New Scorpa Keeps Dying

trilabite

Hello! I'm new to this forum. Hopefully someone out there can help me we an issue I'm having. I just got a brand new 2012 Scorpa 280 Longride. Took it out yesterday and gave it a kick, started up no problem. idoled nice and ripped around on flat ground no problem. Then I went to go up a bit of an incline then the engine just BRRRRrrrrr......... dead. So I backed down to flat ground and tried to started it again and it would start up for a few seconds then BRRRRrrrrrr...... Sounds like its starving for fuel. I left it alone for the night. Called the dealer next morning and he told me that the blunger needle or somehting in the carb stuck on his the first time then was fine. So Next morning I went straight out the the bike gave it a few love taps with the soft end of a screwdriver. Fired up nice just like the day before. Again putted around a bit all is great, no issues. Then I go to take it up a bit of a hill and BRRRRrrrr... same thing. tried to start it again and it will sound like its trying to start but I can barrely bring it to life and its down again. This if my first Scorpa and so far not so good. Whats going on?!?! Any insight would be great!

Thanks

I would think you would need to insure fuel is flowing freelty to the carb by removing the fuel hose and opening the tap into a collection jar. Then progress to the carb itself. I presume this has the dellorto in it and you may wanto ck the banjo screen for swag out of the tank and then progress to the float valve and float level ck.

Let us know how you git on, prolly a simple fix.

If a Kiehin, same principles apply, yet an inline filter may be reccomendable if you have accumulated some new bike swag out of the tank.

Edited by copemech

Thanks for the feedback guys. So to you guys it would seem like gunk blocking the fuel flow somewhere? It's a new bike so I dont really know my way around it much. The fuel line goes directly into the carb Should I be opening that up?

Okay so I pulled everything apart down to the carburetor. Floats and needle seem to move smoothly. I pulled the fuel line off the side and there was not much in there, a spec maybe the size of a pinhead. All clear everywhere else. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and opened the fuel valve. It had a steady flow so the tank vent seems to be fine. Put it all together and same issue! I'm really stumped here guys. Also does anyone know what the carb mix screw is set to from the factory? Could it be running to lean?

Since it's a new bike I think it's more likely to be swarf or foreign object blockage from the factory.

Regarding your fuel supply,blow everything out with an airline,carb jets,fuel line,breathers etc..

I can understand your frustration with the incline bogging so set up a little procedure at home using a wall as your 'test' incline...start the bike and prop it front high (both brakes on)get a mate to help prod / waggle/adjust when you hear the engine struggle on the slope:-

30-08-05022.jpg

Edited by HAM2

How long have you been waiting to use that photo ?

Glenn :rolleyes:

That's my previous bike and my previous house so, yeah..you've got a point :P

Just be grateful that I've got some clothes on :banana:

Wayne B)

Edited by HAM2

In the UK The 1974 sale of goods act state" Goods must be of mercantable quality and fit for the purpose for which its sold" your bike clearly is not. Do you have similar laws in Vancouver?

Don't waste your time messing about with somethhink if its not your responsibility.

A number of Shercos do have a problem with float valve / fuel flow and its about time they sorted it.

Cheers

• Like 1

In the UK The 1974 sale of goods act state" Goods must be of mercantable quality and fit for the purpose for which its sold" your bike clearly is not. Do you have similar laws in Vancouver?

Don't waste your time messing about with somethhink if its not your responsibility.

A number of Shercos do have a problem with float valve / fuel flow and its about time they sorted it.

Cheers

Wondered when someone with common sense would come along.....

got to agree if the dealers close i d take it back and say there you go call me when its fixed..

clearly whoever did the PDi didnt do a great job. i know of a local dealer here who virtually strips the thing does loads of little things to get bikes perfect and literally ready to compete on before they leave his shop.

Thanks guys. All great advice. Normally my first response would be to take the dam thing back. This is not the kind of thing that a guy should have to deal with on a brand new bike. Problem is the dealership is over an hour away in traffic. So much for a new bike for the long weekend. Frustrated to say the least. The guy was nice enough, and granted it worked fine at the shop. But that means nothing when you finally start going up hill. THE ONE DAM THING YOU NEED THE MOST! LOL Well I'm bringing it back, and might just go with my first idea Ossa, or Montesa. Nothing against Scorpa! Im sure there great. But I'll just wait for the bike for me to come in.

Thanks again guys for all the advice!

Just a follow up. I was sitting here looking at the dam thing and decided to give the fuel flow a second look. (Just a note up front thing is still F#$%ed) I have now removed all fuel, lines carb, needles. Thuroly inspected and blown clean of anything. (didn't find one crumb of gunk by the way.) Put it all back together and gave it a kick. Came to life first try. Bike felt great, revs nice. did a couple wheelies. Then you could hear it start to die a little. Almost like if you took your hand off the gas she would putter out. So I tried to keep it going. Then very abruptly BRRrrrrr.... F$&K! Tried to start it again.... nothing. Let it sit for 5 mins. Starts second try for about 2 second the dead. Seems to be when the engine warms up. Could it be a spark thing?

Just a follow up. I was sitting here looking at the dam thing and decided to give the fuel flow a second look. (Just a note up front thing is still F#$%ed) I have now removed all fuel, lines carb, needles. Thuroly inspected and blown clean of anything. (didn't find one crumb of gunk by the way.) Put it all back together and gave it a kick. Came to life first try. Bike felt great, revs nice. did a couple wheelies. Then you could hear it start to die a little. Almost like if you took your hand off the gas she would putter out. So I tried to keep it going. Then very abruptly BRRrrrrr.... F$&K! Tried to start it again.... nothing. Let it sit for 5 mins. Starts second try for about 2 second the dead. Seems to be when the engine warms up. Could it be a spark thing?

almost sounds like stator breaking down , i know gas gas have had problems with the new 80cc bikes after only 2nd outing