How Much Power?

dadof2

The Vertigo is expected to give about 30 HP,

300s from Beta, Sherco and Gasgas are reckoned to give in region of 25 / 27 HP.

These sort of power outputs may be what a few top riders need for firing the bike up big steps and very steep slopes on dry grippy terrain, but is is needed or even desirable for 99% of riders?

Tractors are often talked about by their bhp? something I've never quite understood as bhp is irrelevant as such for the end use of the vehicle/tool, torque output is a much better way to describe a tractors engine/output as torque is the important measure in that case. BHP is an irrelevant measure of anything really on its own, torque and revs need to be considered as a measurement, along with how the power is delivered as already mentioned.

I remember a well tuned Suzuki 250 2 stroke we had years ago that had one of the highest bhp readings in the country but was lapping slower than lower output bikes purely down to the fact bhp was increased in the engine at the expense of torque which meant delivery of that power was near impossible. We detuned the motor from 74bhp to 68 gaining much more torque and the lap times tumbled, I have never tried to find out what power a trials bike is putting out as even for the top lads I expect it is irrelevant on its own.

Edited by the addict
  • Like 1

Tractors are often talked about by their bhp? something I've never quite understood as bhp is irrelevant as such for the end use of the vehicle/tool, torque output is a much better way to describe a tractors engine/output as torque is the important measure in that case. BHP is an irrelevant measure of anything really on its own, torque and revs need to be considered as a measurement, along with how the power is delivered as already mentioned.

I remember a well tuned Suzuki 250 2 stroke we had years ago that had one of the highest bhp readings in the country but was lapping slower than lower output bikes purely down to the fact bhp was increased in the engine at the expense of torque which meant delivery of that power was near impossible. We detuned the motor from 74bhp to 68 gaining much more torque and the lap times tumbled, I have never tried to find out what power a trials bike is putting out as even for the top lads I expect it is irrelevant on its own.

I agree that in most cases horsepower is irrelevant,esp with trials bikes.But using tractors is not a good example.Implement manufacturers always give a horsepower requirement for farmers to choose machine sizes.This is because they are usually driven at a known PTO speed and its easy for them to calculate the rate of work required to drive the machine which is what horsepower is - whatever unit it is in DIN,PS etc.

Back on topic most modern 125's have enough "Go" to do what 98% of riders need,soft reliable power is of more use to the vast bulk of riders.

• Like 1

People like horsepower so it's a great sales feature

However, I'm not sure I have ever used full throttle in a section ............

So I'm not sure if double the power would help me ride obstacles in 2nd gear better

• Like 1

I love my gg200 but am going to borrow a Beta200 this summer and that might be all it takes to switch. I have always preferred lower powered bikes they may take a bit more skill but isn't that what the sport is about... they also tend to be easier to start :).

Edited by michael_t

I love my gg200 but am going to borrow a Beta200 this summer and that might be all it takes to switch. I have always preferred lower powered bikes they may take a bit more skill but isn't that what the sport is about... they also tend to be easier to start :).

In your case the Beta 200 makes better power than your 200 gasser. Then again my favorite 16 year old ( My God sons little brother) showed up Sunday with a 2015 Beta 200. Nice little bike. And he placed better than ever!