TRS NIGHTMARE

dwb5151

first off im NOT a dealer I have never even had a ride on a trs but  been fixing trials bikes 40+years

Warranty on a competition bike ? dont matter what make  . How many  bikes ever  go back to a dealer not for repair but to get serviced or checked over  but riders expect to get full warranty back up ., This case with the TRS you have not gave any time line to it but TRS have seemed to have done all they can as for the corrosion thats a lack of maintenance as the bike is a competition bike  they do need to be looked after and maintained by the owner as the bikes live there  life in mud and water

You state the bike came back and was running perfect then another fault appears so i can not see how or why the dealer or TRS are at fault here they have doing all they can they can not fix it till it fails

Edited by on it
text

I've got a 17 RR 250 and okay I bought it used in June. I feel your pain and am living a similar nightmare. Another Friday bike. Its currently sat waiting for a new cdi as its delaminated and causing running issues. A new tank as it leaks where its moulded for the tap. It's only just had a new stator as the old 1 had corroded and was causing starting issues(not covered under warranty as it had gone rusty). It's partly melted the water pump impeller(metal insert is all loose with the recess in the seal full of melted plastic)where it boiled over due to yet another thermostat failure another impeller just split. Noticed the Bush in the chain tensioner goes very easily aswell.

It did sieze once aswell (sort of my fault, no lanyard) but that was down to previous owner not seating the o-ring on the thermostat correctly n the coolant dripping out. I never noticed the loss of coolant and had a off. It seized in a few seconds without coolant and broke another impeller 

Tbf when it runs it grips n rides lovely but seems everytime it comes out to play something goes tits up on it

Edited by mad_as_u_like

It is unfortunate that you have both had those problems. It's hard to envisage because I have run a 19 Gold for seven months and the bike is near perfect, had two separate Allen screws loosen slightly in all that time not another single issue.  Very well designed and built, performs brilliantly.

10 hours ago, mad_as_u_like said:

I've got a 17 RR 250 and okay I bought it used in June. I feel your pain and am living a similar nightmare. Another Friday bike. Its currently sat waiting for a new cdi as its delaminated and causing running issues. A new tank as it leaks where its moulded for the tap. It's only just had a new stator as the old 1 had corroded and was causing starting issues(not covered under warranty as it had gone rusty). It's melted the water pump impeller where it boiled over due to yet another thermostat failure another impeller just split. Noticed the Bush in the chain tensioner goes very easily aswell.

It did sieze once aswell (sort of my fault, no lanyard) but that was down to previous owner not seating the o-ring on the thermostat correctly n the coolant dripping out. I never noticed the loss of coolant and had a off. It seized in a few seconds without coolant and broke another impeller 

Tbf when it runs it grips n rides lovely but seems everytime it comes out to play something goes tits up on it

It must have got incredibly hot to melt a water pump impeller.,surprised you didn't notice anything amiss.,likewise the coolant leak.My 2018,280,bought secondhand had a slight leak on the tank ,same place as yours.Its easily fixed with a bead of plastic metal round it.Nothing else has gone wrong but I know if you fill the rad to the top it can pop the water pump seal as the water expands when hot.Thr pressure release valves fitted don't always work 

30 minutes ago, huski said:

It must have got incredibly hot to melt a water pump impeller.,surprised you didn't notice anything amiss.,likewise the coolant leak.My 2018,280,bought secondhand had a slight leak on the tank ,same place as yours.Its easily fixed with a bead of plastic metal round it.Nothing else has gone wrong but I know if you fill the rad to the top it can pop the water pump seal as the water expands when hot.Thr pressure release valves fitted don't always work 

I should have stated it didn't melt the whole impeller but the metal insert is all loose and plastic all in the groves of the seal but riding streams in winter t your first thought is the steam is from the water splashing on the hot engine and exhaust. 

You should only fill to the top of the fins

Edited by mad_as_u_like

44 minutes ago, mad_as_u_like said:

I should have stated it didn't melt the whole impeller but the metal insert is all loose and plastic all in the groves of the seal but riding streams in winter t your first thought is the steam is from the water splashing on the hot engine and exhaust. 

You should only fill to the top of the fins

I probably wouldn't have noticed the leak in those conditions either,the water splashing on it probably cooled it enough for it not to run badly.New CDI,probably a new piston after it seized and your problems will be over.No one round here has had any serious problems with them,but they're all 2018 or newer.Its a lottery buying used bikes,I've been lucky with mine,looks like you haven't 

1 hour ago, huski said:

I probably wouldn't have noticed the leak in those conditions either,the water splashing on it probably cooled it enough for it not to run badly.New CDI,probably a new piston after it seized and your problems will be over.No one round here has had any serious problems with them,but they're all 2018 or newer.Its a lottery buying used bikes,I've been lucky with mine,looks like you haven't 

I agree it's a chance you gotta take but I just went down hill so fast. Its had the new piston n barrel, it's also had new stator, impeller and thermostat just need to sort cdi and leaky tank

I had a similar story with my bike pressurising the rad from new (Feb 2019).

It's been a long drawn out process due to different commitments on both sides but the dealer and importer have sorted it out. The bike had gone back and forth a couple times and I had tried different o rings and head before that etc. I think I went through the process of draining the coolant and removing the rad and head 3 or 4 times. So it did take time. 

First ride out on it today and it seems to be ok but I'll give it another couple rides before I'm convinced. 

All in all, I really like the bike and have been relieved that the dealer and importer sorted it out under warranty (even collecting the bike from near me). Unfortunately, the bike is now a year old and I've only managed 24 hours on it. 

It sounds like the majority of the bikes are good but there are some stinkers out there. Most importantly, it looks like the importer is very good at dealing with issues and making sure all is good. Hopefully it continues and hopefully the brand becomes well established and remains in play for years. 

20 hours ago, on it said:

first off im NOT a dealer I have never even had a ride on a trs but  been fixing trials bikes 40+years

Warranty on a competition bike ? dont matter what make  . How many  bikes ever  go back to a dealer not for repair but to get serviced or checked over  but riders expect to get full warranty back up ., This case with the TRS you have not gave any time line to it but TRS have seemed to have done all they can as for the corrosion thats a lack of maintenance as the bike is a competition bike  they do need to be looked after and maintained by the owner as the bikes live there  life in mud and water

You state the bike came back and was running perfect then another fault appears so i can not see how or why the dealer or TRS are at fault here they have doing all they can they can not fix it till it fails

lack of maintenance, I look after my bikes extremely well. The bike hasn't been out very much and as well as this why did they put the connector right in where the engine is, where mud/water fly's up around it. Would it not make sense for it to be up in the frame like the CDI box?  Lack of maintenance the plug is supposed to be water proof. funny my old TRS never gave any problem with that plug and I rode it an extreme amount.