Gaerne Balanced Oil

ftp

I have a pair of Gaerne Balanced oil - after approx 3 months of riding once or twice a weeks the soles are holed !!

My footpegs are in decent nick.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I emailed Gaernes website and got no response,What should I get next ? certainly wont be Balanced oils, which is a shame cos they are lovely.

I take the boots to a shoemaker and ask him if he can not stick (glue and stich) new soles underneath.

Haven't done this to my trials boots yet, but did it to my climbing boots which had issues 'cause of once intense use of ice crampons.

Edited by pschrauber

Mine are a couple of years old now and for the first year remained waterproof,,but even after two years hard work,(Rigid AJS + Fat git...) the soles are almost like new.There must be something wrong.

Kit like this I always try to buy from somewhere you can try them on,and then go back if there is a problem.

Not sure what you have in France but in the US I see at least one place has a "Gaerne Replacement Sole" and the Forma Boulder trials boot sole as well.  Maybe you can keep the Gaerne and a shoe shop could stitch a pair of the Forma sols to the Gaerne upper?   

Best of luck.

I have a pair of Gaerne Balanced oil - after approx 3 months of riding once or twice a weeks the soles are holed !!

My footpegs are in decent nick.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I emailed Gaernes website and got no response,What should I get next ? certainly wont be Balanced oils, which is a shame cos they are lovely.

I don't want to be disrespectful but how much do you weigh? 
A guy in our club, who weighs around 100 kg, wears a pair of Alpinestars out, in about a year.

And what kind of foot pegs do you have? The aluminium ones with grub screws (S3 Hard Rock for instance) like to nibble away at the boot sole.

I also would get some new soles stitched on, if Gearne doesn't want to solve the problem.

It's going to cost about half the price of new boots to buy and attach a replacement sole, which will then be attached to 3 month old boots and may not be attached as well as a factory sole is.

I'd rather spend the money on a legal letter to Gaerne mentioning whatever the French equivalent to the Sale of Goods Act (product should be suitable for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time basically). You'll probably end up with free replacements. 

Find out where their HQ is in France and write to them yourself in the first place. If you don't get any joy get a solicitor to write to them.

• Like 1

I agree with the last post, let's see what your footrests look like and the damage to the boot before you get carried away chasing the manufacturer.

I have worn Gaerne boots for years and never worn through a sole, the stitching gives up first, but I am only using standard type rests none of this sharp titanium or screwed in pins on my bike !

The pegs were on my old bike that has gone px to the same shop I bought the boots from - it had s3 hardrock pegs on - no fancy studs and pretty worn flat at that.

There are pics of boots attached.

Cheerspost-22007-0-41569000-1452797651_thumb.jpgpost-22007-0-22487100-1452797683_thumb.jpgpost-22007-0-78478900-1452797724_thumb.jpg

Damn that looks bad.

The weight shouldn't be a problem.

Although the material of the foot pegs looks rather thin, so it wit cut easier through a sole, one would think more people would have this problem because I think it's a common used type of footpeg. 

So as said, try to contact Gaerne first.

That looks like your leaning back a lot and cutting into the boot from one side (rear side) of the pegs?

If so that can be a result of not giving yourself enough room in the cockpit by having the handlebars to far back. Or having the rear brake adjusted to high.

Just thinking out loud...

My bars are if anything too far forward if anything apparently - but I agree looks like somethings wrong.

I emailed Gaerne and got no response - I will try the shop where I bought them - they are a great outfit dherbymoto.com

I have the same boots and got the same problem within a few months. I have s3 foot pegs and reckon they are the likely culprit.

Rather than spending money on replacement soles try - shoe goo  its a resin that you can fill the holes with and it lasts well. A large tube cost me around £15,  I've only had to re fill the holes a few times over the last twelve months and still have half the tube left. Its worth a try and a cheaper alternative than having the boots repaired professionally.

I've also used it around the front where the stitching has failed and it works well there also.

For the best results just make sure the boots are clean and dry, apply the goo and let it set over 72hours

Hope this helps