Jump to content

trapezeartist

Garage alarm

Recommended Posts

Any recommendations for a garage alarm? I've been looking at various ones; they're not expensive but I have an issue with the delay time before they go off. Some have 15 seconds, which seems enough to allow the scrote to smash to siren before it goes off. Others only have 4 seconds, which with my sticky up-and-over door may not give me quite long enough to cancel it before I get hit by the noise. I would have thought somewhere halfway between would be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If you need battery powered try bt alarms. Radio not infra red remote so you can turn off before opening the door, decent battery life, and you can get additional sounders and remotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Alarms. All the noise does is annoy the neighbors and a monitoring service let`s you know you have been robbed. Spend your money and time on prevention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I bought a yale wireless, came with usual keypad but i bought a remote for it. If you set it via the remote then there is NO delay if it is activated but obviously you can unset it via remote so sticky garage door is no issue.

Garage locks that fasten to inside of door then turn a bolt into the wall together with the visible ones which bolt to floor with shielded padlock help. It may just slow someone down but hopefully they will pick a garage without any on. A rechargeable angle grinder will get past anything but you can only try to make it secure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
On 16/02/2018 at 10:47 PM, totty79 said:

If you need battery powered try bt alarms. Radio not infra red remote so you can turn off before opening the door, decent battery life, and you can get additional sounders and remotes.

I've just looked at the BT on a supplier website. It doesn't specifically say the remote operates by radio. It does claim it has a 50m range, but through a metal door? It's a shame I can't find one with the receiver for the remote separate from the main unit, so it could be mounted in a discrete position outside.

20 hours ago, lineaway said:

Alarms. All the noise does is annoy the neighbors and a monitoring service let`s you know you have been robbed. Spend your money and time on prevention.

I know how annoying false alarms on burglar alarms are. That's why I'm looking for something that I can be sure I won't set off accidentally myself but will be quick-acting in response to a thief. Then I'll tell the neighbours I have the alarm and they will know that if it goes off it's a genuine break-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I've recently got into home automation and although I've already got an alarm, if I was starting from scratch on security, the home automation route would be the way I'd go. Buy a garage alarm and it's just that - an alarm for the garage. Spend a little more initially and you have the foundation for a load of other uses that's modular and easily expanded.

Start with a hub (I'm using the Samsung Smartthings one) and add to it as you want. Can add all manner of sensors, switches, lights, sirens etc (velcro a vibration sensor onto the bike?) and it's very easy to set up and manage with notifications to your phone if something happens.

Everything apart from the hub (which lives in the house next to your internet router) is battery operated so no dicking about with cables and because it uses Z-Wave and ZigBee wireless comms there's a multitude of compatible third party devices out there at not a huge cost. You can link devices together so, for example, a motion sensor covering the approach to the garage detects motion. That turns on a floodlight, but can also turn on lights in the house to make it look like someone is up and about and turn on the lights inside the garage. Thieving scum don't like light. if they then persist into the garage, detectors there can act like a normal alarm and sound sirens etc. Bonus is you can expand it to other areas like security for the house and heating/lighting/appliance control just by adding the right gadgets (and I like gadgets).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I knew someone years ago who secured a large baulk of timber to swing like a battering ram if someone opened the garage door.  Unfortunately he wasn't quick enough the night he came home late and a bit befuddled from the pub without his house key and did not want to disturb his parents by climbing in a window ..............  There's worse things than a false alarm☺

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

 ..............  There's worse things than a false alarm☺

Which is why I'm not going to connect the door handle to the mains.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I made a few trip mines, using .22 starting pistol blanks. Fishing line attached to stuff that needs moving for access and job's a good'un.

Very, very loud! I know it won't necessarily stop a theft but you could follow the brown trail to find the bike....

You can buy ones that use short shotgun blanks but I was advised that it would be overkill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have a couple of the shotgun ones, but I've resisted the temptation to test fire them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
On 18/02/2018 at 8:18 AM, Andy said:

I've recently got into home automation and although I've already got an alarm, if I was starting from scratch on security, the home automation route would be the way I'd go. Buy a garage alarm and it's just that - an alarm for the garage. Spend a little more initially and you have the foundation for a load of other uses that's modular and easily expanded.

Start with a hub (I'm using the Samsung Smartthings one) and add to it as you want. Can add all manner of sensors, switches, lights, sirens etc (velcro a vibration sensor onto the bike?) and it's very easy to set up and manage with notifications to your phone if something happens.

Everything apart from the hub (which lives in the house next to your internet router) is battery operated so no dicking about with cables and because it uses Z-Wave and ZigBee wireless comms there's a multitude of compatible third party devices out there at not a huge cost. You can link devices together so, for example, a motion sensor covering the approach to the garage detects motion. That turns on a floodlight, but can also turn on lights in the house to make it look like someone is up and about and turn on the lights inside the garage. Thieving scum don't like light. if they then persist into the garage, detectors there can act like a normal alarm and sound sirens etc. Bonus is you can expand it to other areas like security for the house and heating/lighting/appliance control just by adding the right gadgets (and I like gadgets).

Me too. I went down the Devolo (z-wave) route and as well as having the boiler and rads controlled I have also controlled a vent fan in my workshop via a Devolo SmartPlug...........but I agree with Andy you can extend these system to cover all manner of alarms, lighting etc etc and there's no reason this can't be into the garage and onto the bikes.

Downside you need to be a bit geeky if you want get the most out of them, i.e. to get functionality thats not out of the box you need to write 'rules'.

 

Ian. (yes I'm still around!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...