Ethanol free petrol or lowest ethanol content petrol

stpauls

The link you provided answers your own question, pump gas is ‘government mandated’ to contain ethanol, your only options are race fuel or fuel intended for aircraft because you can’t use ethanol in an airplane.

50 minutes ago, lemur said:

The link you provided answers your own question, pump gas is ‘government mandated’ to contain ethanol, your only options are race fuel or fuel intended for aircraft because you can’t use ethanol in an airplane.

This is what the information says - "Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps."

However, I believe this information may be out of date?  

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

I've been using tescos finest e10, 50:1 with octane booster in an 1985 rotax with no issues. It does have a modern ignition and newish carb, and runs very well. What problems are you having with modern petrol ?

I have been assured by a professional mechanic that his customer's Rover P3 has had "lots of problems" (non specific) and had to change all sorts of things (non specific) as a result of the E10.  I didn't know they had plastic tanks in the 1940s but hey - I'm more of a bike man than a car man.

• Thanks 1

Ethanol being basically corn alcohol is more likely to be prevalent in fuel produced in North America.  The problem with ethanol fuel is its ability to contain up to an equal volume of water and still be considered ethanol.  Oil and water as we all know does not mix and many of us premix oil in our fuel to operate in a 2-stroke motor.  Here in Canada we obtain much of our fuel from the USA but unlike most of the USA we live in a moist climate that experience huge temperature changes that cause condensation.  Several things become a problem as a result of all this, for one we are potentially paying outrageous money for buying watered down fuel, two we can experience water separation in the fuel which can cause problems in the engines and three is freezing temps that can cause ice.  Literally ymmv. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, b40rt said:

I've been using tescos finest e10, 50:1 with octane booster in an 1985 rotax with no issues. It does have a modern ignition and newish carb, and runs very well. What problems are you having with modern petrol ?

Problems:

1.  Dissolves tank liners, including Kreem and Flowliner.

2. Dissolves O rings in fuel lines.

3. Corrodes aluminium alloys in carburettors.

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stpauls said:

Problems:

1.  Dissolves tank liners, including Kreem and Flowliner.

2. Dissolves O rings in fuel lines.

Not to mention long term storage. Fuel with ethanol seems to "go bad" three to four times faster than ethanol free.

Ethanol, or something in the fuel is f****ing with my older petcocks and other carb parts. Really is causing a bit of grief, old small fuel systems that never caused problems are ganging up on me. I can only suspect it is the ethanol, hard to stay on top of, I must have 20 small engines around the house.

• Sad 1

Honestly try a product like ethanol shield. About 15m! To 5litre of petrol. My chainsaw, leaf blower etc all sit for ages unused then start no problem. Stops the ethanol absorbing water (apparently) and stops petrol going "off"

If the problem is affecting all of your small engines?  The typical solution to deal with water in fuel is gas line antifreeze which consists largely of isopropyl alcohol.  You can’t really ‘stop’ the nature of ethanol once it is added to the gasoline all you can do is add more alcohol of a different nature, petroleum distillates or lubricants having a different chemical composition in the hope to address a specific problem.  If all else fails try race fuel instead of pump fuel, bearing in mind that all ICE fuels are solvents of some kind.