Beginners Guide

Andy

It's been suggested that I put a "Beginners Guide" page (or pages) together on the site that newcomers or those curious about the sport could be directed to. Being a non-rider myself, it's not the sort of thing I fancy writing. With the number of people on here and the wealth of experience there must be somebody willing to put fingers to keyboard. Any volunteers? <_<

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been suggested that I put a "Beginners Guide" page (or pages) together on the site that newcomers or those curious about the sport could be directed to. Being a non-rider myself, it's not the sort of thing I fancy writing. With the number of people on here and the wealth of experience there must be somebody willing to put fingers to keyboard. Any volunteers? <_<

I'll help out if I can Andy. I'm new again and love sharing ideas and hashing out questions with similarly experienced types.

What did you have in mind and what would it require of me?

Maybe a FAQ thread? I had no idea you were a non-rider. Is that correct? You do an awesme job here!

Thanks!

Could make a kind of wiki for beginners,

Have a number of articles submitted, that may have modifications done by others or suggested, that cover:

-buying first bike

-changing oil

-checking bearings common faults

-techniques etc..etc..

you could even encoporate the modification of the wikki into the 'trials central supporter' thing ??

I wouldnt mind doing something,..but im still learning myself. (doing engine rebuild and odd jobs)...still week of exams tho ! agghh !!

Bad idea ? good idea ? not plausible.. ??

:P<_<:stoned::beer: Andy , I admire all your hard work , but from my humble opinion ,, there is PLENTY of information for " Newbies " posted all over your wonderful site. Personally , I wouldn"t bother. Sincerely , joe315r. Oh , Well , Now I feel like the Christmas Stooge.

actually IMHO its a great idea

the basic technical stuff, where to find local events, the mastery of of getting an ACU trials affiliation / SACU licence, etc - it allows people to tailor advice for a particular area

the benefit of a wiki format it that we can update it easily and while everyone can edit it, there are bots and recent edit watchlists to allow you to keep an eye on vandalism

the benefit of a wiki format it that we can update it easily and while everyone can edit it, there are bots and recent edit watchlists to allow you to keep an eye on vandalism

This is important - I've had problems with wikis being effectively rendered useless by spambots. Wiki evangelists will say that it's against the spirit of the wiki ethos but the only workable solution is to make it only editable by nominated persons (TC members only.) Depending on which package is chosen it might be quite a bit of effort to integrate it with the TC user database but it'll mean far less of an administrative overhead in the long term.

Actually: http://www.ipbwiki.com/Ipb_Wiki:Integratio..._with_MediaWiki

I think the point of only allowing TC members the advance of editing is a valid reason and one that i expected to happen.

But i like the idea, all the information in one place in a clear format rather than sifting through loads of posts that arn't relevant?

I'd be up for helping out.

Mat

I think a beginners guide is an excellent idea. I've only just started myself and it can be a bit daunting if you don't know people who have been doing it for years. Things like:

A guide to what obstacles require what gear.

Tyre pressures.

How to attack obstacles and not fall off.

Confidence.

Overcoming fear and unfamiliarity of terrain.

How the marking system works.

Reading course markers.

Types of rules (no stop etc...)

Where to ride.

The importance of being an observer.

I have been riding road bikes for 20 years now and this trials thing is like starting from scratch, the more people are actively taking part, the more clout we will have when the Fun Gestapo try and eradicate us. Encouraging noobs is vital. I'll volunteer to write stuff as I learn it myself if that's any use to you.

Buy bike, ride bike, crash a lot, get better, still crash a lot, have fun, spend less time washing bike and more time riding it. Easy.

Oh and dont make up silly internet names to hide behind so you can talk on here and pretend your good at trials and know everything when your actually rubbish..............

Edited by Lennie