Beta Evo 4t 300 first ride experience

bentiggerwyles

I just purchased a 2012 beta Evo 300 4t.

I have not been riding trials very long and had a jotagas 300 previously. I purchased the beta on its condition and had never ridden a 4t trials bike. Well it was a revelation I did not ride for 2 months or so as had a shoulder injury, but went straight to a trial without ever riding the beta. 

I was like a kid on Christmas unloading when I got to the trial, signed on then off to the 1st section, i normally ride sportsman and going to go clubman next year, it was a 1 route trial set up fairly easy and the weather had been kind.

I had a walk of the 1st section then I was the 1st rider to open the section.

Having no idea on gearing I went for 2nd which was a good choice as a climb out of the section let me rev it out a little, the grip level from the 4t seemed amazing and almost endless in the almost perfect conditions, I cleaned the whole of lap 1 of 4 which is better than I normally do, I noticed that my cooling fan hadn't cut in and the 4t was getting very warm so a quick visit to the pits and I bridged the cooling fan so it ran constantly. I also noticed popping on deceleration so think I will give the mixture screw half a turn before next trial.

Anyway the rest of the day gave me more and more confidence and I went round clean all 4 laps and that has never happened before!! 

I really am chuffed with the beta 4t honestly feels like the perfect bike for me in my limited experience!

Can't wait for the next trial!!

IMG_20180915_123558.jpg

Edited by bentiggerwyles
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got to agree with you.

Its all personal choice, I came off a 4RT which is a wonderful bike onto a 2016 4T.

The 4T just seemed to suit me so much better, bearing in mind I’m knocking on the door of 60 years young.

I ride the black routes and 50/50, I find it so easy to ride and there are so many appearing at our local trials nowadays.

So impressed with it, I’ve just traded it in for a new 2018 4T, got a great deal off my local dealer as the 2019’s have just come out.

Got to say that was a very impressive ride you had bentiggerwyles. ??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bentiggerwyles said:

I'm so happy I was thinking of getting the arrow/bosi exhaust as heard good reviews also was going to look at jetting as heard they run lean but being 2nd hand don't know what has been done (if anything) previously.

Anyway can't wait until the next trial!

The greatest virtue of the Beta is its silence, if only I could get the 4RT as quiet.  Don't spoil it - you clearly don't need any perceived performance improvement.

• Like 3

300 4T is my first trials bike.  Have nothing to compare it to, other than many decades of dirt bikes.  Love mine.  Very confidence inspiring to try things I'd never think to attempt on another bike.  Also, if I want to ride it at home, it is so quiet the neighbors never even take notice that I'm riding it.

10 hours ago, bentiggerwyles said:

I'm so happy I was thinking of getting the arrow/bosi exhaust as heard good reviews also was going to look at jetting as heard they run lean but being 2nd hand don't know what has been done (if anything) previously.

Anyway can't wait until the next trial!

My son just sold his 300 4T with the full Arrow exhaust. If you lust for more power and the best sounding 4 stroke, do it. His particular bike ran way better than the ones with the Beta Factory exhaust. He absolutely loved it, but moved on to a `18 TRRS Raga for the weight difference. When you hop all day it is hard to beat the TRS.

NIce bike! I also have my beloved '12 Beta 4t. I did a couple of mods to it. braktec master cylinders + monobloc caliper. Finally have a really responsive front brake, brilliant for stoppies and just full control when going downhill. Clutch master improved the clutch feel & response and has lighter pull. 

For the front suspension, I'm using progressive spring and recently using 7.5wt oil and that changed the response of fork for better. Bigger jumps are much better handled. I've put an Ohlins in the back. Big improvement - traction is really good now and good for bigger jumps, it's nice & smooth.

Had a 10t front sprocket, but found that 1st gear is rarely used, and 2nd was v low too. Now i'm using 11t and think it's the better option, but I'm using arrow exhaust so have more punch. Now the 1st is much more usable. And generally rides better - especially after doing jumps, there is not so much engine braking when landing and bike behaves a bit better for me. Gonna keep it for a long time. Nothing has such a grip as me 4t. :) 

• 4 months later...

5 hours ago, dpeace444 said:

The popping seems a standard feature of these bikes perhaps...been running a 2010 300 4T for 3 years and its done this consistently and idles lovely with smooth power throughout the range etc. Maybe check other peoples views on this?

David

Mine used to pop.  Found a major and a minor problem:

Minor problem - bought from a gent in Colorado Springs, I'm at sea level.  So was way too lean.  Jetting and needle clip change resolved all the decel pop.

Major problem - the boot between the carb and intake had come off.  Talk about decel pop!

Mine starts on the first kick every time, purrs like a singer sewing machine, and virtually no pop at all.