Hydraulics, Do We Need Them?

dadof2

You can't why should others ?

You will have known that this topic would produce exactly this sort of response when you started it.

Once again you brought lots of irrelevant information into the topic. My mtb has cable discs, even though the mtb is 55kg lighter they still aren't as good as what's on my gas gas.

I love the fact the clutch biting point doesn't change when i turn the bars and i never have to oil the cable.

My wifes car has a cable clutch but then again she never splats a six foot step

• Like 3

And i think most of us probably have doubts about your never ending list of friends and their mechanical issues which always seem to back up your view on a topic ?

It was with some hesitation that I mentioned the Scottish holiday incident because I suspected a response along the lines of your comment. Similar issues are starting to arise in professional cycle tours where the non team specific back up cars only carry spare wheels for rim brakes. This means the riders who are experimenting with hydraulic disc brakes are "up the creek" when they have a puncture because they have to wait for their personal support vehicle which can be a long time coming.

The reasons I can quote friends experiences to back up my comments is because my opinions and what I post is often based on what I hear from my biking colleagues. I have not questioned for example why wheels are round because none of my friends have found having round wheels to be a problem, unlike GG gearboxes and hydraulic brakes.

I hope some readers can appreciate the following reasoning. The USA has some excellent fighter / multirole aircraft in the F15 and F22 yet they still felt it necessary to produce a budget aircraft, the F16. The F16 although cheaper and simpler than the other 2 provides excellent service and is a very good seller. I.E. you do not have to have the latest / most expensive technology to have satisfactory performance that attracts buyers.

• Like 1

Now youve got my goat.

I know more about pro cycling than you ever will and the occasions that riders are ever caught out by not having a disc wheel is miniscule and an absolutely know risk/situation.

This is just another case of daddilyoff chosing selected facts to suit his opinions based on selected information.

Without insulting you clearly other forums may suit you better ~ just a suggestion.

• Like 1

It was with some hesitation that I mentioned the Scottish holiday incident because I suspected a response along the lines of your comment. Similar issues are starting to arise in professional cycle tours where the non team specific back up cars only carry spare wheels for rim brakes. This means the riders who are experimenting with hydraulic disc brakes are "up the creek" when they have a puncture because they have to wait for their personal support vehicle which can be a long time coming.

I ve heard that most pro teams will be hydraulic discs by next year.

• Like 1

If a cable control brake and clutch system was as good as hydraulic and less than half the price then surely trials manufacturers would use them.

Simple economics.

Not necessarily so, if you look at one of my earlier posts I wrote that there is no advantage to manufacturers in producing low cost reliable cable systems. More profit to be made out of selling less reliable more expensive systems.

Car headlights is another example of where fashion and newer technology is greatly increasing costs for a minuscule if any gain in real life performance. A basic 6 or 7 inch light unit with a H4 bulb could be had for about £27 and give excellent lighting especially if 4 were fitted. A few weeks ago I heard £1250 being quoted for one of these new type fancy shaped headlight units.