Queuing At Sections

cleanorbust

Interesting to read the complaint about queue jumpers in the Bradford Club trials results posted this week.

While queue jumping may be annoying, it's certainly nothing new. It brings to mind an interview with Mart and Rastus when they were near the top of their game some 40 years ago in one of the monthly bike mags (at the time they were running a coal delivery firm together).

They freely admitted to parking their bikes at the front of a queue ready to slot straight in at the front after inspecting the section. As they put it "most people think it's because we can't be bothered waiting" but actually it was deliberate so that after they had prepared the section as well as possible with some careful bootwork, making sure the rocks were placed as advantageously as possible, they didn't want their gardening work messed up by twenty people ploughing through in front of them after they got back to their bikes. Certainly when I was riding nationals in the 70s/80s it was commonplace for the works riders to wedge their bikes in by the start cards ready to ride the section straight after looking at it. This never bothered me as I was happy to finish the trial and wouldn't be held up by an expert going through in front of me, and as most people understood, their income depended on them getting the best result possible. Mine didn't.

This isn't to condone rude behaviour, just an observation that some things never change.

• Like 1

I must admit this is something that frustrates me. It's the same riders you don't see early in the trial. I'd like to see it in bold letters on the entrance form. ie I UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF QUEING AT SECTIONS AND WILL WAIT MY TURN. or the last bike in the que is passed a tazer from previous rider !!!!

• Like 4

Hi another five,

When I was in the West Leeds club queue jumping was treated as an invitation to let the 'jumpers' bike fall in the river at Post Hill - or be moved to a more amenable parking space just out of reach up the steepest part of the 1 in 1.4 hill.

By the way did you realise the first ever TV scramble was screened at Post Hill - now there's a bit of history most people didn't know. I'm lucky - I was there......

Enjoy - and did you realise the 'another five' you pinched was mine,

Queue jumping is not acceptable as far as I'm concerned,but sometimes if its a big wide queue its easy to forget who you are behind.(My short term memory is rubbish) So I often ask who is next,before I move forward.

What is interesting though is riders attitude towards observers,I often end up observing at our trials as we are often short. I reckon just over half the entry seem to be bothered with thanking the observer,not good really when you consider they have often spent 3 hours hanging around in the cold/heat/wind/rain etc.I think observers should be treated far better,not by paying them,(Trials is not about money,its about minds and balance to me) - but showing consideration and appreciation of their help.We feed and water our observers, and I have taken out hot drinks to them on particularly cold days.

The consistency of having an observer at each section cannot be matched in any other way.But to convince some club members to give up a ride once every two years to observe,(And get a free ride next time) is not always easy....

• Like 7

Completely agree on both issues

The queues that really annoy me are the funnels - where it becomes a free for all. I know there isn't always room for an 'orderly' queue but you have to try !

And secondly not thanking observers is just plain ignorant. :wall:

When we did kids route the last few years (the kids have now graduated to the main route) the first rule we taught, even on the small conducted route courses we did was 'always say thank you to the observers' - and its stuck.

Mind you, at my age now I'm often thankful of a 15 minute sit down before a section ! :hyper:

• Like 3

Must admit I've never had a problem with "moving" a bike that was "parked" at the head of the queue. Sometimes they just fell on the ground as I rode past or might have got knocked inadvertently as I manoeuvred into position to start my attempt. Typical ignorant "Experts" who should know better. Sometimes even the plug caps came loose :popcorn:

• Like 1

Must admit I've never had a problem with "moving" a bike that was "parked" at the head of the queue. Sometimes they just fell on the ground as I rode past or might have got knocked inadvertently as I manoeuvred into position to start my attempt. Typical ignorant "Experts" who should know better. Sometimes even the plug caps came loose :popcorn:

Funny how the pilot air screw turns 1/2 a turn anti clockwise too.... :closedeyes:

• Like 2

Stupid question but do you thank the observers at each section as you go around or at the end of the day? (I've yet to compete)

Cheers

Absolutely! Thank the checkers every time they punch my card (even if it is a 5) and at the end of the event. Also make sure to thank the trials Master, all the people who worked to set the loop, the sections and do the scoring. Don't forget the land-owner or government officials who made it possible for us to go have our fun.

I think that is not just common courtesy but it goes a long way toward allowing us to hold future events. And you know what? It costs nothing. Why wouldn't you do it?

• Like 4

I've always thanked the observers and the CoC as it's only common courtesy and polite. Unlike pushing to the front of a queue which is plain ignorant and very bad manners and I don't care who it is. No rider is more important than any other. If it's you job then as a representative of that company it is your duty to represent them in a good light. THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WORLD TODAY and no wonder the kids grow up bloody minded, selfish, self centered and ignorant.

• Like 1

I think that is not just common courtesy but it goes a long way toward allowing us to hold future events. And you know what? It costs nothing. Why wouldn't you do it?

No I absolutely agree, manners cost nothing, but not having yet done a trial I was wondering what the etiquette was!