Rotating Rear Tyre

lee_28

I have been wondering the same thing and I would like to know why the tire is directional when the tread is identical

Some tires have a wrinkle wall that lets to tire flex or sort of collapse when driven in the correct direction adding traction

Drag race cars are a good example, my Tryall trials bicycle tires are another, it's very obvious when the tire pressure is low

I don't know if Michelin does this as well ?? Any tire experts on here?

The michelin has directional and a balancing mark (dot). The directional does not seem to have a purpose. If you are a top rider rotating the tire for a one day event does have a purpose. If you are rotating to extend tire life you are actually just wearing it out faster. Rotating the tire will wear the height of the knobs faster, which means you will need a tire sooner.

in the uk riders generally rely on the sharp block edge for grip in wetter conditions once the edge is worn off the tyre aint much use hence the need for turning to regain that new edge the knob can be tall but no sharp edge its only good for practice ,, try rubbing your hand against an unworn edge then a worn edge you will feel the difference

I have been wondering the same thing and I would like to know why the tire is directional when the tread is identical

Some tires have a wrinkle wall that lets to tire flex or sort of collapse when driven in the correct direction adding traction

Drag race cars are a good example, my Tryall trials bicycle tires are another, it's very obvious when the tire pressure is low

I've always assumed that it's because of the joint in the fabric of the tire. Most tires (not Dunlop) are made of flat fabric so there is a joint where the fabric ends overlap. I've never heard of any one having a problem running one backwards though.