Need Help With Brakes

goffracing

Ok i finally got a trials bike after years of wanting and searching I got a 97 beta techno yes the purple one :wall:

now maybe its just me but the brakes dont really work that great it is almost impossible to lock up the rear tire even with clutch pulled and the front is really the same way you really have to use two fingers on lever to do a stoppie any help or suggestions i have cleaned them scuffed them and made them very hot and poored water on them and that kinda worked for a little bit but still not good. help please.

thanks.

i dont have any trials around me so no place to really shop for parts does anyone know what brake pads cross over to the beta techno?

maybe something i could get at a regular bike shop.. and thanks for the advice i will change the pads and fluid i was just wanting to make sure they werent normal because i really thought they would work much better than they do.

thanks for all of the help guys i really appreciate it... i called my local motorbike shop and ask about the galfer numbers and there a no go but could be ordered i will get some asap and do a brake service. again thanks.

im really liking riding this bike im an enduro rider so hopefully this will help me improve and r2w you are my hero with all of those cool vids you come up with.. awesome job.

My first trials bike was also a 97 Beta gotta love the purple :D

I had the same issue with the brakes and there really bad when wet.No pads or amount of bleeding helped me.For the front I put on a newer 4 piston AJP front caliper off a newer Beta.It has the same bolt pattern.After that it worked much better :wall:

Check your rear brakes too on mine the rotor didn't cover all the way to the top of the pads so as the pads wore down the parts that didn't touch the rotor came togther and the pads just pushed against each other not the rotor. Then no brakes :blink: I hope that made since.Just file down the tops of the pads.

I don't know how your clutch is but, mine was real grabby until I put Elf oil in it, then nice and smooth.

Have fun

Golfracing,

I rode a 96 Techno for several years. It is a great bike, but the brakes are a real problem. No matter what you do, the stock brakes will only ever be marginal.

After a couple of years, I added a 4 piston caliper to the front and an oversized rotor to the rear. That solved the problem. The front was a bolt on. The rear was more involves as it required modifications to the caliper mounting.

I live in west Georgia. What part of Alabama are you in?

Are you planning on making the STRA event at the TTC on the 23?

Best people to talk to about Beta parts is Beta USA. They will have all of your parts in stock.

In case you have any interest, I kept the 4 piston caliper when I sold my Techno. It has been sitting on my work bench for 4 years. I planned on keeping it for a rainy day, but I would sell it for $50.

SirHC's post about the rear rotor not completely covering the rear pads is important. You must occasionally remove the ridge that forms on the pads.

Post back and maybe we can get together for a ride sometime.

Ron Milam