Sherco 3.2

becker

Just my two pence worth, the Montesa 4RT had a problem with some bolt to do with the kick-start (don't quote me on that), all bikes were recalled and sorted.

Then the Sherco 4T had a problem with wiring, i thought it was something to do with the spark-plug cap/wiring (don't quote me on that either), and as far as i am to believe Sherco have put that right as well.

Nothing comes out new, and is perfect from the word go, i have ridden a Montesa 4RT, which i liked alot, but i'm not sure on this electronic ignition business, where as i prefer the look of the Sherco and the fact that i can do the carb myself, BUT, as yet have not ridden one !

Gaff.

Edited by Gaff

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got my 3.2 and put about 17 hours on it.

As big john has said it handles alot like the 2.9 (I have been riding Sherco since '99). For the fist couple of rides it felt slightly heavier in the front then the 2.9, but I no longer notice it.

It is very powerful but is not un-user friendly, I have found that the the riding technique is a bit differant to the 2T, but this was expected.

In a lot of situations (like a scotish type creek bed) you can forget about using the clutch to much, the 4t has so much torque you just hook 1st, lean back and go.

As I said before it has a lot of power, I have fond that when riding large banks or step blasts in the wet with out much run-up, rather then give it a big hand full and dump the clutch, it is quite amazing, you let the clutch out and just wind it on. It finds a hole lot of grip and fires you out.

I have also been told that any problems they had with electrics have been sorted.

Over-all I am pretty impressed !!

I saw Simon Evans (Expert) riding the Sherco 4T at our local trial and was amazed at its graceful seemingly effortless power delivery and humungus amounts of grip. For those who dont know him, he is the son of Graham Evans who works in sales at David Jones Motorcycles in Newtown.

I spoke with him about it and he had nothing but praise for the machine. He also said he tried the 4RT but didnt like it in comparison.

I ride the Sherco 290 and decided to buy the 4T. I got it on Saturday and done around 30 hours on it so far. This is what I found:

Performance

[1] Very powerful without doubt. feels and sounds it

[2] The balance was superb and felt very much like the 2T

[3] The power delivery is fast but you have to be about half second in front with the throttle than you do with the 2T.

[4] Traction is awesome. Torque is there in bucketfulls and pulls from nothing to arm stretching without any effort.

[5] Downhill braking using the engine is something your going to notice bigtime over the 2T. Even on a semi slippery slope, you can ease it down there in control.

Problems I had

[1] It was a bitch to start . Traced it to dampness under the sparkplug cap.. WD40 applied and it normally starts on the first compression stroke. Doesnt need a lot of effort either. Stroke should be smooth and follow through to the end.

[2] The exhaust gets VERY hot in seconds from starting. I got a nasty burn on my leg on the first day. Needs a heat shield guard on there for sure.

[3] The wiring loom comes out the generator cover straight up and over the engine mounting bracket to the coil on the right side. This cabling is tight and i can see this cutting through the cables in no time at this point. Will put something around that to protect it.

[4] I noticed an oil leak from somehwere around the top rocker cover. On inspection the seal was completely dry !!! Found it to be a leak coming directly out the barrel casting where the engine is mounted to the frame. I took it back to David Jones today and he is fitting another barrel.

EDIT: It appears the oil leak was from oil travelling up the inside of the generator wrapping and dripping out onto the coil then the exhaust pipe. NOT from the barrel casing as originally thought !

Overall, Im really happy with the machine. I like to ride quite slow so this machine suits me. The clutch might as well not be there half the time.!!!

Got a few problems to sort out and ideally wouldnt have liked to have them, but Im going to stick with it as I know this bike is worth it.

Edited by Webmonkey

[4] I noticed an oil leak from somehwere around the top rocker cover. On inspection the seal was completely dry !!! Found it to be a leak coming directly out the barrel casting where the engine is mounted to the frame.  I took it back to David Jones today and he is fitting another barrel.

I can recall Laverda Jota Road bikes use to have the same problem with there barrels too.

Don't for get to give us a go Ian when you've run it in :P

Ishy

I would love to know what has been changed to the later 4T to make

hot starting better. Mine can be a nightmare to start when hot :P

Webmonkey

Suprised to see you say starting 'Doesnt need a lot of effort either', mine

requires massive ammounts of effort to kickover. Much more than any 2 or 4 stroke i've owned! Even considered fabricating a longer kickstart!

