Interested - Will It Grow To Be A Hobby?

cbf1000

A good morning watching others. Friendly people and intersting advice and help. But a bit scary, maybe due to advancing years but I saw so many potentials to fall off and down rocky hillsides. I don't bounce too well and I don't want to start breaking bones. Ladies and Gents, enjoy your sport.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Well, nearly a year since I joined the forum and the surge of chatter in Feb. Since then I've been to another trial and participated as an observer. Yes, I was enthused having got more involved in the event than I did as a spectator. Trying to find a good bike at a price I can afford.

Having spent time talking to the owners of the various bikes I'm even more confused, not one of them 'pushing' a particular bike. One thing coming through though is that the gasgas 280 and the sherco 290 may be a bit of a handle for a novice. There's not a lot of bikes available up in NE Scotland and the cost of fuel can add £100 + to the price unless you buy it in good faith (or stupidity as I'm sure some will say).

Trials looks like something I might like

Don't know which bike is easiest for a fat, old, never done it before newcomer to start with. Any suggestions? (yeah, loose weight, haha)

A good morning watching others. Friendly people and intersting advice and help. But a bit scary, maybe due to advancing years but I saw so many potentials to fall off and down rocky hillsides. I don't bounce too well and I don't want to start breaking bones. Ladies and Gents, enjoy your sport.

Hi cbf

Have you thought about Twinshock trials? Your from the right sort of era (admited old git ) that would have known the bikes when they were new. The benefit is that the sections are laid out a lot easier for older bikes, they tend to be cheaper and possibly better looked after. Have a look on this site for Classic trials video's and see what you think, it's an easy in to the sport, and if you like it you could always advance to the newer stuff.

Have a happy Hogmanay

Cheers

Dave

thedbf, I live 30 miles north of Aberdeen. I'd be interested if you have any leads. I'm going to see a 2004 Sherco 290 tomorrow in Peterhead.r Regards

Oh ok, I suspect the bikes I know for sale are out of your budget then if you're going to look at a 2004 bike, and highland liesure will deffo be out you're price range.

Couple bikes I know for sale are in Dundee, but over £2500 worth,

Take an experienced friend with you.

Be aware that a "cheap" bike that needs new mudguard, bearings, tyres, piston etc - is not a cheap bike.

Chain and sprockets.

Brake pads.

Levers

Edited by b40rt

I'd look (as other have said ) for a clean Twinshock bike , as one old git to another you'll enjoy tinkiering with a simple old bike , and if you get a solid one for a good price , most if them only go up in value with time .... And you may like the twinshock / classic events better . Slightly different skillset .

Good Luck , and it's all about fun , and you are your hardest competition ...

Glenn

Thanks guys.

Yes, that is the Sherco - I didn't buy it. Nice, genuine fella, but the bike was a little to 'used' for me. Although I doubt any trials bike, by definition of the sport, stays unknocked for long.

The classic trials (youtube) seem about the right difficulty to start with. Just the club up here is oriented to the more usual trials, so not sure how much chance I'd get to use in it. Like the idea of tinkering, but also aware that can lead to a constant drip of money.

Don't know anyone who has a good knowledge of trials bikes to tag along.

Oh, what to do? Up to me to decide. Next time, I'll be telling what I bought.

Steve