Vee Rubber

pedronicman

have just got a vee rubber radial 400 x 18,will fit it next week at see how it performs on 4th dec club trial.it is an exact copy of a michelin x11,apart from the tread pattern on top of the knobs.the compound seems ok and is only very slightly harder than the x11 but hardly any,the knobs twist easy but the x11 is still a little bit easier to turn but it could be the cold weather. not bad for

• 2 weeks later...

have now put the tyre on and ridden with it today to set out

our club trial.the ground was a mix of clay/peat but very very wet!.

first impressions are very good,i had been using an irc for the last few months which is now very worn.the vee rubber certainly is not crap at all!

it grips ok in these conditions, probably as good as an x11 or irc but will now for sure tommorrow when i ride the trial(i ride in the expert class).the only real diifference i have noticed is that the side walls seem very strong and the tyre doesn't look that flat at around 3psi,but this could change after a good ride on it.we shall see after tommorrow. :hl:

rode the trial today with the new vee.conditions were not as wet as yesterday

but it was still very greasy.first thing - this tyre grips very very well in the mud,if i had fitted an irc or michelin i would not have noticed any difference at all.so i give it a big thumbs up!.not sure what it would be like on rock,i think maybe the compound would be slightly too hard but not much.for the average rider/club rider this tyre would be ideal.try one and see what you think,a very good buy if the pockets aren't that full at

• 5 years later...

This post seems to contradict what a lot of people say (and told me) about the Vee Rubber tyres.

I would like to replace my tyres at the moment but the saving of a few quid would be very handy at the moment :thumbup:

Whats other peoples experience with Vee Rubber tyres?

I have ridden them and sold them. I think they are a great budjet tire. Probably work as well as anythin in the mud, yet grip on rocks seems lacking when slick.

The Dunlop still seems the best all rounder to me for the dosh, but for many, the Vee will work! :thumbup:

2nd class tyre....sidewalls are far too rigid, not very pliant at all..wait until the colder weather comes.

You get what you pay for when you choose tyres.

I have one fitted at the moment and can't wait to wear it down so I have an excuse to put a Michelin back on :icon_salut:

Put IRCs front and rear about 4 weeks ago and they're great.

I wasn't sure I would notice the difference as I'm pretty pants really.

My problem with the Vees is that I seemed to find grip one minute and then none the next in the same circumstances...not very good for your confindence as you make you move to throw the bike up and over something and your bike wheelspins and stays where it was and you having already committed yourself to the obstacle in question go hurtling over the bars with unstoppable momentum. Yes a lot to do with rider input but trust me the IRCs are much better. I suppose I didn't really trust the vees to do what I asked of them. I now have the added bonus of a set of emergency spares as the old V's have plenty tread left.

BTW I got the missus to buy mine for my birthday. :thumbup:

I've recently put IRC's on the back of my Ariel and one of my Yams - they are very soft and grip beautifully,but the only downside is that a recent Golden valley trial at Breakhart quarry really took the edge off.I could have ridden that trial on a road tyre with 30 psi,seemed a terrible waste of a tyre with sharp edges.

But tomorrow at Catswood I know damn well I'll need all the grip it can find...

Basically i would say fit what you like but and this is the nub for me anyway. What is most important to you loosing probably 40 more marks per trial or saving a few quid? I run an IRC rear and a Michelin front because i have tried other combinations and that is the combination that i feel gives ME the best chance of a good placing in the next trial which to me is the ONLY consideration. :popcorn:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

but the only downside is that a recent Golden valley trial at Breakhart quarry really took the edge off.I could have ridden that trial on a road tyre with 30 psi,seemed a terrible waste of a tyre with sharp edges.

Doesn't matter, they keep on gripping for long after the edge has gone. They keep gripping when they look fit for only the skip.

Basically i would say fit what you like but and this is the nub for me anyway. What is most important to you loosing probably 40 more marks per trial or saving a few quid? I run an IRC rear and a Michelin front because i have tried other combinations and that is the combination that i feel gives ME the best chance of a good placing in the next trial which to me is the ONLY consideration. :popcorn:

Have you actually tried one though?