to lose any marks going up the big stuff its the naggery rocks, muddy climbs and tree roots that steel marks. I think the main thrust of reverting to no-stop is that you can ease the severity of the sections (and attract riders who would have previously stayed away) and still make it a challenge for the top lads. Time will tell. Good luck next year by the way :)

I may be wrong and to be honest I haven't read all the posts but read a big chunk.]

It seems to me that those who want no stop are either over the age (generally but not always) of wanting to learn to hop etc or are from areas where the the venues and terrain will easily accomodate a no stop trial e.g Yorkshire, Derbyshire etc.

I have done a lot of my riding this year in the South Midland Centre where venues are 1) at a premium and hard to get and 2) do not especially lend themsleves to nice long flowing no stop style of sections

There are lots of tight, twisty, technical sections laid out (at expert level) in order to take some marks of riders.

I rode specifically in these events and venues as I wanted to improve my technical riding and really feel that centre's like South Midlands will struggle to adopt no stop rules.

As I understand it they (south mids centre) have not yet done anything to implement this either and my hope is that at a club or a centre level that the clubs have the openness and honesty to 1) inform the riders, officials, members etc that a vote will be happening 2) enforce that vote whichever way it goes.

To do what the ACU (and seemingly other clubs have) done and just change the rules without discussing with the riders is just ridiculous.

Also, following on with what Alexz said about the likes of Nadal (tennis) Messi (football) and other mega stars you want to aspire to being that good but reality dictates that most wont get there anywhere near yet you dont see the FA saying 'you cant do this anymore in the premier league' or the WTA saying 'you can only serve at under 70mph' none of this BS puts people off in exactly the same way that 'stop allowed' wont put anybody off riding. The reasons people are not riding as much or not riding at all or not starting the sport are simple

1: THERE IS A GREAT BIG WORLD WIDE MONSTER RECESSION

2: LIVING IN GENERAL COSTS A LOT MORE

3: FUEL COSTS A LOT LOT MORE (OVER 50% INCREASE IN PAST FEW YEARS)

4: BIKES COST A LOT MORE (50% INCREASE I THINK SINCE 2008)

All - and I mean literally ALL the tw@ts at the ACU have acheived in this daft rule change is driving the top 2 riders in Britain (Dabill and Brown) to go and compete elsewhere in 2012 for national championships and p*ssing off the rest of the BTC riders like Alexz and Jack etc etc.

So well done, to the out of touch ACU and the older riders who run clubs who will successfully ruin the BTC and potentially stop lots of younger riders from wanting to continue in the sport.... Massive round of applause for their inability to see anything :thumbup:

What happens when these clowns call it a day who will step in then? no one! there'll be no one under the age of 40 left

Edited by beatabeta

5: New people (mainly children I mean) are not coming into the sport because a cheap TY 80 type bike is not available to get started on.

I may be wrong and to be honest I haven't read all the posts but read a big chunk.]

It seems to me that those who want no stop are either over the age (generally but not always) of wanting to learn to hop etc or are from areas where the the venues and terrain will easily accomodate a no stop trial e.g Yorkshire, Derbyshire etc.

I have done a lot of my riding this year in the South Midland Centre where venues are 1) at a premium and hard to get and 2) do not especially lend themsleves to nice long flowing no stop style of sections

There are lots of tight, twisty, technical sections laid out (at expert level) in order to take some marks of riders.

I rode specifically in these events and venues as I wanted to improve my technical riding and really feel that centre's like South Midlands will struggle to adopt no stop rules.

As I understand it they (south mids centre) have not yet done anything to implement this either and my hope is that at a club or a centre level that the clubs have the openness and honesty to 1) inform the riders, officials, members etc that a vote will be happening 2) enforce that vote whichever way it goes.

To do what the ACU (and seemingly other clubs have) done and just change the rules without discussing with the riders is just ridiculous.

Also, following on with what Alexz said about the likes of Nadal (tennis) Messi (football) and other mega stars you want to aspire to being that good but reality dictates that most wont get there anywhere near yet you dont see the FA saying 'you cant do this anymore in the premier league' or the WTA saying 'you can only serve at under 70mph' none of this BS puts people off in exactly the same way that 'stop allowed' wont put anybody off riding. The reasons people are not riding as much or not riding at all or not starting the sport are simple

All - and I mean literally ALL the tw@ts at the ACU have acheived in this daft rule change is driving the top 2 riders in Britain (Dabill and Brown) to go and compete elsewhere in 2012 for national championships and p*ssing off the rest of the BTC riders like Alexz and Jack etc etc.

So well done, to the out of touch ACU and the older riders who run clubs who will successfully ruin the BTC and potentially stop lots of younger riders from wanting to continue in the sport.... Massive round of applause for their inability to see anything :thumbup:

What happens when these clowns call it a day who will step in then? no one! there'll be no one under the age of 40 left

I was with you until the last part about the ACU. We can all see that factors from outside trials is effecting the sport, but does this mean that the ACU should simply ignore the issues and leave things as they are?

You don't say what you would do to improve things.

Remember, the ACU is in place to represent us, it is unreasonable to expect every rule change to go to a membership vote, we have to accept that some decisions will be made that we don't all like.

Only the persons at the meeting on Friday know what was said and what arguments were made, I'm sure the descision to go non stop was not made lightly. I suspect that a number of prominent people not directly related to the ACU were asked for their opinions.

I think peoples age is not the issue. You talk about the "clowns" who run the clubs, some clubs including ours only has over 40's running it now, so if the new rules takes away our under 40's it won't make the slightest difference.

I'd guess that the average age of people who help to run the Colmore Cup Trial(and there are a lot of helpers) is close to 60 not 40!

In my opinion something had to be done and I applaud the ACU for going against the FIM on this. It may work or it may not, we will see next year.

Pete

5: New people (mainly children I mean) are not coming into the sport because a cheap TY 80 type bike is not available to get started on.

Good point but look at it another way....

There are over 1000 Osets in the UK, if availability of bikes is an issue where are all these when we run a conducted trial?

So you look forward to that glorious day when us old cretins pack it all in and let the young riders run the show do you. Well i dont see any evidence that any of these young riders are interested in running anything because they never seem to offer to help in any way whatsoever. Oh yes the brickbats come flying about all us old gits "ruining" the sport but the offers to spend Saturday in the poring rain laying out never seems to materialise. Where would you be if everybody over 40 who you obviously feel are either up to no good or so past it they should be pensioned off and left in a corner smelling of wee? well for a start i doubt you would be riding in a trial because if it wasnt for the stupid, in your opinion, over 40's giving up their time to lay out and organise a trial along with everything else that goes into running a club there wouldnt be any trials for you and the young guns which in your opinion are the only people who matter to ride in.

You know it is this kind of attitude that makes me wonder why i actually bother organising a trial and running a club when there are so many people who just know so much better and who could make such a better job of it. It really make me feel like saying stuff the lot of you. In fact why do so many "young" people put up with the insulting events that are foistered upon them by all us old farts? The only reason i do carry on is that i do occaisionally receive e mails and phone calls thanking me for the trial and effort.

So i await being bombarded with people happy to show us over 40's how it should be done!

Edited by Old trials fanatic