Throttles Too Light?

neo

Before going to the trouble of altering the engine characteristics, you copuld try fitting a slow action throttlessemly if not already done. Apart from that, I'm sure you'll find that a bit of intensive practice will really help your control of the bike. The 290 is a powerful thing but even the rawest novices do get along with them when fully accustomed to riding them.

Hi All,

This a re-post from the Trials Australia forum. I was hopping you guys could help me out.

I

Many riders switched to the nine tooth front sprocket on the '02 bike. Makes it more controllable, or a 44t rear.

The Kiehin carb smoothes the power also on the bottom.

Nigel says that the boyesen reeds work as well.

The intake spacer and longer header pipe from the '05 bike are designed to smooth the power also.

And just a reminder, the higher octane fuels provide smoother power, 98 RON if you can get it.

And last but not least, a Sherco 2.0 is a smooth runner! :D

Just a small observation but at 57Kgs, you should seriously consider the 200 coz I found my 290 a bit zippy ( done all the same stuff as you except slow throttle) and im 80Kgs. The bike probally dont know your even on it! :D

With regards to the mods, you have already done everything to soften it that I am aware of except fit the KeiHin.

Thanks Webmonkey – it nice to know that I’m not the only one that’s found this bike a handful! :D

I just started riding this year again after a long break so I was never good enough to handle the 290 as a first bike. But like bikespace has said above, I have had to learn to control the clutch to the best of my ability to be able to ride it at all and it has helped a lot. I still got a long way to go though :lol:

the more you say the more it seems to me its you, and definately no disrespect meant by that. If you have a chance get the Ryan Young DVD its great. What I would concentrate on is back to basics. If you need to dip the clutch at the top of the aforementioned hill go back do it again but shut off early so you stop at the very top, master that and then try shutting off 1/2 way up and then opening up again. Try small blips over very small obstacles say only 2 or 3inches high open and shut open and shut til you have mastered it, and so on. it may well be that all the softening has actually made the bike more difficult to ride? You are probably opening the throttle 3 or 4 times what I have to with the standard setting, the more you open the further to shut sort of principle. Possible.

I ride 90% of the time on a 1/4" opening I'm sure.