No Stop Rule

modifier

Mark everybody from the USA is considered a Yanky in the UK even the southerners. Mark is right when Hank Hill (Mark) and I are next to each other you can tell we are speaking from two different worlds. Mark, when I speak what you are hearing is not an accent but rather English words pronounced properly. An since when do I ever get a 5 in a section ??? 4.5 maybe but never a whole 5!

• Like 2

I keep reading about there was no-stop before 1985, this is not correct! I have a copy of the AMA and RMTA rules from 1973 and they state you can stop with both feet up and you can not better your position. Put a foot down and it is a 5. I could live with a rule like this.

JK

• Like 2

Most years the ama rules made very little sense with club or the national rules. And yes if you stopped and balanced it was a 5. That is why we used to call balancing a wasted skill. Now what you might be actually reading was a quick slight pause as we did not call it, a fast five as people are the most worried about. But stopped with a foot down was a 5 no question. The bikes could run so slow without the clutch it was like driving an automatic, heavy flywheels and we ran with no idle set.

Edited by lineaway

Andy,can we start a whole new forum where Billy and Copey can speak their native tongue, and folks can try and see if they understand it??? I guess I am lucky, Billy speaks perfect english to my ear, yet, I can also understand Copey too! Lets quit wasting time on here and figure out how we can all meet in person.....Well, at least I mean Copey anyway. Had lots of great times with Billy over the years......

• Like 1

The tuchter has spoken. Sorry my laird Fracy.

An urrainn dhut bruidhinn nàs maille? A can thu sin a-rithist, ma's e do thoil e?

Andy,can we start a whole new forum where Billy and Copey can speak their native tongue, and folks can try and see if they understand it??? I guess I am lucky, Billy speaks perfect english to my ear, yet, I can also understand Copey too! Lets quit wasting time on here and figure out how we can all meet in person.....Well, at least I mean Copey anyway. Had lots of great times with Billy over the years......

Hey Hank Hill (Mark) try these out below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BncDeMO_en0

As for no stop riding. If you look back at the origin of the sport stop or no stop was not an issue just getting from point a to b was the goal.

The sport started out as a quality test of the bikes design engineering, craftsmanship. They built the bikes and tried to ride them up the braes, hills, gullies behind the workshops and see if they held together. If it did it would surely hold up on the poorly paved roads at that time. It soon turned into a challenge to see who could go up the braes, hill, gullies without putting there feet down.

Mark are you going to Austin next weekend?

Edited by billyt
  • Like 2

Obviously Modifier is on the MO side of the line.

I guess you mean on the Missouri side of Kansas City. I do have property in both states but my house is on the KS side of the tracks. Joco not Wyco. ;) And no Billy T, I'm not a Sassanach.

Something has come up a bunch of times here when people talk about "No Stop". It seems to be interchangeable and was one of my questions from the beginning. No Stop meaning [stopping or reversing forward motion] being one interpretation, and [stopping with a foot down] being the other.

Imo stopping with a foot down should be and likely always has been a 5 (really should be on push bikes too), but the new rule refers to [any time forward motion is stopped], right? Whether you put your foot down or not. I wonder if that includes hoping up and down or around and stopping for an instant to set your front or rear wheel sideways, all to get a straight run at the section or get around a tight turn that could not be rolled? That is where I think the problem comes up. All those skills people have been working on for years would be for not. Your body or your bike may be moving doing those moves but the wheels are no longer rotating or continuing forward motion.

So which is it? Does the new rule say no stopping of the wheels or no putting your foot down and stopping?

Edited by modifier

I guess you mean on the Missouri side of Kansas City. I do have property in both states but my house is on the KS side of the tracks. Joco not Wyco. ;) And no Billy T, I'm not a Sassanach.

Something has come up a bunch of times here when people talk about "No Stop". It seems to be interchangeable and was one of my questions from the beginning. No Stop meaning [stopping or reversing forward motion] being one interpretation, and [stopping with a foot down] being the other.

Imo stopping with a foot down should be and likely always has been a 5 (really should be on push bikes too), but the new rule refers to [any time forward motion is stopped], right? Whether you put your foot down or not. I wonder if that includes hoping up and down or around and stopping for an instant to set your front or rear wheel sideways, all to get a straight run at the section or get around a tight turn that could not be rolled? That is where I think the problem comes up. All those skills people have been working on for years would be for not. Your body or your bike may be moving doing those moves but the wheels are no longer rotating or continuing forward motion.

So which is it? Does the new rule say no stopping of the wheels or no putting your foot down and stopping?

It means no stopping of the wheels basically. I have not read the exact verbage of the current rules, but my impression is the rider must maintain forward progression. No hopping sideways either.

Now this can all get a bit tricky, because it really means forward in relation to the course, not the direction of the bike.

The good riders are very good at doing some things like a rolling hop and such that stillows them to maneuver quite well in positioning the bike whyle maintaining dynamic motion in the correct direction, yet things git a bit confusing and then add the fact that momentary hesitation is seldome called.

All clear as mud, you know!