Really , Is It A Classic ?

shyted

Don't know how some of you feel on this subject but here goes .

Sorry but this subject has been in the back of my mind for ages . I am completely amazed by some of the bikes (road and off road ) that are being touted as " classic" . Bikes what were crap then and are still crap now going for silly money .Not saying that they've not had good ( not em all that's for sure ) jobs done on them ,but for god's sake . I saw an add for a Honda 750 saber .Grotesque looking ,crap quality , i,ll handling junk . Assuring selling point "Great drive" "collectable classic " .

If that bike is a classic , i'll platt ***** !

It's old , that's for sure ,was out the same time as Freddie Spencer ,

When rubbish metal plug cap's sold with most jap bikes then , are being bought for daft prices now on bidding web sites , in the name of being standard , i wonder whats going on in peoples heads ! Show the said item a picture of a rain cloud and you get a dead short . That's why everybody who had them on their bikes got shut of them a.s.a.p and fitted proper

N.G.K ones that actually worked in all weathers .

Any one got a view on this ? Not restricted to trials bikes either .

Shyted.

Mostly right there! When you take a POS and rebuild it, you got yoursel a rebuilt POS!

Mostly shed queens!

Although there are a few hardcore that keep some really old stuff going for riding, and use them! Great stuff for many, and brings back mammories!

Best way to buy that stuff is to let them spand the dosh and work, then pick it up cheap, later! :closedeyes:

• Like 1

I am selling vintage air for those people wanting to be authentic in their rebuilt bikes. This is an expensive process but will complete your vintage motorcycle. We have in stock air from 1953 to 1983 excluding 1958 and 59. For orders visit www.suckedin.com/blowjobs for pricing.

One mans rubbish is another mans gold as they say.

It will be classed as a classic becuase the years tell us its a classic, it dont have to be a good bike to be classed as a classic.

Don't lets kid ourselfs though the reason we buy all this old junk is to get us out of the house and into the garage away from the Mrs.

• Like 2

Some stuff that was rubbish when new is now sorted and desireable - think how throwaway BSA bantams were,plus all the villiers engined stuff - James/FB etc. Now fully sorted they are the tool of choice for many in the "P65" game.....

Mind you flat twin BMW's will always be sh$*te ! :moon:

• Like 1

One mans rubbish is another mans gold as they say.

It will be classed as a classic becuase the years tell us its a classic, it dont have to be a good bike to be classed as a classic.

Don't lets kid ourselfs though the reason we buy all this old junk is to get us out of the house and into the garage away from the Mrs.

couldn't agree more

As Jon says many like Bantams and the like can be sorted now to make a good trials bike with cdi ignition a better piston some porting and sort the gears not to mention a few chassis tweeks. As for a lot of the road stuff touted they were crap in the day and no better now, rose coloured specs I think. The worst has got to be the sports mopeds, Fizzys at 4k, and the Italian offerings around the same prices, people are crazy. I worked at a bike dealers back in the day, during the PDI we removed the metal caps, some got to first service, now people are paying for them, obviously the rivet counting polishers, same goes for the old tool kits. Fools and their money easily parted........... even in the longest recession in the history of long recessions.

Most people add the word "Classic" to bump the price up when theyre selling. Bit like the word "Majesty" applied to every TY Yam.

Theres even an Austin Allegro owners club for gods sake. Care in the community or what?

Prefer an Allegro too Princess !!! Think they were named after tinned fish offal.

• Like 1

lets not kid ourselves bantams are still s**te they are just easier to ride than a big fourstroke in classic trials as for those suzuki gt s i dont think i ever seen one running on all cylinders at the same time

You need to have a shot on a good bantam, might change your opinion.

The GT's will have had those metal plug caps, which are now desirable, apparently.

Edited by b40rt

Prefer an Allegro too Princess !!! Think they were named after tinned fish offal.

The Austin Allegro or All Aggro as we called them when i worked at Wadham Stringers. Princess really needed roller skates strapping to the door handles to improve the handling.

The thing is the anoraks with sheds are buying up stuff to make ever more garage queens basically cos theyve got "all the gear and no idea". That was ok but now they are buying trials bikes and doing the same. Best reason for never attending a "Bike Show" why the hell would anybody want to look at a bog standard spotlessly clean competition bike? I've tried a cross and garlic whenever one comes over to "talk" but need something more powerful perhaps a Kalashnikov ?

• Like 1