2002 290 Resoration - New To Trials

bmktw2

- "I'd say the previous owner removed it, you'll be able to see where it fits if you look on the underside of the swingarm just behind the footpeg"

I looked under the swimgarm and found the threads where the tensioner goes into.

-"Maintainence basically involves air filter & oil changes, pistons last for years in these"

Im happy I dont have to do major over hauls.

-"I bought the carb to airbox joint off splatshop-leave it fitted to the carb whenever you remove the airbox as it's easier to refit that way."

So the factory airbox to carb hose from spat shop works good?

-"Does yours also have a casting for another vent on the other side?"

My PWK carb does have a casting vent on the other side vent but its not functional... it looks like a vent, but upon closer inspection, there is no hole inside.

I moved the bars n stuff around. Thanks cope

DSC03938.jpg?t=1347222241

That looks a bit better. You did pull off the crossbar pad before doing the allen wrench trick did you not? The bars look really forward now, but it may just be the angle of the pic.

As the Kiehin has a larger inlet spigot, the only factory inlet rubber that fits would be for a later model Cabestany Replica bike that came with that carb. Although many of these mods were done prior to the availability of that factory hose, most things wound up like yours.

I have a reinforced aircraft inlet hose that I use on my bike to this day. Much heavier duty than the factory hose. It is a bit-- to get on the carb, and you do not need a clamp once it is on, it just stays there. Remove other end for maintenance as Tony stated. I can send you one for yours if you like, PM me. Cost about $5.00 for the postage. Part is $3 at my cost. I do not make anything on these.

The Kiehin is a better mixer than the stock Dellorto, yet they can be more finiky. As it is a 28mm as compared to the stock 26mm, they offer bigger power as well.

The Pros do not use bowl vent tubes, they just clean the carbs all the time. As the bowl vent to atmospheric pressure is critical, I found it easier to take the time and drill out the left side vent casting to make it fully funtional. As my right hose was pinching off, it was useless, so left it essentially blocked off. Then use a short hose about 2-3 inches long as a water and crap diflector on the now functional left side vent. All depends upon how good you are with a drill press and some carefull measures here!

An inline fuel filter is reccomendable for the Kiehin, as it does not have one built in like the Dellorto, although there is a decent screen in the petcock assy. if in good shape?

There is a special wire ring that attaches to a number plate or headlamp that guides the front brake cable and keeps it from flopping around. Ryan has this stuff.

Other thoughts- Be sure the magneto cover is not trapping water, as they are prone to leak. I allways put a 1/8 hole in the bottom ov mine to let things drain and vent. :icon_salut:

- "I'd say the previous owner removed it, you'll be able to see where it fits if you look on the underside of the swingarm just behind the footpeg"

I looked under the swimgarm and found the threads where the tensioner goes into.

It can be a pain to fit due to the spring but removing the pad makes it easier

-"I bought the carb to airbox joint off splatshop-leave it fitted to the carb whenever you remove the airbox as it's easier to refit that way."

So the factory airbox to carb hose from spat shop works good?

Works well & is a perfect fit, was easier than trying to find something to fit

-"Does yours also have a casting for another vent on the other side?"

My PWK carb does have a casting vent on the other side vent but its not functional... it looks like a vent, but upon closer inspection, there is no hole inside.

Splatshop has a run down on the mods that they do to the PWK, drilling out the second vent is 1 of the things they do

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/how-to-modifiy-keihin-pwk-28-trials-bike.html

If you want I can take a few photos of my bike to show you a few of the mods done including the short racing gearlever that allows removal of the ignition cover with the gear lever still in place, I have a few other minor mods that improve the bike for trail riding & muddy trials

Cope,

-Ya I took the pad off. I did it exactly how u said to do it.

-I ordered a factory carb2airbox hose from splatshop. If it dosent work, ill send you the mooney for sure.

-Thanks for the heads up on the carb mod, fuel filter and trapped water.

Tony,

-That link on splatshop website is awesome! Thanks.

-Hell ya post pictures of your setup right here! I'd like to check it out.

001-1.jpg

Race(short) gearlever & 06 ignition cover.

Lever allows easier removal of cover, cover is more rigid & much better sealed

002-2.jpg

Oko 28mm D-slide carb with clear float bowl & V-force reed block

Carb came with intake manifold that is 28mm minimum inside, genuine Sherco airbox connector for Keihin carb

003-2.jpg

Fork protection & disc cover

Fork cover is made from cutting lay flat hose. Later disc cover fitted for looks & covers more of disc

004-1.jpg

Disc cover & snail cams

Chrome framed bikes didn't have disc covers, matches front cover. Jitsie snail cams fitted which give more positive alignment

005-1.jpg

Modified radiator cover

Mounting holes cut & slotted to allow easy removal for cleaning radiator

006-1.jpg

Billet footpegs

Have brass domes on top for better wear, very grippy pegs that are very strong

I have a pre-filter glued across the top of the filter holder which is a work in progress & a TRP shock fitted which I didn't take photos of but will when I get around to taking shots for garage section

Hope these give you a few ideas on small improvements you can make that make life easier

Edited by tony27

Pretty sure they are the same cover in a different colour

Found the short lever by looking at the standard lever & it was at the bottom of the page

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/sherco-gear-lever-racing-short.html

Quite often aftermarket levers are listed on ebay as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sherco-Trials-Bike-Gear-Lever-Short-1999-2012-BLUE-NEW-/170714907672?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27bf66c418

Go easy with the radiator-cover modification, I know it's a great advantage when clearing the 'clarts' (Geordie dictionary needed) but I've seen the matrix perforated because the cover chafes away at it,given enough time. :closedeyes:

Can't see how that can happen seeing as making the holes into an open slot is not letting the radiator cover get any closer to the actual radiator.

Have had the fan mounting shroud wear through a couple of the tubes at the back of the radiator though, that was before modifying the front cover