How Much Power?

dadof2

Yes, I have a 199A 325 Bultaco I compete on as well. As much as I try I cant bring myself to ride the Bulto consistently in the modern style and basically end going back to the clutch out use the throttle style of riding. The clutch is one finger, but the weight and poor brakes make it difficult for me, anyway, to ride it modern style. I know one thing however a day on the Gasser is a lot less tiring than a day on the Bulto.

Cheers Greg

Edited by sherpa325

Yes, I have a 199A 325 Bultaco I compete on as well. As much as I try I cant bring myself to ride the Bulto consistently in the modern style and basically end going back to the clutch out use the throttle style of riding. The clutch is one finger, but the weight and poor brakes make it difficult for me, anyway, to ride modern style. I know one thing however a day on the Gasser is a lot less tiring than a day on the Bulto.

Cheers Greg

What is the modern style? I went to a trial on new years eve and got round pretty well with a few clears not touching the clutch just careful use of the throttle in first gear.

On the subject of power I am now considered putting a fast action throttle on the beta, there wasn't a lot of room in the sections and by the time I had wound the bike on it was too late on some of the banks and I just ended up getting stuck

I had a go on two TY 175s, I preferred the power delivery on the one with a fast action throttle.

Talking to some of the guys that day they said most riders there were over biked and not to to touch a 300 with a barge pole, a 300 is an experts bike apparently.

Edited by hrmad

• 3 months later...

There is a nice looking 2009 Beta 290 in striking distance at a good price. It doesn't seem to be a very popular model, is there anything specifically wrong with them? Speaking in terms of it being a challenge for a beginner to ride, how would it compare to a Gas gas 300?

I have heard mention of some of the Gas Gas 300 having a switch that reduces the power output. Does that switch work in any tangible way to make it easier to ride? Does the Beta 290 have a similar feature?

Thanks, Pat

This late arriving summer sure would be easier if there were a truck load of reasonably priced Montesa Cota 315R's and used Beta 200's around to pick from. That not being any where near the case around here, what is a good second or 3rd choice bike?

Some Betas suffer water pump corrosion needing a new primary case. Otherwise they are pretty well fault free but look out for stripped threads where fasteners go into alloy.

Bottom end power is fairly soft but builds rapidly at higher revs. Flywheel weight and slow action throttle are common mods.

Can't remember if the 09 has an ignition map switch. If the stator is movable you can get some of the effect of a softer power map by retarding ignition timing a touch.

Edited by dadof2
  • Like 1

The Beta 270 which is what you're looking at traditionally is used by the top level riders which should give you an idea of what it's like, as long as you keep away from the really high revs which would be most of the time the big difference that is noticeable is more torque down low than the 250

Have a look at this for what to check for specifically

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/39651-going-to-look-at-09-beta-evo-290-tomorrow-please-help/

There is a nice looking 2009 Beta 290 in striking distance at a good price. It doesn't seem to be a very popular model, is there anything specifically wrong with them? Speaking in terms of it being a challenge for a beginner to ride, how would it compare to a Gas gas 300?

I have heard mention of some of the Gas Gas 300 having a switch that reduces the power output. Does that switch work in any tangible way to make it easier to ride? Does the Beta 290 have a similar feature?

Thanks, Pat

I have an 09 250 Beta, the 09 frames were known for cracking but most would have be upgraded by now, if the fuel filler is in the centre of the frame it has been changed if it is on an angle to the left it has not, should not be an issue if it cracks as the frame should still be covered by warranty but worth a check with the local distributor.

They do have a mapping switch but I tend to leave the 250 on number 2 the racing setting, it may be different on the 290,

I have changed the suspension springs as I am a big guy but other than than the bike is standard with good power and handling and I am very happy with it,

Steve, 

Edited by vonhazza

Otherwise they are pretty well fault free but look out for stripped threads where fasteners go into alloy. Bottom end power is fairly soft but builds rapidly at higher revs.

This ^

I've got a 125 EVO and the stripping of threads has been a pain in the a*** but nothing that cannot be fixed. The power for me as beginner is bang on and the 125 really makes you work for it. I've also had a 5 minute go on a Sherco 250 and a Gasgas TXT 300, really good strong power and allows you to really focus on clutch work rather than trying to keep the engine in a sweet spot. Too much power for me at the moment though! 

