How Much Power?

dadof2

Then I wonder am I using this as an excuse for the thing being hard to ride when it may be more due to my; age, lack of fitness, length of time away from it????

A 300 2T is a handful for anyone in my honest opinion. Those 300's are starting to catch up on the power of 250cc 4 stroke race bikes which are 40 kg heavier. I opted for a 125cc bike after I felt the power of a an 07' GG 270cc which was far too much for me being a beginner, but I think a 200-250 would be the sweet spot for those with previous bike experience. I've heard a lot of people recommend a slow throttle for the 300's to tame them down a bit. I guess it depends on what type of riding you are doing, the 300's would definately excel in areas where that low end pull is critical (big zaps, splatters, climbs).

Edited by jml

O.K the vertigo is still a prototype bike. It will be tested by world level riders on world level sections so 30bhp is not a problem, They are showing what they can do and how capable the bike will be.

The production bikes will probably be offered in 125, 250 and 300 in different states of tune so no need to all get your knickers in a twist about it just yet!!

When they get to 35bhp give me a shout and I'll put my name on the waiting list LOL!

I believe I will be having the opportunity to try the Pro, the 250 rev 3 is over 1000 kilometers away at a dealer that will ship very reasonably, the rev 3 also has fresh tires, chain and sprockets. There may also be an opportunity to ride a 200cc rev 3 demonstrator locally. Up to this point, as trials bikes go I have only ridden the old TY 175 I got my son.

Tricks? Err, aa, no. A trick to me would be stopping without putting my feet down for a few seconds and working on some of the positioning advice I get here, you know beginner stuff.... but who knows when I knock a few trees out of my back yard and have a spot where I can practice multiple times each week. Primarily I want to make a spot where my son can ride on his own so he can build up some skill and confidence. We will use and interchange bikes, the TY and what ever I end up getting.

Good nuggets on the suspension and build quality. I want to ride, not fix.

Thank you,

Pat

I believe I will be having the opportunity to try the Pro, the 250 rev 3 is over 1000 kilometers away at a dealer that will ship very reasonably, the rev 3 also has fresh tires, chain and sprockets. There may also be an opportunity to ride a 200cc rev 3 demonstrator locally. Up to this point, as trials bikes go I have only ridden the old TY 175 I got my son.

Tricks? Err, aa, no. A trick to me would be stopping without putting my feet down for a few seconds and working on some of the positioning advice I get here, you know beginner stuff.... but who knows when I knock a few trees out of my back yard and have a spot where I can practice multiple times each week. Primarily I want to make a spot where my son can ride on his own so he can build up some skill and confidence. We will use and interchange bikes, the TY and what ever I end up getting.

Good nuggets on the suspension and build quality. I want to ride, not fix.

Thank you,

Pat

If you can find a nice 200 iit may be just right for you!

Edited by copemech

Unfortunately, despite being a very large land mass (3,855,100 sq mi) there are only a hand full of trials bikes for sale in Canada at any one time. Currently there are less than 2 dozen ride-able bikes in a thousand kilometer radius and none of them are 200's, they are all high priced (many straight out over priced) to figures you have quoted on this site and 80% of them are firmly out of my budget. May just be grabbing another old TY twin shock before it's all said and done, even so I drove 2035 km round trip to get the first one!

Perhaps I am a little out of the ordinary or just a crazy old FOOL? But it always amazes me that people buy a 270/280/290/300 or even a 250 and want to soften the Throttle response and calm it down a lot with slow action Throttle and Flywheel weights. WHY?

I last rode a Trials bike back in 1983. It was a Comerfords Ex-works Bultaco 350. I rode last year (2013) for the first time in 30 years a Honda XR 100 after which my son bought me a 2005 Sherco 290. It took a few rides for me to mostly get used to the soft action hydraulic clutch and front brake compared to the OLD style CABLE items. I absolutely LOVED it. However, he sold it this year (2014) and bought me a 2007/8 Scorpa 250 which was absolutely RUBBISH. So I went and bought myself a 2013 Gas Gas 250 Txt Pro. Although it rode like a new bike, I still missed that extra grunt of the Sherco 290. But I shall keep trying it next year. BTW. I am now 71 years old.

• Like 2

Perhaps I am a little out of the ordinary or just a crazy old FOOL? But it always amazes me that people buy a 270/280/290/300 or even a 250 and want to soften the Throttle response and calm it down a lot with slow action Throttle and Flywheel weights. WHY?

I last rode a Trials bike back in 1983. It was a Comerfords Ex-works Bultaco 350. I rode last year (2013) for the first time in 30 years a Honda XR 100 after which my son bought me a 2005 Sherco 290. It took a few rides for me to mostly get used to the soft action hydraulic clutch and front brake compared to the OLD style CABLE items. I absolutely LOVED it. However, he sold it this year (2014) and bought me a 2007/8 Scorpa 250 which was absolutely RUBBISH. So I went and bought myself a 2013 Gas Gas 250 Txt Pro. Although it rode like a new bike, I still missed that extra grunt of the Sherco 290. But I shall keep trying it next year. BTW. I am now 71 years old.

My new hero!

I was doing a bit of model history searching and in one form or the other there has been a Beta 200 trials as far back as 1987! There have been a couple of gaps and the early ones were air cooled so obviously not the same bike.

Question; What year did the beta 200 begin to stand out as hitting the mark so to speak?

The closest resemblance to current style appears to have appeared in the 1998 Techno.

Edited by pat_56

You have answered your own question here. If you buy a 300 gasgas and put a low compression head and a flywheel weight, you get the best of both worlds - plenty of torque plus plenty of top end.

I rode a standard 250 the other day hopped back on my 300 and for me there is no comparison, I have more options on the 300, I could ride the section in a higher gear than the 250 or stay in first and use the extra torque to find traction, I love it.I really could only use one gear and technique to clean the section on the 250.

The bottom line is the better the rider the better the clutch work in particular, and the more power you can handle. Trials riding these days requires you to use the clutch to find grip as the throttle becomes less important than it was.

Hi Sherpa 325. You missed the point. I personally don't want to lose power. In the past (over 30 years ago) I always wanted MORE. After having ridden OSSA 250 MAR, 2 versions of Yamaha 250 MAR, Montesa 125 and Bultaco 250. It was a revelation when they brought out the Whispering Wonder the Bultaco 325. It could pull an higher gear and keep chugging on whereas the 250s, especially the Yams had to be revved. Nowadays that wouldn't be a problem because of the new Hydraulic clutches which make control that much easier.

I actually asked all those years ago, about fitting a Fast action Throttle like those fitted to Moto X. I was told I would kill myself. The modern bikes are more tractable in any size due to being lighter and easier to handle with the clutch and brakes being so nice. In the OLD days, half the time the brakes wouldn't work after going through any water and the clutch required you to be a contender for World's Strongest man.

• Like 1