Build Quality

euan1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had no problems with either of my gasgas pro's with reliability or build quality. It depends on what you want to do with it and how well you look after it. The gasgas, sherco and scorpa frames are all steel and will all rust if you scape the coating off then leave it untreated so if you dont want that to worry about buy a beta or a 4rt(alloy frame). If you keep on top of it they are fine, I just make sure after washing mine I give it a spraying of wd40 to stop the rust. The bikes are much of a muchness in the respect that they ALL without exception have their bad points, and my opinion is that the reliablity is directly affected by how much maintenance you do on the bike to keep it running sweet. The bikes take a lot of punishment and I find a lot of people just ride them until somthing breaks then whine saying it is unreliable, rather than doing regular preventative checks to stop things happening in the first place (remember-at the end of the day a worn bearing is cheaper to replace than rebuilding an engine after it self destructs after the bearing fails at full chat!!!). It is not hard or time consuming to do a complete inspection/ service every 6 months or so to check hard to get at items like the engine internals, suspension linkages etc,and to give you an idea I can do a knickers off stripdown on my gasgaspro nearly to the bare frame in about 1-1.5hrs.

I hope this helps.

rich

:chairfall: GasGas build quality? Oh no they don't! :chairfall:

Joking aside..You can not expect a light weight-bike like a Gas Gas Pro to be substantially sturdy, the bike has been pared down in every area to make a very noticable weight saving.

If you want build quality, look for a Montesa 4RT, just don't expect it to be light.

It's horses for courses.

I'd imagine in heaven- Colin Chapman (Lotus)-would be on a Gasser....while Isombard .K.Brunel would be on a Mont 4RT- both of them would think the other was on the wrong bike. :chairfall:

P.S. Any trials bike will rust if you let it! :chairfall:

Good analagy ham2,

I think most of the trials riders are very opinionated(though not as much as jez clarkson on top gear) and biased towards the bikes they ride so the best advice is to disregard what people tell you, try them all and go with what you feel comfortable with. There is in my mind, no such thing as a bad manufacture of trials bike, just careless owners!!

Edited by rhaines

in my opinion all the latest bikes are excellent.In all my years of biking,i`ve never known a frame break from normal use.Trials bikes get a lot of abuse,they need looking after.We all get a bit slack with this maintenance thing now and again,but it pays to keep it up.

I came back from practising the other day and took my bike (sherco )straight off the trailer and into the garage.I normally clean it,but `cos i was tired out i thought i would "do it tommorow".Well tomorrow happened a week later,when i went onto the garage,the bike wass covvered in furry deposits off salt,(from the gritters)and some of the spokes hade gone rusty,and also a feww nicks on the frame had rusted.I was mad at my self for leaving it.I just spent the rest of the day cleaning it up,then sprayed it with WD,but all just proves that you gotta look after`em!! :chairfall:

Edited by gasgasssser

Owned a 02 Beta 250, 04 Gas Gas 280, 04 Raga 300 and now an 06 250 Pro. All three Gassers have been very reliable, you just need to stay on top of them mechanically. I have a simple routine of cleaning, inspecting and servicing my bikes every week during our riding season. I have never had a mechanical prevent me from completing an event. Quality wise, they are not quite as good as a Montesa or Beta but they ride so well that a little more maintenance is well worth it in my opinion.

on our 4th gasser owned, only ever had minor problems that could affect any bike,eg wheel bearings ,themostat switch.i think that gassers do probably require a bit more maintainance between events than some other brands do, but well worth the trouble for the way they handle and perform.would not recommend a gas gas if you want to ride it then dump it in the shed for the week and drag it out for the next event. if you want to do this i would recommend a jap engined bike.

hi sherco 125

What do you mean by not strong?

I know raga is like a spelk but he can throw the bike around more than most and Ive never seen him break one yet!

Whoops!

You spoke too soon, just saw this on the indoortrial.com website.

Bob

post-1035-1141501267.jpg

had 5 gas gas pro's and they were all very reliable, never let me down but the build quality is not brilliant, however!!! if you are willing to spend time maintenance wise on them and also do some preparation to them before you ride them, it will be a good bike. go on the gas gas uk website and look at the ssdt checklist thing they have up, it will give you some good basic advice/tips on sealing the airbox and other general prep tips, its quite a good basis to go on.