I went for a bike that l just liked the look of, and ended up with Montesa 349, all l can say that the power is no way a problem,  at the moment it's totally pilot error that's to blame.

If anything the weight of the bike is an issue, but once l get trials fit, this should not be a problem either.

Looking forward to my third trial, l really feel like a novice, as all my riding was done 35 years ago, mainly trail riding, but when will l do my next trial? As l  have a month or more of family stuff to attend to.

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while! I got discouraged posting after a couple years because I ran through all the questions trying to choose a bike when the reality was; "There just aren't any bikes for sale around here". Finally I found one that I hope is a good starting point, hooked my trailer up to my Honda Civic, texted a vacation day into work, packed a couple peanut butter sandwiches and a couple energy drinks and struck out on a 688 kilometer run to Quebec where I picked up a 2006 GasGas TXT250 pro. The bike is still on it's first tank of gas after a fresh rebuild this spring at the dealer and the price was... well every cent I had so I took the plunge.

Now it all makes sense. All the advice not to get too big a bike to start with - despite my stung ego that I ride a 900 Ninja on the street, have owned about 30 bikes, qualified as an inst... bla bla and so on. This is a different breed of cat. I took a short ride when I got there, my first on a modern trials bike, and felt as out of place as Fred Flintstone in an episode of Star Wars. The throttle felt like an on off switch, the front brake truly wanted to kill me and there was nothing between my knees to hang on to. I tied it to the trailer, set the GPS for East, hit the road and unwrapped my last peanut butter sandwich.

I only picked it up 3 days ago so have only been on it 3 times. It is the thing most unlike any other thing on wheels I have ever tried to ride.

I do take advice, and I do listen to the answer to every question I ask - but there is that little "know's better" voice in your head like that stupid tune you hate but it plays - stuck in your head all day anyway.

To be honest, after my less than inspiring test ride, I drove all 688 kilometers home considering that the bike would probably soon end up back in the classified adds. There was even an element of actually feeling compelled to complete the deal because I had gone so far. But my hours off the bike have dominated my thoughts analyzing the minutes I spent on it: Why did I lunge onto the bars if I even looked at the front brake - it was because didn't know how to ride a bike with no seat or tank to grip with my knees. Why do I feel like a terminal wheelie is eminent at 1/4 throttle in 3rd ? - because I have no core strength in my 58 year old couch potato anatomy.

I did not expect to encounter something that would "Reset" my total experience clock. You expect this feeling when you are 20 but eventually exhaust typical scenarios that provide it as you check off fresh locally available experiences.

So far, to me; approaching this bike demands that I put aside everything I ever thought I knew about riding motorcycles. With this comes a bit of a refreshing side effect, aside with those things I relied on in some part are some of the years that it took to accumulate them, blowing some of the dust off of the learning process so to speak. 

The rides are getting more comfortable, less scary but it is all very fresh - like the first time I ever rode all over again and so far I really like the GG, everybody stops to stare at it and I find myself starring at it quite a bit too.

post-20179-0-48067200-1463366341_thumb.jpg

Edited by pat_56
  • Like 3

Hey Pat,

Great looking bike!!!

Guy came down from Moncton with his brand new Repsol Honda for our little event this weekend... I let him know you got a bike and will be looking for some riding opportunities. You will find riding with others will be a big help in sorting things out. Looks like 3 or 4 new bikes have been bought locally so hoping to have a good beginner class at events this year.

Cheers,

Michael   

Great report pat, get the basics sorted and you'll be well away.

Practise figure of 8 turns, letting the bike lean on the inside leg and counter balancing by weighting the outside peg. Great for throttle control and body positioning.

Be gentle on the gear lever and gear box, it won't stand being heavy footed like the ninja.

I'm not even heavy on the Ninja but yes, I sense the 250 is a precision tool - not at all buss like as is my old Honda XL200.

Yes Nigel I believe it is the Delloorto carb.

I think the previous owner replaced the sprockets but not the chain. I recall when I re-chained our little TY175 I was advised not to use an "O" ring chain so exchanged the one I had picked up. Is it also advisable to use a Non - "O" ring chain on the Gasser as well? What size does it take.