Knee And/or Shin Pads

johnnyboxer

Anybody got any recommendations?

As the years go by and getting older, I seem to pick up more injuries to my shins etc and this results in some pretty sever bruising/lumps at times

So, I'm looking for some knee/shin protection and not too intrusive

I know protection isn't generally worn by Trials riders, but those of you that do................point me in the right direction

Edited by johnnyboxer

I've been wearing knee pads for both enduro and trials since 1990. There's loads on the market but the pair I wear are from Tackla (a Finnish ice hockey wear company)that I've used all that time. Wouldn't be without them.

• Like 1

I wear sixsixone soft mtb knee pads, they are a tad bulky but do a good job protecting my knees and shins. They've saved me some pain and bruising, particularly from the footrests several times. Once you get used to them they are pretty non intrusive. I was wearing some cheap thor slip on elbow pads, but they started to irritate me so I don't bother now.

• Like 1

Cheap and cheerful - umbro football shinpads pushed up to just below the knee. Great for the top of the boot to the knee - saved my shins lots of times, unfortunately no good for knees tho !

Cheers

John

I use mountain bike knee/shin pads under my trousers. They are brilliant. I'm a 56 years old and have been a type 1 diabetic for over 40 years. I have scars on my shins I got when I was 15 (Greeves Anglian!). So look after my shins and knees.

I got them from e bay. They are handed and are a bit like pulling on a pair of stockings! Because the knee pad and shin pad are attached to the same bit of lycra, they don't move. They fit easily under my trials boots and give good protection.

The label says "SIXSIXONE RHYTHM KNEE"

Hope this helps.

For me knee guards are a must.

I recently got some Jitsie Dynamic knee protectors and find very light, flexible and comfy. apparently they're suppose to stiffen when impacted.

The ones I've used for Enduro are too bulky for trials.

• Like 1

Fox Racing Launch Downhill/Freeride Knee/Shin Guards

These are great, after they are broken in-very comfortable. I wear mine tucked into my boots and under my pants and I don't even know they are there. The best ones so far that I've used. Here's a tip...If you get these adjust the two top straps where you want them and don't undo them after you ride-leave em strapped. Just undo the ankle strap and slide em off and on. If you keep redoing the upper straps you'll lose your mind.

• Like 1

I have always worn MX pants (I remove all the decals and rubber etc) and knee pads with shin guards. All it takes in one stupid crash. Yesterday a friend crashed his new Repsol on the first section and put the kick starter thru his upper thigh. Just a freak accident.

I have always worn MX pants (I remove all the decals and rubber etc) and knee pads with shin guards. All it takes in one stupid crash. Yesterday a friend crashed his new Repsol on the first section and put the kick starter thru his upper thigh. Just a freak accident.

Some things just cannot be prepared for, but I have run the smaller YOUTH knee/shin guards for years that tuck into top of my boots and have a hard cover for patella which has saved me a few kneecaps on the rocks!