It has to be said though when runnig it is an awesome machine expecially in the mud down south :D

Ishy

thanks for the reply.

If this is all they did to the engine, i'm very dissapointed with the quality

of the original assembly. For the seat lapping to have this much impact on starting suggests they must have been very poorly done ( if at all) originally!

Cheers

I can't ride it yet John, it looks like rain  :P

You been across that pond too long !

That's the kind of excuse us Shandy drinkin' Southerns make.

Mines a Lager Top - plenty of lime - I'm drinking inside cos' there's shower forecast.

VHST is a problem carb, Gasgas ditched it. Montesa kept with it, but in the end it seems that the manufacturing tolerences determine if you get a good un or a bad un. I've had two bad uns.

Hows about a PHBL (the Cub likes it) or a Keihin PWK on the 3.2 ?

Ishy,

Just got 3.2`s, over here in Oz, really impressed with how mechanically quiet the motor is. First event this weekend, keen to try my PWK, but will run with Dellorto for a while, so I can notice any change.

Looks like drought breaking rain !!! can`t wait to get out in it and try out all that traction.

Cheers,

ShercoH

I have one of the first two units in Canada - ( about a month ago) - The bike was very impressive at the innitial start up and ride but was plagued with poor starting - I contacted Malcolm Rathmell in the UK and as he said the biggest problem is the spark plug cap - it has a resister in it and this causes problems - a new cap fixed it ( my Importer did this) - However the stock spark plug is not available in Canada - it is used only in Saab and Aston Martin turbo cars.

We switched to a Bosch and appear to have the problem solved

The close proximity of the fuel line to the muffler is a concern - we have routed the line around the carb which keeps it away ( a bit) from the heat plus we are using a different insulated fuel line. - The sidecase where the wires go into the flywheel should be champered ( very sharp) as this can cause the ground wire to the fan to cut through & short out -The cdi wires should also be siliconed and the plug to the cdi should be waterproofed. The bike is awesome to ride, and the other unit was ridden to first place in the advanced class of the recent Outlaw Two Day Trial - it was especially impressive on the BIG Hillclimb. ( lots of "5"s here) - We expect to see more improvements to this bike as we continue to test it. We already have a lot of data collected re: the carb etc, and everybody that rides the bike is super impressed with the throttle response - (we have ridden the 4RT and it is not as good in my opinion) - Only time will tell what other changes need to be made, but this bike is very, very, good.

I would really like one of these bikes but from what I've read the bike is far from sorted...I hate to say it but if I'd payed 4k + I'd want it to run like a swiss watch.

The Honda/Mont effort does look like it's well finished off, the whole fuel injetion thing on that put's me off..I still think I'll end up with the Sherco but not for at least another 18 months...should give the factory time to get it fully sorted. :P

John - If you email me direct at - daverhodes@shaw.ca - I will send you some pics - 'Fraid I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to computers but my daughter has a digital - so we should be able to get something organized - aye Outlaw Dave

Many thanks for that info Ishy :D I will do that !!

RE500, When i first got the bike it was a complete bitch to start but I went for a Trials Holiday down at keepyourfeetup.co.uk in devon.

The Farm owner Gary Wright has a long history with bikes and his father was a mechanic to Malcolm Rathmell in the late 70's. Hes got some of his fathers old 4 strokes locked away and knows a bit about starting them !!! He saw the way I was trying to start it and said I was using the wrong technique :D

What I was doing was kicking it over like a 2 stroke fast and furious and blipping the throttle!!! :P

He started it is 3 kicks when i was taking around 20 or more !!!

From cold, he put the choke on and gently kicked it over for about 4 strokes. He took the choke off and gently kicked it over a few more times feeling for the compression stroke. when he felt it he gave a firm ( but not fast) kick with follow through to the end and it started.

When the bike is Hot, I gently kick it over ( 1 or 2 times ) and feel for the compression stroke. Then give a firm ( but not fast ) kick to follow through and it starts nearly everytime.

Also, the other important thing is you use no throttle at all.

I have followed his advice since and its been fine :D

Hope that helps :D

Edited by Webmonkey