250 Vs 300 For A Noob?

doc_d

I rode dirt bikes as a teen, road bikes in my 30s.  Now I'm in my mid 40s and have been racing road bicycles and mountain bikes for 10 years.  I've always been fond of trials (motorcycle and bicycle) and recently found out there are some active clubs here in Michigan.  So I'm thinking about giving it a shot.  I've been keeping my eye out for used bikes for a few months now.  It's winter here so I haven't had the chance to get out and talk to the locals.  I did chat with one on the phone and he gave me the impression that 250s are great for everyone and 300s are a "handful".  I'm just looking for a second opinion.  Unlike Europe, trials bikes are a little harder to come by here.  There is a nice 2015 Beta 300 available for a good price.  I don't mind passing on it if that gentleman's advice is correct that it would be too much for me, but I want to be sure before because several months can go by before another used trials bikes pops up locally.

Thanks!
Doc

Buy it I have ridden a bike like that it is wonderful.a little soft or flat on the bottom but that is good for traction. Very easy to ride. as far as being a handful, the bike will only do what you make it do. I think the latest 300s are as easy to ride as a 250 just more if you need it.

It may depend on your throttle control.  I have a 2014 Beta 300 and there is nothing abrupt about the power.  It is powerful but very smooth in response so not hard to manage.  Many people feel that 300s are actually easier to ride.  But if you take big stabs at the throttle, a smaller engine may be better.

Although I would generally advise a 250 or 200 is the best size of bike to start on I would not necessarily let it be the overruling factor particularly when buying secondhand. If a good 300 Beta (which does have softish bottom end power for a 300) were available I would be temped to buy it, fit a slow action throttle and extra base gaskets.

• Like 1

You can always rein in a 300 fairly easily, yet still have the amazing torque they produce.

A slower action throttle and perhaps gear it down a tooth on the gearbox sprocket will help tie it to the floor and overcome the urgency some 300's tend to offer.

In the UK Betas are fitted with heavier flywheels (pre 2015 this was just a weight bolted to the face) which tend to calm down their mid throttle punch, but the same effects can be reproduced with the above cheaply enough.

Then once you're ready for the full fat 300, it's just a matter of swapping a few bits back!

• Like 1

Personally I don't think it makes much difference while you're in control, but when you screw up that extra throttle response really doesn't help.

I recently spent 3 hours on a 125 and for what I can ride it was easily good enough. 

• Like 1

I wouldnt recommend a 300 for a newbie - I ride not bad  and a have a bought a  300 Scorpa 2015 for this year  and will maybe go to a 250 next year.

I think a newbie would find it pretty tiring on 300 (certainly a scorpa 2015) and would learn quicker on a 200/250.

• Like 1

Id advise a 250.

300's are great news for the importers as rear mudguards are £100 a go and they use words like Novice to Expert in the spec sheets for them!!

It must be a conspiracy to make more in plastics than they do in bikes.

:rotfl:

I think sometimes the 300 gets a bit overrated on power. It has more, but its not like if you slighty use the throttle you will get shot away. It might even be a little bit more manageable power compared to a 280 e.g.

But I think a 250 is more than good enough, so that will do perfectly fine.

Important skills to learn are throttle and mainly clutch control so just practise that a lot.

Edited by crazybond700
  • Like 1

I think sometimes the 300 gets a bit overrated on power. It has more, but its not like if you slighty use the throttle you will get shot away. It might even be a little bit more manageable power compared to a 280 e.g.

But I think a 250 is more than good enough, so that will do perfectly fine.

Important skills to learn are throttle and mainly clutch control so just practise that a lot.

And also (rear) brake control to keep the bike under control   ;)