The Thieving B.........

paulmc

Do you ride at Charltons , you may of been followed home, I go a different route home each time and check to see if I'm been followed.

I hope you get them back because plod don't give a **** about off road bikes, I'll keep my eyes and ears open in the eston area

That's a good point, about Charltons

FYI the bikes were secured to the floor and the garage was properly alarmed and sits inside a secure courtyard. The alarm was disabled, a small side window (hidden under bushes) was forced and the heavy duty chain was exposed and cut with professional tools, in the option of the CSI officer attending.The bikes were removed the same way.

Neither any of our tools nor any of the garage doors were touched or damaged. I sincerely hope that the perpetrators are kin to the late uncle of Kim Jong Un

I certainly sounds like you had taken great precautions and these guys were not amateurs. I concur about the fait these guys should encounter.

Just thinking about it, I have a couple ideas that might help you and others in the future. I have a long driveway and installed a driveway alarm. It is a small battery operated motion sensor that send a radio signal to a small unit inside my house that beeps when there is motion on my drive. One of those mounted inside your garage would be virtually unnoticeable to thieves and since there are no wires, they could not cut them. It can send a signal up to about 300 meters to the receiver. This could alert you of their presence without them even knowing.

Another idea I have been considering is using one of those game cameras that hunters use in the woods. You can mount them to view a certain area and when it senses motion it takes a picture. This could also be mounted inside a garage.

It sounds like a good set of security bars over the window are in order.

I sure hope you get them back soon.

A FEW TIPS BASED ON EXPERIENCE.

Firstly we are normal honest people the thieves are not so don't fall into the trap information as follows.

Some or all of this has been wrote but now in one place please add as you see fit.

1.Advertising for sale on eBay or similar sites leaves you wide open to address identification.

2.Washing off in full view on the driveway again easy identification.

3.Sign writing on vans stating related bike products again easy identification.

4.If you sell privately never take photos of the bikes outside your home they only need the general area or postcode during sales conversation they then know where you live with the help of google street maps and google earth.

5.Don't forget they are professional thieves they know every trick and are desperate for cash on cheap resale.

6.Likely the thefts are to order and by the time you have realised a theft they are on a boat or stripped ready to sell for parts.

7.The Police will do nothing except give the impression that they are doing all they can the reality is they know there is little chance and frankly can't be bothered.

8.Considering selling or part exchanging through dealers but note when you register the bike it's registered to your address.

9.Transporting with open trailers so being followed home makes easy identification that you own bikes and so the location of storage.

10.Don't store in the garage got to go in the house the wife will be less upset than a financial loss okay remove the petrol and make sure it's clean which it should be anyway !

11.Meet a potential viewer at the local garage with a few of your mates just in case -so easy to show a buyer at storage address he doesn't buy then tells his mate they nick it a few days later.

Our bikes were stolen two years ago now replaced with road registration and so insured which was £130 a bike per year-all bikes are fitted with a tracker which was £165 and £13 per month and chained together and to the kitchen floor and alarmed all doors and windows not to mention the dogs.

Lastly even at the trials or practice ground chain it to the van or trailer it's just so easy to walk off with a trials bike while the kettle is on!

Please add any other tips to this thread to help the unwary.

The only people to stop this is us bike owners!

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of this happening to you. We have in a couple of locations at our farm and home area where motion activated cameras are in use and they are fantastic. They are small portable motion activated cameras that run on AA sized batteries (or solar panels) and can last for months at time running 24/7 using infra-red for night time images. They are weatherproof cameras and take photos and video. Well worth looking into, hope you bikes are found and returned safely.

Sorry to hear of this happening to you. We have in a couple of locations at our farm and home area where motion activated cameras are in use and they are fantastic. They are small portable motion activated cameras that run on AA sized batteries (or solar panels) and can last for months at time running 24/7 using infra-red for night time images. They are weatherproof cameras and take photos and video. Well worth looking into, hope you bikes are found and returned safely.

Do you happen to know the brand name of these cameras please

Keep nagging plod into action.They don't care two hoot's.

If you find out who they are , and do them over,don't tell anyone ,don't get caught , deny it up to the hilt if you get lifted. My mate Sean got six months aggravated assault for lethering two bloke's who came back twice to nick his CBR 600 despite the cop's arresting them.He caught them in the act the second time and worked them over with his bare hands despite being attacked with a pair of bolt crops.The cop's gave him the good cop bad cop routine and because he was honest they put him in Strangeways.

Good luck pal and i'll be keeping an eye where ever i go .

Edited by shyted

The advice from security companies regarding cameras or PIRs is always position them so they overlook each other. This means if someone tries to disable one they will be picked up by the other.

If you have PIRs check they still work frequently. There is a way of remotely disabling most PIRs (I am not going to disclose this) that only the high spec, high price PIRs are resistant to.

A hidden microphone and movement sensor are effective

Police and security firm advice is that the first line of defence are physical barriers, barred windows strong doors, locks etc.

The advice from security companies regarding cameras or PIRs is always position them so they overlook each other. This means if someone tries to disable one they will be picked up by the other.

There are some cheap, fake cameras with flashing red lights available. Mount them so they are easy to see while the real ones are hidden. While the crooks are looking at or disabling the fakes, the real ones can get pics.

Believe it or not, there was a news report here recently of someone who had their garage broken into and the robbers were scared away by one of those silly, "Billy Bass" motion operated fish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmjOkeS9Azo The police report said the robbers took very few thing and smashed the Billy Bass before running off.

• Like 1

I started this thread and I am pleased to report that I have managed to get one of the bikes (Rothmans 4rt) returned

This is in no small part to everyone who helped publicise the theft; this site, all the bikes shops local to me, John Lampkin, all the secretaries of various motor-clubs (particularly East Yorks centre) and countless people posting on Facebook/Twitter

While there are plenty of scumbags about, it is reaffirming to know there are significantly more decent folks, especially in the trials community

A big thank you to all.

• Like 5