Lanyard Kill Switch - Good Or Bad?

hoggyf

I agree with all the above, great for safety and protecting yourself from the engine going bang.

We have had incidents of them getting pulled off by the undergrowth mid section though which is a bugger.

I have also seen someone get shot in the eye with one during a bail out.

Had trouble finding his bike then had to ride with only one eye cos the kid couldn't see owt !!

Edited by crashmonkey

Last year a member of our club kicked over his bike and it must have been in gear or partially in gear. The bike took off into a lantana bush and screamed it's head off while his hand somehow managed to get mangled in the chain/sprocket. He needed surgery but thankfully he's back on his bike this year and guess what? He and a lot of us in the club now run lanyards! I still have the factory push button fitted so i can use either.

Get a spare, i turned up at an event and went to start the bike and realised i left the lanyard at home but luckily i had a spare buried in my spare parts bag. As far as riding with it - i've done some events and it's now second nature, i don't even think about it.

cheers

• Like 2

Personally as a beginner I've found it brilliant and has now saved my GG from more damage - I wired it in parallel to the existing kill switch so I can use either, I double loop it round my wrist so there's no loopy bits, if I'm that far into the bushes ( being based in Kent as well !) that it gets pulled out by accident I've gone wrong anyway and usually better off stopping before I fall off again.... :closedeyes: .

• Like 1

I got one off eBay that has both a normal kill switch and the lanyard on the same mount. Its not a magnet, its a rubber plug but works just the same. So when normal riding and messing about you can just wrap the lanyard around the bars and use the button and for those "here hold my beer at watch this" moments you can just stick your hand in the lanyard. Best of both :-)

£10.99

KGrHqJHJDQE7yVyuMBPDJtye3g60_12_zps6dc52674.jpg

Out of interest how would I go about wiring a lanyard switch up so as to keep my original kill switch too?

Edited by sawtooth

Have to say that I really think these things are a great idea. :thumbup:

I had the "opportunity" to drop my bike & test out the new kill switch, numerous times this afternoon. :shutup::stupid: It worked very nicely! :thumbup: I'm a fan of these things!

The only time it was any trouble at all was after I killed it, and took my pack off to pilfer around for a new Zippy-Tie for my rear fender, After the repair, for some reason, I put the magnet & strap in my pack, my pack on my back, and then kicked for a minute or so before I saw what the problem was.... :wall:

Jimmie

Added in EDIT: Sawtooth, why would you feel that you need what essentially amounts to 3 kill buttons? At any rate, I'd think all you'd need to do is put the ring terminal on the ground by the coil, with all the other ones on there, and then find the right connectors (auto parts houses have those things here in the states) to go from two wires/connectors into the one wire for the kill switch.....

Edited by mr neutron

I wasn't thinking of 3, was just curious how to wire both a mag lanyard switch and a normal switch at the same time. As I figure It you just wire them both up as normal the circuit would always be complete by one of the devices?

Edited by sawtooth

Sawtooth,

I got the same switch as your photo - I took the round ends of the connectors so just had the bare wire, then attached it next to the existing button kill switch, ran the new wires next to the button switch ones and underneath the tank took off a bit of the insulation on those and taped the two together so sort of running in parallel. Tested them both before i put everything back and its been fine - I can use either.... just needed lots of insulation tape and cable ties.

Hi Guy's

I put my comments on the previous recent threed on Lanyards and I think they are great, it's great to hear the motor stop as you hit the ground. One thing I'll mention though. I always check the magnet and the switch top for sand, or what ever, that gets stuck to the contact surfaces.

I could not work out how this was happening as the sand was dry and the contacts free of grease. My mate said that as we ride on properties in the Charters Towers gold field area the particles are metalic [he's an amature prospector]. I had a closer look the last time I came off and sure enough the grit was attracted to the switch contacts.

Cheers Taff

Sawtooth,

I got the same switch as your photo - I took the round ends of the connectors so just had the bare wire, then attached it next to the existing button kill switch, ran the new wires next to the button switch ones and underneath the tank took off a bit of the insulation on those and taped the two together so sort of running in parallel. Tested them both before i put everything back and its been fine - I can use either.... just needed lots of insulation tape and cable ties.

Still not quite sure I get it, am a great mechanical engineer, but when it comes to wiring I'm not so good. Any chance you could draw a diagram?

Edited by sawtooth