side stand folds by itself ?

robson

Most side stands have 2 mount points for the spring at the bracket that mounts to the swingarm.
One point self retracts with the spring and the other one allows the spring to go past centre and hold the stand in position.

Edited by kurtas
  • Thanks 1

I had that issue with a 2016 Beta 4t.  On that bike the spring would hit the end of a bolt when the stand was at full extension to make it self retract.  A shorter bolt eliminated the self retract feature.  I bought the bike used so am not sure if the long bolt was OEM or not.

It seemed to be a feature of some Italian bikes.  Ducati had them for a while.  Certainly never mandated by anyone as best I know.  I have ridden a lot of bikes over the years and only had this on a Ducati.  My TRS had the two positions as above and would self fold or not as required.

• Like 1

confirmed,  stupid EU even here messed things up.  I have in the package second spring and bracket which works as supposed to.

Really I hope EU will fall apart soon...   I had to replace/remove few kilograms of s@#$% to make bike ridable. 

Yes it is possible to change. The self retracting side stand uses a shorter spring and a small what I could only describe as an "elongated kidney" shaped piece of flat metal. This changes the pivot point so the stand always want to retract. These two pieces need to be replaced with the earlier spring part number: BT14250GG-CAT-1

It is a longer spring. I am pretty sure one of the cup head bolts that holds the side stand bracket needs to be changed for a button head so it sits flusher as well. This allows  the longer spring to rotate across the top of it and then the side stand will stay in the down position when put there. it then must be manually retracted.

The folding stand is original on the Euro homologated versions of the bike, and the non returning stand was original on USA spec bikes (sold in USA, Australia, Japan etc etc).

self-retracting-parts.png.3af9232964720f2ab33446949a2b502d.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lineaway said:

https://www.louis.eu/en-eu/magazin/rund-ums-bike/schraubertipps/tuev

Cannot be possible to drive off with side stand down.

Virtually all motorcycles are fitted with an electrical switch which prevents the engine running whilst in gear and the sidestand down.  The mechanical system of self retraction is not required.

There are a lot of regulations that cover motor vehicles.  In Europe where most countries are EU members this regulation is overseen by the EU as it simplifies the export of vehicles across borders.  A short while ago the UK left the EU and now is implementing its own type approval system for motor vehicles.  This is colloquially known as reinventing the wheel.  It also means that motor vehicles and towed equipment will need to meet UK standards (actually it is even more stupid - Northern Ireland is seperate) to be sold in the UK market.  This will increase the manufacturer's costs for the UK market and thus the price of motorvehicles, trailers and other towed equipment in the UK.

For cars this starts in 2024.  Thus far no date has been set for motorcycles.  Cars imported from other countries (e.g Audi from Germany or Ford from Spain) will need to meet UK type approval.  As the UK drives on the wrong side of the road it might not be too expensive as UK destined cars already are different to models for continental Europe.  Motorcycles, well we must wait and see.

I believe in the USA the different states have different rules?  I read about trucks not being able to cross State borders due to the different sizes of spray suppresion (mudflaps)?  Is that true or just an urban myth?

You Americans should move to the same model as the EU.  It would make things so much better for you.

I guess I should have added that trials motorcycles are not covered by Type Approval requirements as they are "competition" machines.  This is good news for all of us as whatever nonsense the UK eventually decides upon this part of motorcycling is not likley to be affected.  Engine emissions are regulated by individual countries' test standards and by competition bodies like the FIM.  Hence the introduction of fuel injection on some bikes to meet Euro 4 standards.

In the UK the 'MOT' test covers exhaust gasses but in some countries there are different rules.  France for example does not require the routine testing of motorcycles for mechanical defects.  (Controle technique).