Illegal Riding In Lochaber

Andy

Are there no legal place to practice ? Considering the history of trials in the area its not an unknown "minority" sport.

Walking, cycling, skiing etc are very well catered for, why not trials ???

Are there no legal place to practice ? Considering the history of trials in the area its not an unknown "minority" sport.

Walking, cycling, skiing etc are very well catered for, why not trials ???

I would have thought the ski area out of season at Glencoe would be ideal for a trials practice venue. Infrastructure already there for the most part. Just a suggestion for a budding entrepreneur.

Whatever still doesnt excuse ANY illegal practising ANYWHERE.

The problem is that there are so many areas designated by law as SSSI's. You would be amazed if you really knew how many thousand hectares are designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest!

Trust me I have checked!

Big John

The problem is that there are so many areas designated by law as SSSI's. You would be amazed if you really knew how many thousand hectares are designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest!

Trust me I have checked!

Big John

And I'm willing to bet that we'd be equally amazed to find anything of any interest on many of them.

We lost a really challenging part of an enduro track a few years ago. It's just scrubland and bogs on the top of a couple of hills. The farmer said there is nothing of any worth on it and it was barely of any use to graze sheep. Along came some white suited gents one day, totally out of the blue,and declared it a SSSI because of some (supposed) rare fungus. This place is in the middle of nowhere, there are no footpaths or byeways and it doesn't appear to have ever attracted walkers. So who would know what was there (if anything) beats me. They specifically said no motorcycles on that piece of land which led us to believe that someone had complained and this was a way to stop it. The problemis, there seems no right to challenge such a decision. This was the farmer's own land and he was being told what he could or couldn't do with it. No-one ever goes to look at this rare fungus though...

There is no doubt that there are genuine SSSI but I'd wager many have nothing of any real interest or value to preserve. It's up there with nesting birds as a way to stop off-roading. The birds have nested and been unaffected by bikes for decades but all of a sudden the bikes pose a danger to them. Modern PC garbage.

Back to topic, having ridden the 6 day a few times, I'm genuinely surprised that in all those vast areas of what look (to an outsider) as unuseable scrubland, that there aren't just a few legitimate places where riders can practise.

We are straying slightly off topic i know but re the birds and wild flowers thing i remember seeing a program on the haunted fish tank about Salisbury Plain and the off limits military testing area. Theres more wild flowers and rare birds flora and fauna there than the rest of the south west put together and there's bloody great tanks and big guns going bang all the time so what harm can a few motor bike do???

Doesnt change my stance on illegal practising and i wouldnt be at all surprised if a few sections have been practised either but the onus should always be on the landowner what happens on what after all is his land. If he agrees to bikes practising then great go for it if he doesnt then no way. Simple as that.

Should also apply to bloody ramblers BTW who seem to think they have the right to clomp about wherever they choose and damage walls leave gates open stomp on rare mosses orchids with impunity. Whats right for one is right for all surely? Probably not in this PC infested age we "live" in. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Trust me I have checked!

Big John

Hi BJ

I have no doubt about the SSSI's, I just have difficulty getting my head round why only motorcycle's damage them while thousands of feet, mountain bike tyres, forrestry equipment etc dosent !

Ross

• Like 2

http://www.naturalen...esignation.aspx

It's not just Lochaber that have SSSI's of course, above gives some idea as to why they are created down in Englandshire! There are restrictions placed on the landowners who can't do with their own property what they wish.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-scotlands-nature/protected-areas/national-designations/sssis/sssi-management/

Above link for SSSI info in Scotland

Big John

Edited by Big John

http://www.naturalen...esignation.aspx

It's not just Lochaber that have SSSI's of course, above gives some idea as to why they are created down in Englandshire! There are restrictions placed on the landowners who can't do with their own property what they wish.

http://www.snh.gov.u...ssi-management/

Above link for SSSI info in Scotland

Big John

Quote from the site :-

"Nature really is right on your doorstep. Our campaign encourages you to get outdoors and enjoy life's simple pleasures, wherever you may be."

Quote from the site :-

"Nature really is right on your doorstep. Our campaign encourages you to get outdoors and enjoy life's simple pleasures, wherever you may be."

Bugger, I've got mold growing on the doorstep, if they declare that a SSSI I won't be able to cross it to get out to enjoy anything.

As for their statement, what a joke, it should have a disclaimer - as long as you're not a motorcyclist, rally driver, mountain biker etc etc etc.

• Like 1

Another issue in this is the locals, there are a lot of riders based in these areas, where are they supposed to go to practice?? it's all very well slamming them for illegal practice but if there's no designated areas people will still practice and if that area happens to be at your back door I'd challenge anyone not to use it from time to time.

That notwithstanding, it is a big issue and has been for many years. The natural beauty of the highlands means the greenies, tree huggers and ramblers especially have been forcing bikesport of the countryside for years. All it takes is one rider, yeah agree but all it takes is one to$$er on some committee somewhere who doesn't want some smelly bike disturbing his Sunday stroll to put the spanner in the works as well. I've had numerous arguments in here over the years with our hill walking crowd. It's a no win situation.