Txt 270 Or 280?

sean65

Well I have bitten the bullet and bought it. Here's a couple of pictures. Now I better try and work out how to change the gearbox oil. Lol. Always change fluids on new vehicles I reckon.

post-21440-0-47719000-1436635267_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-25275200-1436635277_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-01668600-1436635295_thumb.jpg

Ok the pictures. The allen bolt  to fill. Is it s view hole below. Drain. Not sure!

I have seen some people say ATF. Are you saying mineral oil ( not synthetic)? A pity I can't find any sort of workshop manual.

post-21440-0-51676600-1436807651_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-61780400-1436807663_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-07784600-1436807675_thumb.jpg

See how there is a hole in the bashplate inboard of the gearlever, chances are that is for access to the drain bolt which looks like it would be a grubscrew to keep it flush with the cases

The last picture shows the drain :) From underneath the bashplate.

There is a lot of information, you need to search a bit for it though. But just ask, thats why we are here :)

5w30 is recommended, I dont have bad results with 10w40 (which I also use in my other non-trial bikes). For the Pro's I always use putoline light gearbox oil 75w.

Edited by crazybond700

Thanks chaps. I am trying to find a manual for my bike so I can have a read for basic stuff. So the 5/30 mineral oil seems to be recommended, although as with many things there seems an array of opinions.

Started it for the first time since I had it last night, once I found the choke. Sweet engine!! Revs really nicely. I might have to ride around my partners garden and up and down her landscaping. Lol

Thanks chaps. I had found them already. The clutch does drag so I think I will be changing the gearbox oil at the weekend. I will go for the 5w/30 as recommended. Just to confirm. Non synthetic?

Sean, Have at the present time a 2001 TXT 280  ( 10 years) same engine as yours,great reliability,

was a little to quick for me , went to a 10 tooth sprocket which made it better.

I hope your oil is not milky (coolant) which is not conducive to good clutch operation.

Does the bike jump when cold and gears are engaged?

Larry

To be honest I have not had much chance to try it out since I got it last week. I will change the oil first and adjust the clutch lever and see how that goes before worrying unduly.

Just to confirm.. I do not use synthetic as this swells the clutch plates?