Dead Man Switch? What Next Training Wheels.

sideup

Just reading about the new "Factory " GasGas model.

Text states: "we have integrated the CDI map and light switches into a small plastic cover on each side. With this change, on the handlebars, the rider will only find indispensable components: Master cylinder and levers for the clutch and front brake, and following the FIM rules, the "dead-man" engine stop switch system."

I see a nice little wrist strap hanging from the bars. As a Clubman rider I can't say one of those might have come in handy from time to time, but to make the best riders in the world wear them?

What next rubber baby bumpers and training wheels? Maybe they deemed no-stop too dangerous for machine get aways.

• Like 1

Have to disagree with you there sideup.

The introduction by FIM of the dead-man engine stop switch, is in my opinion the most important inclusion for WTC riders and should be applauded.

No matter how good these riders are, a runaway bike that has been launched at obstacles they are negotiating in the manner now required, do turn these bikes into a virtual lethal weapon

If control is lost with crowds of on lookers so close to the action, the instant saftey they ensure cannot be underestimated for all concerned, riders, minders, spectators and officials.

• Like 6

Essential bit of kit - even if it doesn't work 100% of the time.

The one rule we don't get is the rear sprocket guard. How many minders/riders/spectators have lost/damaged fingers in the rear sprocket?

I would have thought if the kit was good enough quality it should work 99% of the time as the bike should have had the ignition cut before it starts singing.

My dad would do Parades on his TLR200 Reflex. (Nose wheelies or Endos, a teeter totter. wheelies, ride over a car etc....) and he fashioned a kill switch with a set of points and non-conductive something or other attached with a wrist strap. Worked every time. He also got an electric motor (Reflex had battery) and hooked it into the kill switch circuit. this motor would then pull on the rear brake rod and engage the rear brake as well. Was a pretty cool set up.

So lanyard type "Dead man switch" "kill switch": maybe a good idea for all levels of competition............... but the way I ride I would rather have it attached to my chest. I use my hands to make dabs on trees too often.

• Like 2

The one rule we don't get is the rear sprocket guard. How many minders/riders/spectators have lost/damaged fingers in the rear sprocket?

Stuart robinson did, but think that was front disc (?) then a spanish lads dad at the first round in 09 think it was lost a finger or two and that was rear.

Edited by nigel dabster
finger spelling

Stuart robinson did, but think that was front disc (?) then a spanish lads dad at the first round in 09 think it was lost a finger or two and that was rear.

Stuart's was from a front disc.

Ok, I will admit having a automatic way to shut down the engine would be a good thing for any motorsport, I guess my issue, in the age of keyless entry systems for cars, smart phones, bluetooth technogy we are still using 1960's lanyard systems tied to a riders wrist. Yeah that's convenient, riding down the trail wanting to adjust your helmet, etc.

It reminds me of soap on a rope, or the mittens tied together with strings so we wouldn't lose our mittens on the way to school.

I observed a world round in Goldendale when a Japanese WR rider failed to get to the top of a ledge. As he fell back the throttle went full on and he dumped the clutch as he fell back. That bike shot about 10 feet into the air. This all happen well before a wrist strap would have cut out the engine. Trials can be a dangerous sport, just like any motorsport.

At least this not about the merits of No-stop huh?

Edited by sideup

A riderless out of control bike is a lower-probability-but-higer-consequence event at a WTC event than at clubman level, what with the close proximity of a group of spectators pushing to the edge of the Section. So at this level the dead man switch keeps an event safe. For we Clubbies, it probably is more of an aid to keep our bike safe by avoiding a handlebar end and throttle jammed open in the dirt while we pick ourselves up.

On a less serious note, I bought myself a lanyard switch a few months back....

So lanyard type "Dead man switch" "kill switch": maybe a good idea for all levels of competition............... but the way I ride I would rather have it attached to my chest. I use my hands to make dabs on trees too often.

I found that with it on the handlebar you CAN scratch your forehead (the elastic lanyard stretches quite a way while staying attached) but that you CAN'T scratch your back (it only stretches so far before letting go). Nothing like belting along in 4th gear between sections with one hand on the bars, the other behind your back, and suddenly the engine dies. Also, being magnetic, the damn things wander. Here's mine stuck to the side of the kitchen drawer, which is not much help when you've driven nearly an hour to a trial to find that it is not on the bike.

photo-2.jpg

Edited by ross brown