No Stop Rule

modifier

the stop with penelty is a modified ITSA rule..

you can stop. but if you put a foot down while stopped? its a 5.

as well. as if you put a foot down and stop while doing so..its also a 5.

its that whole human kickstand thing.

a few years ago.

AHRMA had listed its no stop.. stopping of foward motion..

then had it explained as long as suspension was loaded,{moving} or a wheel was moving{slipping}

it was foward motion,

they then took it further like FIM has it now..even a split second stop is a 5.

how i scored..

if the rider is moving, or changing up, suspension loaded, body moving on the bike, {floater, ect} or the rear wheel is moving...{spinning in the mud, loss of traction} and foward motion is recovered without a dab its clean.

i gave a 1thousand, 2 thousand 3 thousand....5 count.

seeing this is a heart felt issue, i dont see it staying around, i belive it will hurt more then help the future of the sport, at least here in the states.

riders will still ride, just in other venues, like in the past, some rules arent very well thought out by those who put them on the books.

even worse...NATC FIM, are pushing some other rulings..that you have to prove you can ride , before you can ride Pro, Exp or Adv. even if youv been riding that class for years, at the national level.

a rider grading group so to speak..

imagine, sending in your money, packing up you bike, and gear, taking time off work, driving 2000 miles, spending money on fuel, motel ect, then have somebody say...you cant ride, your not good enough, you dropped 80 points last year at an event...too bad.

• Like 1

Chuck,

I do like that ITSA rule, thank you for telling me about it actually being in use. Within MOTA I have said for years that stop with foot down should be a 5 and not a 1 as it is now. (crap, I think I am thinking much like Chuck does.........could be worse)

even worse...NATC FIM, are pushing some other rulings..that you have to prove you can ride , before you can ride Pro, Exp or Adv. even if youv been riding that class for years, at the national level.

a rider grading group so to speak..

imagine, sending in your money, packing up you bike, and gear, taking time off work, driving 2000 miles, spending money on fuel, motel ect, then have somebody say...you cant ride, your not good enough, you dropped 80 points last year at an event...too bad.

That would SUCK!!! everytime I moved up a class I routinely dropped over 100 points every event for the first year. But that is how I got better. Besides if I am dumb enough to ride that class let me go, I know the risks!

• Like 1

OK... Here I am as a old guy with a 240 pro ... Clutch is one finger feather lite ... I've watched Ryan Young ride my bike and do things (with his grin ) that I can only dream of... I just got a 97 Section in pristine condition (except for leaking fork seals and a inop kill switch .) And I already can do things I didn't think I could ... So I just took a major technology jump and am amazed at evolution !

But trials is still a thinking mans sport , PICK YOUR LINE AND STICK TO IT !!! don't stop in the middle of a section to decide what to do ! keep moving forward ................. plan your dab if you need to , And Chuck I'll ride support / whatever if they will let me in TN , or I will Observe ... I can cuss back in spanish , French and italian ....I got no problem giving a five to anybody , The circus act trials is unbelievable , but come on , how many people think they can PARTICIPATE at that level ???. I just want to ride my bikes and have fun with my friends.

Glenn

See you at TTC !

• Like 1

unfortunatly, i wont be at the world round this year, i even had a free ride offered, and a bike, and a place to stay,. and so on.

i have a full plate with setting trials, and getting my ride ready for the Nationals, im planning on the TS line this year again..maybe i can swap out that #5 plate for a #1 plate..

im the anti drama sort, and avoid it..as i dont deal with it very well lol.

i can relate, Keith Wineland hopped around on the back wheel on my late wifes KT 250..the look on her face was priceless, when they say you cant hop and stop on a twin shock...i say..BS..iv seen it done..

honestly. i dont think this rule will stay, and wont come to the NATC..it hasnt even started yet, and already people are standing on the soap box, thumping chests..

One thing about US trials, not unlike clubs in the UK, is the fact we can choose as we like!

On a club level we are not bound by anything, really! I like that in many ways because it allows the flexability of the Trialsmaster of the day to set the course accordingly and the rules of the day accordingly.

Now as this may sound confusing at first, it really gives a refresh to the average event. Choose between simple things such as :

Stop allowed

No-stop

Gate trials

Timed trials

Indoor style

Then add variations such as :

Stop for one

Modified gate trials (Avahla rules)

Team events

All said, some may prefer one thing, another another, but keeping things fun and interisting is one key to good fun riding and club participation, I believe, and I am not planning upon riding any WTC or NATC events any time soon so let them do whatever they like......

There seems to me to be a lot of riders who are really "Hard Core" , good for them, we have a hard core class, a sandbagger class, god knows we have soo many classes it is stupid, really! That is another topic!

• Like 1

I am not planning upon riding any WTC or NATC events any time soon so let them do whatever they like......

Well POO!! I was looking forward to seeing a Texan on the podium! Holding his cactus juice high!!!

OK not for once passing a judgement because everybody knows where i stand on this but have you guys watched a recent video of the SSDT, one of if not the premier event in the Trials year, an event which is run to non stop rules ? It proves if the sections are laid out correctly with non stop in mind using natural terrain instead of micky mouse man made obsticles then it works. Please dont tell me you dont have suitable terrain in the US because i just wont believe you.

So just dont get how it can work for one international event, whose competitors also ride stop allowed in their own countries, and not work everywhere?

Surely proves the "arguement" is purely down to personal preference :popcorn:

Finding long rockey burns here is rare where I live. The SSDT does have a natural flow of things that works, and even though there may be some areas here, not enough to do an entire set of sections.

• Like 1

Finding long rockey burns here is rare where I live. The SSDT does have a natural flow of things that works, and even though there may be some areas here, not enough to do an entire set of sections.

Surprises me but if you say so then i bow to your local knowledge. Over here the piccys of the US we are fed show it as spectacular scenery and millions of acres of mountains and woodlands with stream and river beds aplenty. Just goes to prove you cant believe what the haunted fishtank in th ecorner of the room feeds your mind. Sorry :blush:

Having beautiful scenic "burns" and being able to ride in them are two different things. I doubt that an event as highly publisized and famous as the SSDT would be able to run anywhere in North America in stream beads, without any kind of protests.

Yes we do actually have much great riding areas, but like Steve Fracy says the ones we can actually use are very far apart. Much like you guys travelling a couple of coutries away to get to them.

MOTA is fortunate because most of our events are located in one state and 2 event sites are outside of the state. but just past the state border line. If I understand correctly most of the "local" clubs in the USA actually incorporate an average of 5 states. (I may be wrong on that)

MOTA depends VERY HIGHLY on private land owners willing to allow us to ride on their land. The Bent Fenders club in MOTA currently uses a property that is 10 acres at the most, so we have to work with what we got. and one thing MOTA riders can do is tight turns............or at least you learn pretty quick. :wall:

Edited by zippy
  • Like 1