Build Quality

euan1

The thing about lemmings (little known fact) ;) is that they are not suicidal creatures at all, it just happens that way. They are committed to one route on a direction and never deviate, bit like all these maoners who have never owned such a highly developed machine let alone looked afterone or any other for that matter.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havn't had loads of bikes,

The 05 Pro is my first realy modern trials, (have a knackerd 1992 gasser on the mend)

BUT i totally love the bike, and after every ride i:

-wash it

-WD40 it

-polish it

-take the flywheel cover off to let it dry

-check the spokes and all other parts for lose bolts etc.

-use back to black :D

And the bike is great, its fine, no problems, If you did this for all bikes then surely ANY would last, if you dont then its going to go down the tube.

After all, most problems start from a neglected minor symptom ?? ;)

I was talking to a mechanic at a shop, and he said,...."the montesa's dont come back but the gassers always seem to"

'as in they come back for a trade on the new model'.

Is this because they are poor build quality, or !! :

-GasGas are continually developing and ppl want to keep up,

-or because there popula people want to be poser's !!!

Up to you really, take all advice with a pinch of salt, if you look after anybike it will last..

... No ?? :blink:

Edited by Magicmat

The thing about lemmings (little known fact) ;)  is that they are not suicidal creatures at all, it just happens that way. They are committed to one route on a direction and never deviate, bit like all these maoners who have never owned such a highly developed machine let alone looked afterone or any other for that matter.

Exactly that, GasGas are the only manufacturer that are constantly pushing the envelope of the performance and design of their trials bikes, not because they have too, but because they can.

Over the last few years with the constant development of the pro gasgas are leading the field in way trials bikes are designed and the materials that are used in their manufacture. All we hear are people moaning that gasgas bikes are crap, unreliable, poor quality, yada yada yada and personally I am sick of hearing it so here is something for them to think about which I am sure will put nettles in their underpants!.

If you wanted to buy a high performance car at the cutting edge of technology would you buy a ferrari or a volvo?? You would buy a ferrari...why, because you would be buying one of the most advanced, most beautiful mechanical acheivements on the planet. Of course the downside of owning that great handling, great looking, lightweight, high performance, but high maintenance car is that it is not going to be as reliable as a 'normal' car. You already know that but you would still buy it wouldn't you, because if you wanted it to be reliable that only needed servicing after you have driven to the moon and back and built of two tons of pig iron so it is a sturdy as the forth bridge you would buy the volvo!!

By no means am I comparing a gasgas to a ferrari but my point is that if you want to buy a bike that the manufacturer has put reliability higher on their wish list than performance don't buy a gasgas. Don't just whine about them just because you do not like the fact that they do things different than everyone else, and when someone comes up with a bike that will outperform the gasgas pro I will streak through section 2 at hawkstone park!!!

:D

Rich, your post on the gasgas / Ferrari analogy is extremely entertaining-

The Gasser is a nice and easy to ride bike, but please – superior performance, cutting edge of technology !!!! … get real !

As always mate, no offence intended, this is simply a debate and I couldn’t resist the soap box this time …

;)

Suppose that's why there's 4 or 5 patents on the Pro's design.

And what patents are these then? and what are they for. ? I cant see anything in the design that makes it superior to any other bike.

The guy wanted a response on build quality of the gas gas. I don't think its fair to have beta, sherco, and monty guys jumping in to say their 93 JT270 sucked. Why don't you let the guys actually riding the bike in question give you their opinion instead of the biased reviews by other bike owners.

I feel that gas gas does have a great package of a bike. Small, light, powerful and its just what you want in a trials bike at highish levels of the sport.

Those patents are on the new clutch and engine internals. These allow the gasser to use 3 plates over 6.

I'd also like to comment on the rear fenders. The Gassers are two piece deals that if you use tie wraps or plastic bolts you can almost never break a fender. Where other bikes with the one piece fenders often snap easily and bam, you're putting down a bunch of money for some new plastic while us GG riders are laughing and putting new 5 cent tie wraps on. :D

The only problems being stupid fit and finish things that can a be a bit annoying but hey, you can get that with any bike and they are all easily fixable. Just keep up with maintainance and you'll be fine. I assure you that you won't be breaking frames like those pics above considering you aren't doing the stuff Raga is. (OOOO can I jump in on Monty's triple clamps and frame? Remember Duluth with Lampkin?! That thing snapped like a twig so the monty must have a crap frame, be careful!!!! lol) Also remember that those sherco riders have to buy the whole muffler system really to do any repairs or repack it. Now what kind of innovation is that? My gasser is as easy as two rivets and a quick exchange and we're done. So there. Also I hear betas eat their electrical components and the hydralics are a bit sketchy at times.

See what I mean? If you guys want to bring your crap in here, prepare to get it back. ;)

Edited by Dman

Those patents are on the new clutch and engine internals. These allow the gasser to use 3 plates over 6.

My comments weren’t decrying the gasgas machine, I am genuinely interested in what gasgas have patented and any other bike manufacture come to that. I'm in the business of engineering innovation so this is of interest to me that’s all. So what are the perceived benefits of this clutch design (besides being lighter I presume)