Legal Requirements, Transporting Bikes To Continent.

b40rt

Looking for hastle free transporting of trials bikes to France, Belgium and Spain. What documentation is required to take a bike to mainland Europe, is getting it back ant different ?

Also, if the trial is all off road, such as Robregordo, and a non registered bike is used, any additional/alternative documents required.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

• Like 2

Following advice may be out of date as "purchase" tax rates on vehicles are presumably more harmonised than they used to be (unlike cigarette duty). A friend who use to race MX on the continent always had to carry proof of ownership / purchase showing that appropriate taxes had been paid. If he did not he could be stuck at border controls for 5 or 6 hours while checks were made.

The CPD is not required in Europe for private or commercial vehicles. In Belgium, Denmark, Finland and Greece, the CPD is used only for special categories of vehicles such as racing cars, ambulances, etc. In Turkey, the CPD is accepted, but a local document may be purchased at the border in the place of a carnet. The CPD is useful in Turkey for buses, radio/TV vehicles and breakdown vehicles

Look up CPD Carnet de passage

• Like 1

b40rt , don't think you need to worry about anything in France , i used to live there for 5 years and came back to the U.K 3 years ago. I raced bikes there with no problems . Make sure you have good health insurance and take a credit card for back up . I found that out the hard way with a 3 rd gear high side , which resulted in a nice heli ride to Poitiers Hospital du militere and intensive care for three weeks.

Sounds ace where your planning to go , Oh yes nearly every thing closes on Sunday so make sure you go the super market on Saturday, and don't speed. The Gendarms will be merceyless.

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1

Hi shyted and all, thanks for the info. Start Release from the ACU should cover

health insurance during the event. Second warning about speeding, so will give ourselves plenty of time.

In France need a fluorescent waistcoat, warning triangle,breathalizer, GB sticker, copy of insurance, v5, anything else ?

Edited by b40rt

JRSunt had a ride back home in a plane after breaking a leg at a Euro round. Make sure you get the correct insurances.

I've never sussed that when you pull in at Dover, car stuffed to the gunnels,they insist on you opening the bonnet & having a cursory look in, wtf is that all about?

• Like 1

When ever i ridden in Spain certainly on the classic scene no one has taken notice whether the bike is road legal or not. However in France to do a lot of the classic trials your bike will need to be at least insured, and usually have lights fitted. There are some exceptions , but each year its getting stricter.

Another note.. whilst trivial and I have never heard of anyone actually being effected by this is.... It you have a bike or such in the van and you are stopped by the Gendames, you maybe asked for proof of ownership. My trials riding chum of many years has mentioned this several times , and when we head off, always reminds me to have the docs at hand. They are also going through a spate of stopping small vans at the moment, the pretence being overweight issues as well as being nosey. I repeat its trivial , but might just catch someone out if you have a nasty barsteward poking around

Lastly watch the speed, its so easy now to get caugh,t they are everywhere, and there is zero leeway...

Bon chance

• Like 1