New Honda 260 4 R T For 2016

johnnyboxer

Rumour has it, a new competition version will be released this year. So maybe a big bore motor with HRC kit. We'll find out pretty soon, maybe it will be enough to tempt McBou to stay ;0).

• Like 3

What everyone hopes for is a new version more capable than the last

What the sport really needs is a new version less capable and cheaper than the last

A somewhat tricky set of circumstances to resolve?

What the sport really needs is a new version less capable and cheaper than the last

How does the sport need a bike less capable?

• Like 1

"need" when used in the way I have has a particular meaning in English that probably does not translate correctly or well to Belgian.

In this instance It means that in the opinion of the writer, the sport overall would benefit by a less capable bike in that it should cost less and the sections would not be as challenging or potentially dangerous.

The 2 bikes pictured were regarded as too inferior (and in the case of the Yam rather overpriced) for what they were. They were, or were perceived to be too far off competitive to be good sellers.

Were someone to produce a bike in the region of 250 to 280cc, either 2T or 4T, fit it with steel none adjustable forks, single pot callipers, use standard fasteners etc. but still 3 usable section gears and looking like a proper trials bike. This should be able to be priced at well under £4k. Put some decent riders on them at BTC or BTC experts class to show how near, performance wise the £6k bikes they were and it could be a good seller.

There are a lot of people who have a mental block at throwing near £6k bikes at rocks, they are much more prepared to do it at £3.5k.

Need to keep parts prices down as well.

Takumi Narita goes a long way to prove what I originally wrote. Its the perception of these "none top spec" bikes that is the issue not generally their actual performance, that is why I subsequently posted that they need to be a more generally acceptable cc and get some decent riders on them regularly in championships.

I have ridden a TL 125 (bored to 150) and although it lacked a bit of power it was not far off 250 Bultaco performance regarding marks lost at club / centre level.

Never ridden a Radonne so can't comment

Ridden a 175 Yam (Scorpa?) 4T and did not like it, felt I could only use bottom gear and tended to catch my leg on rear mudguard when dismounting. Certainly not near 40 years better than the TL.

I don't think these economy models are available in all markets, nor are they sufficiently less cost.

Edited by dadof2

Dont be fooled into thinking Narita's baby SYF was a standard prooduction model. That will be rather expensive and tricked up. Yamaha equipped Crosser with one to good effect a few years ago. Looked production but certainly wasn't a production model inside. PR stunt.

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 1

Perhaps worth pointing out that the manufacturers of both of the four stroke models above had or have financial problems. It works on paper but it seems to never work in terms of units sold, so the development cost just adds to their problems.

Dont be fooled into thinking Narita's baby SYF was a standard prooduction model. That will be rather expensive and tricked up. Yamaha equipped Crosser with one to good effect a few years ago. Looked production but certainly wasn't a production model inside. PR stunt.

I think the Radonne is pretty standard but it may be near 200cc, not 125.

Its a fair bet the SYF is a 225cc with a high compression piston and larger valves and the suspension will have been re sprung and re valved but those are not expensive if incorporated in original production.

Actual or perceived lack of power from these small engines is why, in my earlier post these lower cost bikes needed to be 250 to 280cc + 3 section gears to make them attractive.

A friend of mine has a 250 4T kawasaki trail bike. Loads of soft controllable power and clean carburation (CV like the Beta 4Ts). In its present configuration (big sump, starter motor etc) the engine is too big and heavy for trials but the power characteristics are spot on.

Back to the Mont 4RT, lets hope it is more than a sticker job, but not a big bore kit as standard.