New Honda 260 4 R T For 2016

johnnyboxer

I have only ridden a 4Rt on a limited number of sections and on those did not find the high tickover to be a problem. Its just that if I were to ride a 4T I would prefer it to have a lower tickover say 800 to 1200 RPM. If you adjust a 4RT down to this it can be prone to unexpected stalling. Some think this is due to the capacitor EFI, my guess is valve overlap and flywheel weight are also factors.

Its not that there is anything "wrong" with a high tickover, especially if you have never known anything different. Its just a preference thing.

Edited by dadof2

I have only ridden a 4Rt on a limited number of sections and on those did not find the high tickover to be a problem. Its just that if I were to ride a 4T I would prefer it to have a lower tickover say 800 to 1200 RPM. If you adjust a 4RT down to this it can be prone to unexpected stalling. Some think this is due to the capacitor EFI, my guess is valve overlap and flywheel weight are also factors.

Its not that there is anything "wrong" with a high tickover, especially if you have never known anything different. Its just a preference thing.

It wont be an issue if you buy one, you will adapt to it very quickly and I never notice it being high apart from when its warming up. I've had many 2 strokes over the years, the swap to a 4rt was easy and what I needed at the time although learning a different way of grip took a little while but soon sorted.

Edited by the addict

learning a different way of grip took a little while but soon sorted.

Addict, I've read this from you & from others. Could you have a go at describing the different technique compared to a two stroke?

I mentioned the high tickover because on the occasions I've ridden a 4RT I've found it difficult to trickle along smoothly on no/low throttle. I'd be happy to concede my technique being at fault as I've not had extensive experience on a 4RT. Nonetheless I am attracted to them as I fancy doing some more road based trials like the Normandale series.

Edited by neils on wheels
  • Like 1

Most of us drop the gearing from 10/41 to 9/41 to slow things down, I'm not sure if most 4rt riders load the motor when riding with the back brake/clutch so I'll see if I'm doing this on auto pilot next weekend. The grip thing? I was bloody hopeless for a few weeks, most would have got it sold within a fortnight I'd expect but I kept at it. I've no idea to be honest, it just clicked eventually and many have no problems transitioning straightaway, they are great bikes for Nationals and ultra reliable as well as great fun to ride.

For those that think an 1800 rpm tick over is no big deal. Take any other bike you have (90% of you have `other bikes`) and set that idle up. Try to ride it like usual.

Don't you think the gearing in the gearbox would be different? The 4RT also revs much higher on full throttle than a two stroke.

Edit: I've looked it up and although the gear ratio in the gear box is about the same, the primary drive ratio on the 4RT is shorter so your comparison is not correct
Edited by guys
  • Like 1