Snapped handlebar bolt

dan williams

Saw a rider at our last event with a sheared off handlebar mount bolt. He managed to wrestle it to a stop (on a nasty downhill) without crashing. 

I’m not saying it’s a fault and not a freak occurrence but just putting it out for information as the consequences can be serious. 

So one more thing to check from time to time.

Clamp bolts aside, in my experience it is worth replacing what could be old original bars on twinshock bikes and the like. The original alloy bars on my Cota 247 snapped in an ordinary riding situation when they were only 36 years old, just goes to show they weren't made to last after all.

• Like 1

Tim Thorp on that downhill to section Novice 3. He was minding for Robbie. How he didn't crash I'll never know. I asked if he was alright since he was stopped on the side and he rotated his bars on the remaining bolt to show me where it had sheared off. Scary as ****.

I just got a private message from somebody stating their son's bike snapped two and that it was discussed with the US importer Jim Snell who can recommend better studs. This is very serious as it's a major safety issue and really demands a recall/replacement of these studs if not a redesign of the top triple clamp. As the importer is now aware of the issue he opens himself to negligence lawsuits if he doesn't address this. Of course this is also a risk for TRS.

Rider must accept some responsibility here then as if it had been loose for some time surely something would have been noticed or felt and should have been checked. I once had a loose clamp bolt and could feel something was not right so I went through all th3 bolts until I found the loose one