2002 290 Resoration - New To Trials

bmktw2

Hello there my friend. Thank you for viewing my post. Let me start by saying that I love you all.

My name is Nick. I'm am all that is, was, and ever will be. But in this world of mooney, I'm just a boiler tube welder from north Florida.

This post is about me restoring my Sherco290 so maybe someone else who finds a POS trail bike will be willing to take a chance and fix it up.

I've been riding motorcycle since I was a kid but recently I have really gotten into riding them everyday.

My first off road bike a 2007 TW200:

T-dub.jpg

The TW200 is the best all-around motorcycle I have ever owned. I put the ATV handlebars and added a kickstarter.

This is a truly amazing machine. Very under-estimated.

This is my 2005 XR650R Its a MONSTER HORSEPOWER MACHINE

downsize3.jpg

A totally insane thrill ride. I've put a Mikuni pumper carb TM-40 on this beast. This bike can make you p*** yourself.

And last but not least is my new 2002 Sherco290

downsize2.jpg

I just got it a few days ago. It came with a new PWK KIEKEN carb!!! I'm restoring the bike to my standards...

DSC03875.jpg

I'm cleaning off the "ghetto painted" parts the last owner pained the tripple clamps blue and header black with some cheap sparay paint. I changed the gearbox oil with maxima oil and the old oil was BROWN!!!!!

After that I'm going to put in new fork seals, new pillowtop grips, new brake levers and she should be ready to test ride.

I'll post more as my sherco progresses.

Is it a big deal to use 5wt oil? I found a good deal on some 10wt maxima oil but dont know if there will be much difference... I plan to do some trail riding also if that makes any difference.

Edited by bmktw2

I cleaned off the lame blue paint on the tripple clamps and the black paint on the header with aircraft paint remover.

Then I cleaned and re-packed the steam bearings and put it all back together.

The bike is restored back to original... somewhat.

DSC03882.jpg

The plastics fenders gas tank are really beat up. I decided to paint them and get a little more life from it before I buy a new set. I have some old black grips im going to wire on.

DSC03886.jpg

Today I ordered fork seals and maximo 5w fork oil from Ryan Young.

Hopefully I will be able to ride the Sherco this weekend!

What kind of gas oil mix would you recommend? Ive seen semi-synthetics, race oils which one should I use?

Also, I can get non-ethanol but only in 87octane. Is this okay to use?

Edited by bmktw2

Personally in my 2000 Sherco 2.9 I run Amsoil Dominator full synthetic 2 stroke oil at 80:1 with 93 octane or higher pump gas. No need for race gas. Mine actually runs like dog poo on race gas. As far as non-ethanol fuel, I actually don't worry about it. I just ride the thing and have fun. My personal opinion (and this will be highly contested with those that know engines) is that 10% ethanol is not enough to produce significant adverse effects on my Sherco. Besides it is WAY too much hassle to try and find the octane I need with 0 ethanol.

For fork oil I use Maxima 85-150 (5wt. SUS-VI) that what is says on bottle. I find it at a local bike shop.

Just my opinion.

what paint did you use? It looks really good

This is not a bad looking bike to start with.

Seems 5w works best in the forks.

Most of us run full synthetic at 80:1 with high octane pump gas or so. Keeping it fresh is important. The tanks may expand with alcohol and become hard to fit into the frame.

This is not a bad looking bike to start with.

Seems 5w works best in the forks.

Most of us run full synthetic at 80:1 with high octane pump gas or so. Keeping it fresh is important. The tanks may expand with alcohol and become hard to fit into the frame.

I agree with what cope says, I've always used 5wt in my forks & do a fair amount of trail riding.

The comment on alcohol affecting the tanks is right on the money, I've got a brand new tank on the kitchen table waiting for me to fit the correct graphics to tonight so I can go riding this weekend, the old one had a major bend in it if I could get it onto the frame & the guard sits nowhere near the frame at the rear. This happened in a fairly short time after ethanol started getting to our 98octane petrol

what paint did you use? It looks really good

Its okay in person. looks great in photo.

I used Kryall fusion the plastex paint.

Just Wal-mart platic paint.

I had an issue with the original paint job already being on the plastic and tank. Where there is scratches in the clear coat of the tank, oil seeped into the cracked and the paint did not stick well. Its just on a few spots and I dont care. But If you DID care, I would use fine sandpaper and a degreaser and get everything up.

was just curious about what paint you used, I have painted up my Sherco a few times now. I use Rustoleum's plastic paint. covers good and stays flexible. I have done many 50/50 paint jobs. Looks Awesome at 50 feet and 50 MPH!!

was just curious about what paint you used, I have painted up my Sherco a few times now. I use Rustoleum's plastic paint. covers good and stays flexible. I have done many 50/50 paint jobs. Looks Awesome at 50 feet and 50 MPH!!

LOL Zippy, This is defenantly a 50/50 paint job but i got the bike for cheap and the original fenders and tank were already junk, so I went for it.

Check out Post #10

What are ya'll using to undo the top allen bolt from the forks to get to the seals?

I seen ryan young use a spark plug socket. Do I need to buy one?

Also the seal driver from ryan young... is that nessesary?