Fuel Injection Discussion, 2T And 4T

dadof2

I think D of 2 and Copley have seen the worst of problems with FI and are speaking from experience. Its the folks who don't know any

better who have other views.

On a Trials bike anyway,...FI seems to cure a problem that never existed.

You got that right! To me, when one does that kind of stuff fur a living its not something I really want to jack with in my off time.

A Dellorto is like an AK 47, it just works.

• Like 1

35 years of off road 2 strokes no real problems to speak of. the 06 beta i had bought new, the dealer gave me an oversized float bowl drain plug and fixed the little problem with that bike. never had a leaky carb before. i do live below sea level and rarely go much above it. i did have a dodge Dakota that had a fuel tank issue and sucked the liner into the fuel lines and couldn't get past the injection system. what a mess.

rob

Yeah... hope I never get water or particulate matter in the fuel tank of the Cota. I'm a bit paranoid about it and sight all fuel in a clear metho bottle before it I pour it into tank.

It actually saved me once... condensation from jerry can went into metho bottle and I saw it before pouring into Monty. I put it down to condensation it may have been from fuel station? Either way it didn't see the inside of the tank.... thank the trials Gods.

Mags

35 years of off road 2 strokes no real problems to speak of. the 06 beta i had bought new, the dealer gave me an oversized float bowl drain plug and fixed the little problem with that bike. never had a leaky carb before. i do live below sea level and rarely go much above it. i did have a dodge Dakota that had a fuel tank issue and sucked the liner into the fuel lines and couldn't get past the injection system. what a mess.

rob

Edited by mags

Yeah... hope I never get water or particulate matter in the fuel tank of the Cota. I'm a bit paranoid about it and sight all fuel in a clear metho bottle before it I pour it into tank.

It actually saved me once... condensation from jerry can went into metho bottle and I saw it before pouring into Monty. I put it down to condensation it may have been from fuel station? Either way it didn't see the inside of the tank.... thank the trials Gods.

Mags

Actually those systems, although basic, will likely tolerate a bit of moisture and trash without too much issue. Try all that on some of the stuff I work on due to contamination and neglect on a HPCR turbo diesel will quickly get you a $ 12-15,000 repair bill for a system cleaning and fresh injectors! Man I like that!

I call it "tax on the stupid!"

Has anyone dropped their FI bike in a stream/ river above the handlebars? It was a fairly simple procedure on my bike to drain out the air box, take the bottom off the carb, the spark plug out and pump the water out with the kickstart. I wish it hadn't happened though, lol :closedeyes: . Just curious if the procedure is different on an FI bike.

Speaking to a guy at a local trial who has owned 3 ossas he said he loved the way they rode and the grip they got was phenomenal but leave them alone because when they had mechanical failures they were difficult to fix. Not sure if this is related to the FI system on these bikes or some other failing. It's a shame, ossas look really cool- maybe the 2014/15 bikes have ironed out some of the problems?

Edited by hrmad

Actually those systems, although basic, will likely tolerate a bit of moisture and trash without too much issue. Try all that on some of the stuff I work on due to contamination and neglect on a HPCR turbo diesel will quickly get you a $ 12-15,000 repair bill for a system cleaning and fresh injectors! Man I like that!

I call it "tax on the stupid!"

and the number of turbo diesel Trials bikes currently available is ? I am interested to hear from someone who has drowned an ossa or mont how they got it going again?

Same as you did but no carb to mess with, that's if water gets in the engine at all. Water doesn't enter the fuel system because it stops running before entering the fuel pump. No vent pipes to suck water in either.

Thanks for explaining :)

• Like 1

I have to agree with Cope. Keep it simple.

All your trying to do here is push a stream of fuel into a stream of air. Yes that is a p...ing in the wind reference. You really don't need an air fuel down stream sensor to measure your burn quality on something as simple as a trials bike. When is a trials bike at steady throttle??? That's when stoich needed.

Use a Baro/IAT sensor, TP on your throttle body, injector with a pump, and a cylinder head temp sensor. You have a mass density injection system. Add a super CAP and you have your power supply issue resolve with out a battery. Want to get fancy add an EGT. That is plenty enough to tell you if the engine is burning its fuel and if its burning rich or lean over the long term which is really what we are concerned with anyways.

The delorto is really good about p...ing in the wind for majority of conditions. My Keihin is really really picky but does deliver fuel better when it's satisfied. A speed density system would give me Keihn performance with out being picky. A simple blink indicator diagnosis system is all that would be needed. Majority of this is off the shelf simplicity.

--Biff

• Like 2

Are are essentially describing the OSSA system.

Add a small Rechargable batt (AAA in this case) and solves the start issue.

It works very well.

What could they do better?

Have a BTWICE setup for idle adjustment.

Have a cheap cable diagnostics setup, maybe even with a 'bare bones' version for people that don't really understand.

I have setup a couple of them, they are very easy.

There is a 'rich/lean' baseline adjustment you can do also. I've never changed it because the bike runs so well.

Mark

I am off to fettle in my garage this morning one of the jobs is to start all my 3 bikes that will be a Montesa and two BMW GSA's all of which have fuel injection?

Will they start of course they will and run perfect! Will they run any better or as well on carburettors I have no idea!

I leave that technology to Honda and BMW they know what they are doing and I am pretty sure they have made mistakes along the way!!